Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo low carb - fat percentage page

Warren R is offline Junior Member

Paleo low carb - fat percentage

Shop Now
    Would a diet consisting of 60-65% of calories coming from fats be to high in fat content

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    not enough fat, you need a lot more. I would go for at least 85%, any less and you've failed.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Too high for what?

I'd never consume a diet that high in fats because it's virtually impossible to do that naturally without adding refined oils. Just eat real food. Meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, roots, tubers, whatever. Avoid grains and vegetable oils and you'll do fine.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren R View Post
    Would a diet consisting of 60-65% of calories coming from fats be to high in fat content
    So long as you hit your protein minimum, and so long as you enjoy getting 60-65% of your calories from fat, it is absolutely fine to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Too high for what?

I'd never consume a diet that high in fats because it's virtually impossible to do that naturally without adding refined oils. Just eat real food. Meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, roots, tubers, whatever. Avoid grains and vegetable oils and you'll do fine.
    I'm not entirely certain I'd agree it's impossible to hit those macros without adding oils (can easily done eating fattier cuts of meat, eggs, etc), but I do 100% agree with the rest - focus on whole, real food sources, not a macronutrient ratio.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    You'll find no consensus on this. Nutrient density precludes macronutrient ratios unless you are just really into ketosis. I am, and I do enjoy some very high-fat days, up into the 80% range. Feel-good? Oh, yes. Natural? Sort of, it's like fasting - but with food. :P

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Come on guys stop trolling... He's obviously interested in a high fat low carb diet, the one true path.

Grok on brother.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Just eat 30 bananas a day instead, I heard it keeps you lean.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Primal/paleo are not high-fat / low-carb. They are just toxin free diets. However one does not prevent the other.

60% of calories from fats, that's my macro since more than one year and doing pretty fine. Despite what people may think, I eat plenty of vegetables, too. I just choose the right ones. Just some days ago I realized I eat more veggies than a vegan (I do not consider rice, pasta, topinambur and tofu as vegetables).

Fats do not need to come from vegetable oils (although being Italian I will never say no to some good EVO onto my salad). Fat cuts (organ meats, I mostly eat that), oily fishes, yolks, coconut oil/milk as well as some butter, or ghee, and cream will provide you what you need in terms of calories, nutrients (essential fatty acids) and fat soluble vitamins.

That said, amount of carbs highly depends on your daily activities: if you keep moving all the day there is nothing wrong eating some sugars. I myself double the fruits on those days I am particularly active. Being onto my butt in front of a laptop the rest of the week, I am so insulin resistant that any sugar will just make me want for me. Not so with fats. That's the reason of my choice.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I'm currently getting around 70 - 75% from fat. It seems to suit me.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Hi mate seeing as this is your first post, I won't be an ass and troll ya (wink derpamix).

choco's advice is pretty solid, what he's saying is that any good fats that you should be eating is going to come with protein and carbs (eg a fatty steak or avocado etc). Then focusing on eating real and fresh foods is key.

My only extra advice would be to only go low carb for about a month or 2, only to rid yourself of the carb addiction.
    After a month or 2 start cycling good carbs back in to your diet, the important point is to cycle them in, eg a few days a week slowly increase your carb intake, the other days you can stay low carb. You can also do the same thing for calorie levels and fat/protein percentages.
    This prevents metabolic down regulation that is prevalent on these message boards from people trying to run low carbs or low calories indefinitely.

Finally welcome to MDA.Hope your primal journey is a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast