Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo low carb - fat percentage page 2

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Varies a lot for me. Yesterday evening, it was probably around 40%. I ate a lot of potatoes and also had shirataki noodles for the konjac root fibers (I cooked them in a home-made bone broth that simmered for like 72 hours). I also had duck meat that was on the fatty side of things. I did not add any other fat to my food, it all came from the duck meat. I had tons of strawberries and blueberries for dessert and 10g of dark choc.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Eat whatever your body wants. Don't eat foods that poison you. Don't eat anything invented in the past 300 years.
    You have to find your own macros. I sit at around 45-65% of kcals from fat, because that's what my body wants naturally. Lately my carbs keep hovering at/breaking 200g/day, because I'm on my feet literally all day and need the fuel. Restricting your body should be the last option. For now, you have to assess what your body wants and whether it wants what it needs. Once you know how in-tune your body is you can consider different dietary patterns and macros.

@ChocoTaco and AngryKiwi:
    Actually it's very possible.
    Most of my fat comes from butter, fatty meat, offal and fish. I'll eat a tablespoon or three of nuts and seeds daily and 25-50g of butter daily.
    Example...
    Breakfast: 300g potato, 1 tin of mackerel in brine, 50g butter.
    Lunch: 6 rashers of bacon, 200g ox tongue, 200g cabbage and 1 small onion.
    Dinner: 6 hard-boiled eggs.
    Snacks: 3 flat tablespoons of tahini.
    Result.
    Total: 2787kcal.
    -183g fat, 1647kcal, 60%.
    -190g protein, 760kcal, 27%.
    -95g carbs, 380kcal, 13%.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    But what if you were to remove the extra butter and tahini ? Could you break it down and see how much fat that would amount to ?

In my case, the only extra fat I got was the 10g dark chocolate. The fat in my meal came for fatty duck (French style rillettes and a little of the fat rendered from a "magret", i.e. duck fillet of a fattened duck - I used some in my potatoes).

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    it's virtually impossible to do that naturally without adding refined oils. .
    Most of my fat comes from butter, fatty meat, offal and fish. I'll eat a tablespoon or three of nuts and seeds daily and 25-50g of butter daily.
    Example...
    Result.
    Noted.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'd never consume a diet that high in fats because it's virtually impossible to do that naturally.
    This is like the only time I've agreed with this guy in forever hehe.

If you look at the data available on hunter-gatherer societies the macros tend to land around 45-55% fat for the carnivorous tribes. The reason is they are eating much higher *protein* than most people today, even after getting all the fat possible from the carcass (which tended to be learner).

Not that it is unhealthy to eat cream and fat-meat and hit a 80% fat macro. Just saying there's isn't a lot of data showing many tribes were able to hit that.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Not that it is unhealthy to eat cream and fat-meat and hit a 80% fat macro.
    If you have to be VLC / ketogenic for a reason (some kind of brain disorder, etc), that is the ONLY way to cover your daily needs. It is also a good fat loss tool when you restrict carbs close to 0 with that goal in mind.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    @James and AngryKiwi:

Brine is salt-water (0 fat), the tahini is ground seeds (100% natural and not hard to collect 3 tablespoons of random seeds, either, it's about 25-30g) and butter is just butter. No refined oil, nothing unnatural or anything heavily processed, just seeds and a replacement for the animal fat that I don't have much access to. If I had access to quality beef-fat more often, I'd eat over 100g of that a day instead of butter. Just swap them around.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I easily eat 80% of my calories from fat everyday. So does Peter over at Hyperlipid and Anna at LifeExtension blog.

Protein is 15% and carbs are 5%.

Fatty meat, pâté, salmon, cheese, butter on my veggies, eggs, chocolate butter (basically dark chocolate mixed with butter), cream in my tea...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It agrees with me to eat a lot of fat in the winter. Some of you live places where winter is never cold, as it is up here. A high fat diet in the winter totally revs up my metabolism in a way I don't need during the warm months. It is not necessary to consume oils or fats by the spoonful to make that work.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Example...
    Result.
    You didn't read my post.

I didn't say it's impossible to do on a per-meal basis. What I said is that you can't consistently do it daily. Eating actual food is not going to maintain a 65% calories from fat ratio. You have to go out of your way to exclude fruits, roots and starches and you have to add lots of refined fats, which you did. Over 20% of your fat calories are coming from butter, and another 20% from a seed butter. Neither of these things are real food and quite processed.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast