Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there such thing as too much meat? Dizziness page 2

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    The amount of protein you must have is 0.7 gr / 1kg lean body mass or approx 1 gr / body mass. Depending on your amount of exercise or lack of, more protein than that may be converted to carbs or spilled into urine. But it shouldn't hurt you IF you are already well adapted to paleo/primal. Therefore, if your join date is when you started primal, the problem may be that you are not yet well-adapted.

I'd suggest reducing the protein, adding more carbs, and generally slowing down the changes until your body has more time to adapt.
    Well, I'm a fan of the extremes, so I might have been too quick with the changes, do you mean that after a couple of months I shouldn't have problems with excess protein and hypoglycemia?

Mikee5 is online now Senior Member
    I'm not a Primal skeptic, I truly believe in Primal but I don't support the idea of Mark advocating a lower carbohydrate intake and, in my opinion, the misleading and flawed 'carbohydrate curve'.

Ketosis and low carbohydrate dieting is for people with very damaged metabolisms who have been consuming processed foods excessively for prolonged periods of time, i.e. older folk, morbidly obese individuals, those who are extremely metobically resistant etc. and only for a temporary period of time, where one can successfully gradually increase carbohydrate consumption.

There are so many health risks associated with low carb, it affects your hormones, thyroid, develops insulin resistence etc. the VLC folk here can disagree with me and that's fine, but the experiences of some who have restricted carbohydrates for a prologned period of time is enough to prove anybody wrong. Young people especially need to avoid glucose deprivation, it will destroy your organs, destroy hormone balance, rapid aging, fatigue, overall poor mental clarity and uncertainty.

What young man eats green vegetables and limited fruit for glucose? Bake some sweet potato (I prefer white) fries, eat bananas, eat white rice. These are all good sources of starch and provide immediate energy. Eat berries, apples, grapes, oranges etc. you NEED sugar. Just enjoy Primal foods overall. I seriously suggest you increase your carbohydrates immediately before your blood sugar drops too low with all that protein and no sugar or starch. I had moments where I was unalert and disorientated after an omelette or steak so severely I had to lay down and my father nearly called an ambulance. Do you know that your electrolytes are probably out of whack, too? You don't eat dairy so minimum calcium and you have limited vegetables and fruit so limited potassium and magnesium. Just research the defeciency symptoms of each of these minerals.

I better stop before I get attacked lolz. I am not diagnosing you, I'm not a nutritionist, just speaking from experience and research. Please forget the idea of ketosis. Primal isn't a meat-only diet. Vegetables and fruits are more nutritious, starch and sugar works wonders for energy and protein builds strength and also provides energy. Fat is great for satiation. If you want to know more and need help you can always message me.
    Last edited by Mikee5; 06-19-2013 at 01:00 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    Are you sure? I'm eating meat in really big rations (my definition of big is different from the american one, but still big) and I've never felt more filled after my meals (I cannot even think of eating chocolate up to 4 hours after eating a large meal).
    All I know is that after a while I seem to have had my fill and the thought of any more protein is positively revolting. It has nothing to do with portion size. It has more to do with eating more than I need for a while and having it catch up to me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    Well, I'm a fan of the extremes, so I might have been too quick with the changes, do you mean that after a couple of months I shouldn't have problems with excess protein and hypoglycemia?
    You could hardly find anyone on this forum will less background knowledge about nutrition or bio-chemistry. LOL. I do know that it has taken my body much longer to adjust to changes in diet, even small ones, than i had expected. This also seems to be true of many others on the forum. And I have learned to listen to my bodies messages (responses) which are now real, pertinent, loud and clear. They were non-existant at first. But to do that I've had to slow way down on the changes and just do one at a time, which is difficult and annoying to me. But I've finally understood that each change has real effects that take my body time to adjust to.

Paleobird, who is now fully carnivore, has been working toward that for over 5 years. A good lesson in patience. I've noticed a good number of members here who jump into VLC (50 - 100 g), have bad responses, and forever after spout the more starch advice. I often think that their body just did not have time to adjust or the change was too great for adjustment and instead induced more problems.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    I'm not a Primal skeptic, I truly believe in Primal but I don't support the idea of Mark advocating a lower carbohydrate intake and, in my opinion, the misleading and flawed 'carbohydrate curve'.

Ketosis and low carbohydrate dieting is for people with very damaged metabolisms who have been consuming processed foods excessively for prolonged periods of time, i.e. older folk, morbidly obese individuals, those who are extremely metobically resistant etc. and only for a temporary period of time, where one can successfully gradually increase carbohydrate consumption.

There are so many health risks associated with low carb, it affects your hormones, thyroid, develops insulin resistence etc. the VLC folk here can disagree with me and that's fine, but the experiences of some who have restricted carbohydrates for a prologned period of time is enough to prove anybody wrong. Young people especially need to avoid glucose deprivation, it will destroy your organs, destroy hormone balance, rapid aging, fatigue, overall poor mental clarity and uncertainty.

What young man eats green vegetables and limited fruit for glucose? Bake some sweet potato (I prefer white) fries, eat bananas, eat white rice. These are all good sources of starch and provide immediate energy. Eat berries, apples, grapes, oranges etc. you NEED sugar. Just enjoy Primal foods overall. I seriously suggest you increase your carbohydrates immediately before your blood sugar drops too low with all that protein and no sugar or starch.

I better stop before I get attacked lolz. I am not diagnosing you, I'm not a nutritionist, just speaking from experience and research. Please forget the idea of ketosis. Primal isn't a meat-only diet. Vegetables and fruits are more nutritious, starch and sugar works wonders for energy and protein builds strength and also provides energy. Fat is great for satiation. If you want to know more and need help you can always message me.
    OK, got it. I won't eat white rice and if I can I'll avoid starches in favour of tons of fruit, but I'll follow your advice on carbs. Though I'm really not sure that very low carb is so dangerous anyway, but fruit is very nutritive so...

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    You could hardly find anyone on this forum will less background knowledge about nutrition or bio-chemistry. LOL. I do know that it has taken my body much longer to adjust to changes in diet, even small ones, than i had expected. This also seems to be true of many others on the forum. And I have learned to listen to my bodies messages (responses) which are now real, pertinent, loud and clear. They were non-existant at first. But to do that I've had to slow way down on the changes and just do one at a time, which is difficult and annoying to me. But I've finally understood that each change has real effects that take my body time to adjust to.

Paleobird, who is now fully carnivore, has been working toward that for over 5 years. A good lesson in patience.
    Interesting... OK, I'll do it the opposite way, I'll super-primalize me with a fairly high amount of carbs from fruit and then I'll listen to my body to fine-tune everything.

And about lack of background knowledge, about whom are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    All I know is that after a while I seem to have had my fill and the thought of any more protein is positively revolting. It has nothing to do with portion size. It has more to do with eating more than I need for a while and having it catch up to me.
    Well, that seems the key to eating only three or even twice a day! That would save me a lot of time every day and/or allow me to eat more vegetables!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Meat contains cysteine which will turn off your thyroid if not eaten with something like gelatin for amino acid balance. Eventually it will make you tired. Eating some carbs with it helps but that's not really the main issue.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Meat contains cysteine which will turn off your thyroid if not eaten with something like gelatin for amino acid balance. Eventually it will make you tired. Eating some carbs with it helps but that's not really the main issue.
    Your pseudoscience is showing.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Somebody tell me what's happening please?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast