Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to go Primal? Drop the wife or husband (Rule #11) page 3

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Real evidence shows that given no cultural constraints, most people practice serial monogamy. Serial monogamy would be in the best interest of males who wanted to make sure their own progeny had the best chance of survival, by helping the mother care for them until they were 4 or 5 years old and able to get around and help the tribe. The team effort also results in greater survival rates for all family members.

The idea that babies will be much better off if "the tribe" raises them has been around for a long time. The translation for people who are not familiar with it is that guys who say this want somebody else to pay for the babies they father and don't want to have to contribute monetarily, emotionally, or physically to the rearing of their own or somebody else's kids. They want it to be optional, and they want somebody else to pick up the tab. But it's looked down on generally to speak out in favor of men abandoning their kids and baby mommies.

I'm sure you don't explain that in advance to women you are hoping to have sex with.
    that's really not very fair or true.

My objection to nuclear-family memes is that they restrict me from participating in children's development. We talk about that on this forum a lot, how there are so many fuckin awful parents. The people raising kids collectively would neutralize this shittiness.

But aren't women like, hardwired to be selfish monsters about their children? Are their studies about that?

Like is it literally in their brain "Fuck those hungry kids- mine are gettin the good parts of that kill!"
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Yeah.... well, sucks to be them, BUT they could put some effort into getting wealthy to maybe cut in on the hot Alpha Male action?
    well in a primal setting, there really was not wealth beyond reputation and personal glory as a product of individual fitness.

But in any technical society, that that means is a very high rate of violent crime where no one is safe
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    The idea that babies will be much better off if "the tribe" raises them has been around for a long time. The translation for people who are not familiar with it is that guys who say this want somebody else to pay for the babies they father and don't want to have to contribute monetarily, emotionally, or physically to the rearing of their own or somebody else's kids. They want it to be optional, and they want somebody else to pick up the tab. But it's looked down on generally to speak out in favor of men abandoning their kids and baby mommies.
    Makes sense, though I was under the impression in that, while giving up mine, I'd be acquiring someone else's.

M.

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    Isn't more than one wife polygamy?
    I got the definition in my post a little backwards.

Polygamy- more than one spouse
    Polygeny- more than one wife
    Polyandry- more than one husband

I said polyandry, meant polygeny, sorry.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Nah, I like men. I'd love to have 5 or 6 husbands. Seriously.
    I'd start with 3 or 4 and add on if needed. 6 just seems like a lot to clean up after.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I read that the whole monogamy/polygamy scale tended to slide with the available resources and that it was the women who chose how it went. Sorry, guys. It was something along the lines of- the more resources that were available, the freer and easier the sexuality was. When things got tight, they tended to stick to one man, probably to have a more steady source of hunted food.

As far as one man claiming one woman and her offspring- that didn't happen until men realized that their seed made the offspring. Once they realized they "made" the baby, it evolved into ownership of the vessel through which sons were born (the woman) and any offspring she had. The militant protection of the vessel was in place so that you didn't accidentally pour your resources into a cuckoo's child.

Oh- and OP, I think you just discovered that you're potentially polyamorous, so check that out and let us poor monogamous-wired people have relationships our way.
    Last edited by drssgchic; 06-19-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Personally, when I hear men talk about "their" children, it always sounds like a woman's voice to me. I don't believe that we have this genetic demand to raise "our" children.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    that's really not very fair or true.
    The female counterpart of the male who sows wild oats and then never returns is a woman who does not put any concern into whether the male she is having sex with would help her raise any child that might be conceived. Given the opportunity to do as his nature guides him, he is an absentee or "bad father". And women without concern about the fate of their offspring are known as "bad mothers". Thankfully for our species both are a minority. But only the "bad fathers" speak out as though being a bad father is some sort of natural law or benefit to society.

My objection to nuclear-family memes is that they restrict me from participating in children's development. We talk about that on this forum a lot, how there are so many fuckin awful parents. The people raising kids collectively would neutralize this shittiness.
    There are plenty of outlets in society for people of either sex to do volunteer work to help disadvantaged, ie "other people's kids". Doing much of that?

But aren't women like, hardwired to be selfish monsters about their children? Are their studies about that?

Like is it literally in their brain "Fuck those hungry kids- mine are gettin the good parts of that kill!"
    If you really feel that women who make sure their kids have enough to eat are "selfish monsters", that certainly says something about the way you think on this issue.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    6 just seems like a lot to clean up after.
    #1. Hot guy with nice abs
    #2. Guy that loves cars and can fix mine
    #3. Garden/Yard type and can grow fruits and veggies
    #4. Hot guy with nice abs
    #5. I think someone hear posted he always has a clean tub, so him (iirc, he also boasted of nice abs?)
    #6. Guy that LOVES to grill.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    #6. Guy that LOVES to grill.
    I'm calling dibs on this spot, as my abs are not great.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast