Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: For or Against - Coffee drinking is beneficial to health? page 4

  1. #31
    aliphian's Avatar
    aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    432
    Expresso. I thought the spanish word for "fast" was "rapido".
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

  2. #32
    jackaaron's Avatar
    jackaaron is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What is "truly cold brewed coffee"? What is the "Japanese method"? How do you know it has less caffeine? Less caffeine than what?
    Well some people think cold brewed is hot brewed coffee that was either left to cool or eventually cooled with ice. The Japanese method of cold brewing does heat coffee first but it is immediately thrown on ice and the amount if ice is considered as part of overall taste. The Japanese method is cold brewing but I don't like it.
    The cold brewing method that I feel works best takes forever so you have to make a lot (IMO) and you enjoy it throughout the week. What happens is you use a Central American bean (you can use others but I find these are best for this method) and its ground. You pour room temp water on it and it stands for 16 to 20 hours. Then you filter it with a very good filter (there should be no grounds) and you have a concentrate that you can mix water milk whatever with it. Probably 2:1 ratio since its a concentrate. It's FAR less acidic, and has less caffein than a typically hot brewed coffee. If you're interested you should research it there is a LOT of info out there on how to find the best way for you. Or if you don't want to make your own and just want to try some I would try Secret Squirrel.

  3. #33
    oceangrl's Avatar
    oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,969
    I do cold brew but use my french press. I dont get as much volume as the above poster but its very easy.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #34
    jackaaron's Avatar
    jackaaron is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    64
    I should say that even though I mention cold brew, I still end up having it hot. I just get the concentrate out of the fridge, heat up some water, and add the hot water to the cold brew. Obviously you could have it any way you want.

  5. #35
    infinitewellness's Avatar
    infinitewellness is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you on the 'crap coffee' part, but do you have any way of substantiating the rest of your claim?
    Isn't sugar bad for us? Causing inflammation and what not... I'm pretty sure I've read that sugar is not that great for us all over this forum and website? Am I missing something about sugar? Coffee + Sugar = Good for us?

    And when I mean crap milk, I mean the milk from factory farm cows... and skim milk.

    Coffee can be good for some, bad for others. And is coffee with sugar and conventional milk beneficial overall? I doubt it.
    Last edited by infinitewellness; 07-11-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Missing words

  6. #36
    Cyborcat's Avatar
    Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    390
    Coffee is good for my mental health. And, by extention, the physical health of everyone around me =P

  7. #37
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    The cold brewing method that I feel works best takes forever so you have to make a lot (IMO) and you enjoy it throughout the week. What happens is you use a Central American bean (you can use others but I find these are best for this method) and its ground. You pour room temp water on it and it stands for 16 to 20 hours. Then you filter it with a very good filter (there should be no grounds) and you have a concentrate that you can mix water milk whatever with it. Probably 2:1 ratio since its a concentrate. It's FAR less acidic, and has less caffein than a typically hot brewed coffee. If you're interested you should research it there is a LOT of info out there on how to find the best way for you. Or if you don't want to make your own and just want to try some I would try Secret Squirrel.
    THIS!
    Is. Cold. Brewing.

    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  8. #38
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitewellness View Post
    Isn't sugar bad for us? Causing inflammation and what not... I'm pretty sure I've read that sugar is not that great for us all over this forum and website? Am I missing something about sugar? Coffee + Sugar = Good for us?

    And when I mean crap milk, I mean the milk from factory farm cows... and skim milk.

    Coffee can be good for some, bad for others. And is coffee with sugar and conventional milk beneficial overall? I doubt it.
    Okay, I'm not going to argue the pro/anti sugar stance. Most fruit has lots of sugar in it too, and honey is almost identical to sugar. Both perfectly Paleo and Primal.
    It also sounded to me from your first post that adding sugar or/and milk to coffee would somehow alter it and cancel out its benefits.
    Last edited by Graycat; 07-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.

  9. #39
    infinitewellness's Avatar
    infinitewellness is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Okay, I'm not going to argue the pro/anti sugar stance. Most fruit has lots of sugar in it too, and honey is almost identical to sugar. Both perfectly Paleo and Primal.
    It also sounded to me from your first post that adding sugar or/and milk to coffee would somehow alter it and cancel out its benefits.
    Would you not think it would cancel the benefits if using white sugar and skim milk.
    Would you think the above would be more beneficial than no sugar and using raw organic milk?

    This forum sure has changed from when I was around in 2010. Now sugar is acceptable. I thought we were meant to be eating food that nature intended... the sugar that most people in SAD use is processed refined sugar.

    Oh well. Not my problem. I can't save the world.

  10. #40
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,933
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mark Sisson admittedly uses a tea spoon in his morning coffee daily.

    As to saving the world, sugar in it self is the least of its problems.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •