Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there such thing as too much meat? Dizziness page

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member

Question Is there such thing as too much meat? Dizziness

Primal Fuel
    5 hours after eating a very generous ration of meat with olive oil I started feeling dizzy, I've read somewhere else that it might be because of low sugar due to digestion* so I ate a bit of dark chocolate and now I'm much better.

But my question is, might I be eating too much meat? I've read that (in the book I think) that is practically impossible to eat too much meat as its protein content is extremely filling, but what if I did anyway?

*Due to iron, apparently

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    It's not so much the meat, it could be the high amount of protein in your system with the absence of sugar and starch.

I developed hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) after eating ANYTHING a week after a went very low carb. I wasn't even a diabetic and very healthy. I never suffered such an episode, and they continued until I upped carbs to 100-150g and added starch and fruit.

What else are you eating? Beware of low carb. I know you're lean and young, so am I. I had no reason to restrict carbohydrates so severely. Carbohydrate restriction for healthy and developing individuals can be dangerous. Eat more CARBS.

I'm just assuming your carbohydrate intake is low. Don't just eat meat, eat vegetables or some potatoes with it. Eat some fruits after a meal, don't resort to dark chocolate and sugar. It could be iron but it doesn't sound like you had this issue before. Don't jeopardise your health and forget the idea that fat can efficiently replace carbohydrates as a reliable, healthy and stable fuel source. Don't get sucked into the low carbohydrate dogma.

If you want help you can always message me. Read the book. I can tell you some scary experiences about when I went low carb as a healthy, young and lean male and I did it right but it never worked out. x1 your lean body mass weight in lbs to determine an appropriate protein intake. For example, I'm 130 lbs and consume about 100-120g protein a day.

You are young. Stop over thinking it. Going by your previous posts, you don't even gain weight on a typical diet and your health is fine. Why are you doing Primal? Don't compromise your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    It's not so much the meat, it could be the high amount of protein in your system with the absence of sugar and starch.

I developed hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) after eating ANYTHING a week after a went very low carb. I wasn't even a diabetic and very healthy. I never suffered such an episode, and they continued until I upped carbs to 100-150g and added starch and fruit.

What else are you eating? Beware of low carb. I know you're lean and young, so am I. I had no reason to restrict carbohydrates so severely. Carbohydrate restriction for healthy and developing individuals can be dangerous. Eat more CARBS.

I'm just assuming your carbohydrate intake is low. Don't just eat meat, eat vegetables or some potatoes with it. Eat some fruits after a meal, don't resort to dark chocolate and sugar. It could be iron but it doesn't sound like you had this issue before. Don't jeopardise your health and forget the idea that fat can efficiently replace carbohydrates as a reliable, healthy and stable fuel source. Don't get sucked into the low carbohydrate dogma.

If you want help you can always message me. Read the book. I can tell you some scary experiences about when I went low carb as a healthy, young and lean male and I did it right but it never worked out. x1 your lean body mass weight in lbs to determine an appropriate protein intake. For example, I'm 130 lbs and consume about 100-120g protein a day.

You are young. Stop over thinking it. Going by your previous posts, you don't even gain weight on a typical diet and your health is fine. Why are you doing Primal? Don't compromise your health.
    Ah... congratulations, you're the first primal skeptic I've found here

My carbohydrate intake has lowered recently, the only carbohydrates I eat are a couple of vegetables and fruits and a little bit of dark chocolate.

According to your formula I would need around 121 grams a day... I think I eat around 50% more, is that a problem? Should I decrease that quantity 50% and increase my fruit and fats intake or something?

And about doing primal if my health is "fine" anyway, I would like to tell you (you might have missed the post) that before starting primal I had IBS, only for that (and many other reasons) I will never ever stop going primal. What I might do is to add more fruits to my diet and even possibly a little starch.

But thanks for your comment anyway!

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I think less meat and more fruit and starchy carbs would be good, based on what you've posted. It sounds to me like you probably are eating too much meat and not enough of other things.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You can eat too much meat (protein) but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can eat too much meat (protein) but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.
    Are you sure? I'm eating meat in really big rations (my definition of big is different from the american one, but still big) and I've never felt more filled after my meals (I cannot even think of eating chocolate up to 4 hours after eating a large meal).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I think less meat and more fruit and starchy carbs would be good, based on what you've posted. It sounds to me like you probably are eating too much meat and not enough of other things.
    What are "other things" for you? More fruit? More fat? I don't eat nuts nor dairy (butter excluded) and vegetables take too much time to be eaten to consider doubling my rations (I tried to do it and I spent 2 hours a day eating).

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    As I said, more fruit, starchy carbs, and/or fat. I can't tell you exactly what to eat, you'll have to figure out what's right for you on your own. If you're not feeling well, it's not right. If eating carbs helps the dizzy feeling, I would suspect you need more carbs.

You don't have to eat nuts or dairy.

How does it take a long time to eat broccoli (or any other vegetable)? You don't have to eat a whole plate of it.

If you're not interested in eating vegetables, do a search on the forum for carnivores. Paleobird is currently eating a nearly all-meat diet and doing quite well. It's not for everyone, but she might have some insight.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    As I said, more fruit, starchy carbs, and/or fat. I can't tell you exactly what to eat, you'll have to figure out what's right for you on your own. If you're not feeling well, it's not right. If eating carbs helps the dizzy feeling, I would suspect you need more carbs.

You don't have to eat nuts or dairy.

How does it take a long time to eat broccoli (or any other vegetable)? You don't have to eat a whole plate of it.

If you're not interested in eating vegetables, do a search on the forum for carnivores. Paleobird is currently eating a nearly all-meat diet and doing quite well. It's not for everyone, but she might have some insight.
    I don't take too much to eat cauliflower or broccoli, the problem is in the salad, I need up to 30 minutes to eat a whole salad.

I won't risk too much trying being carnivore (specially since I don't have access to quality meat) but I'll try to eat more carbs. But just wondering, if the real problem was hypoglycemia, why did I have hypoglycemia on first place? Shouldn't the body make its own carb supply when there aren't carbs on the diet? Did I enter ketosis or something?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The amount of protein you must have is 0.7 gr / 1kg lean body mass or approx 1 gr / body mass. Depending on your amount of exercise or lack of, more protein than that may be converted to carbs or spilled into urine. But it shouldn't hurt you IF you are already well adapted to paleo/primal. Therefore, if your join date is when you started primal, the problem may be that you are not yet well-adapted.

I'd suggest reducing the protein, adding more carbs, and generally slowing down the changes until your body has more time to adapt.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast