Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paleo low carb - fat percentage page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I probably eat 60% fat. Last time I checked it was round 60-70. If you tend to choose fatty meats (I do on purpose), get em with bone in for extra nutrients and flavor then its very easy to do and you don't need exogenous sources. But if you use butter, coconut oil, tallow, lard or whatever to add some flavor to your otherwise bland foods so what? Its fine. It CAN be done consistently and daily.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You didn't read my post.

I didn't say it's impossible to do on a per-meal basis. What I said is that you can't consistently do it daily. Eating actual food is not going to maintain a 65% calories from fat ratio. You have to go out of your way to exclude fruits, roots and starches and you have to add lots of refined fats, which you did. Over 20% of your fat calories are coming from butter, and another 20% from a seed butter. Neither of these things are real food and quite processed.
    What is normal eating for one person would be "going out of their way" to eat fruits, roots, and starches and avoid fats to another person. That is not an objective consideration.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Last I checked I hover around 60% and my dinner plates look pretty normal.

There is no obvious "fat" portion of the plate (like cheese or nuts) but the meat has fat, the vegetables were roasted or sauteed in oil, the starch is dressed in butter. Fat is lovely. Fat also adds up really fast because of the double whammy of higher energy density and hydrophobia (protein and carb foods are mostly water, fat is not).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Warren R is offline Junior Member
    What an awesome forum - thanks for the wealth of information!

Have many questions - while on my new lifestyle journey - one thing I am finding tough is to locate good consistent sources/places to buy meats locally - any tips - been calling around local farmers and butchers as a start!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What is normal eating for one person would be "going out of their way" to eat fruits, roots, and starches and avoid fats to another person. That is not an objective consideration.
    If you truly eat based on what your cravings are - and you have cravings for a reason - you almost certainly won't wind up eating 65% fat. You'll probably eat around 33/33/33 - roughly equal macronutrients. Yes, maybe there will be some variance - maybe you'll be 35/30/35, maybe 40/20/40, 20/40/40...whatever. But you won't be eating meat and vegetables only and drowning them in refined fat. That's learned behavior born out of fear. You have to learn how to "modify" your cravings. Cravings for cookies and candy may simply be cravings for glucose, so eat fruits and starches instead. Cravings for ice cream may be cravings for fat, so eat meats, eggs and cheeses. When you exclude a macro you increase your chances of developing cravings for junk foods. The way I've found to eliminate cravings altogether is to eat sufficient calories consisting of healthy fats, proteins, starches and fruits. When you give your body all the building blocks it needs and not force it to convert one macro to another out of desperation, it's happiest.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If you truly eat based on what your cravings are - and you have cravings for a reason - you almost certainly won't wind up eating 65% fat. You'll probably eat around 33/33/33 - roughly equal macronutrients. Yes, maybe there will be some variance - maybe you'll be 35/30/35, maybe 40/20/40, 20/40/40...whatever. But you won't be eating meat and vegetables only and drowning them in refined fat. That's learned behavior born out of fear. You have to learn how to "modify" your cravings. Cravings for cookies and candy may simply be cravings for glucose, so eat fruits and starches instead. Cravings for ice cream may be cravings for fat, so eat meats, eggs and cheeses. When you exclude a macro you increase your chances of developing cravings for junk foods. The way I've found to eliminate cravings altogether is to eat sufficient calories consisting of healthy fats, proteins, starches and fruits. When you give your body all the building blocks it needs and not force it to convert one macro to another out of desperation, it's happiest.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    BS. I have no cravings for sweet things. Only fatty/salty things.

Quit assuming that you know best for everyone. You don't.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Truly written as one who has no clue how other people live and what foods they crave.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I'm quite familiar how people on MDA generally live. In fear. There are very few people on this forum that are grounded and just go with the flow. Virtually every thread you'll find on the main page is someone terrified of something they shouldn't be afraid of.

My message is "just eat real food, don't worry about fat and carbs" and the zealots come out in full force!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast