Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glucose tolerance test page 2

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    if you want to replicate the original test then
    check your fasting BS
    Dissolve 75g of sugar in 50 ml water -drink it. note the time.
    test blood sugar regularly but the main one is 2 hours exactly after ingesting the glucose. This is the diagnostic result:
    A 2 hour GTT glucose level below 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) is normal, higher glucose levels indicate hyperglycaemia.
    Blood plasma glucose between 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) and 11.1 mmol/L (200 mg/dL) indicate impaired glucose tolerance. levels above 11.1 mmol/L (200 mg/dL) at 2 hours confirms a diagnosis of diabetes.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    sugar is not the same as glucose you know ... GI index quite lower so you would get different results than with pure glucose.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    sugar is not the same as glucose you know ... GI index quite lower so you would get different results than with pure glucose.
    true but who has glucose. you're not going to get identical results using capillary blood either- home tests are home tests after all
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    true but who has glucose. you're not going to get identical results using capillary blood either- home tests are home tests after all
    But I understood that the OP had a test 1 year ago. What one wants is to compare results from identical procedures I think. But maybe the test was using sugar in the first place ??

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    But I understood that the OP had a test 1 year ago. What one wants is to compare results from identical procedures I think. But maybe the test was using sugar in the first place ??
    the OPs test was via a Dr so would've been glucose and venous blood. You can buy glucose powder I believe so they could do that and be closer but there's no way round the capillary testing with a home blood test so the results wouldn't be identical. Theyd be near enough as a good indicator though.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sugar would be a fine substitute for glucose, but may yield slightly different results. I think a big potato is probably closer to the glucose load you get at the docs. But any sugar would work. Just make sure to take good notes for follow up tests to compare with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12