Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating 5,000 calories a day? page 2

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Peter Attia works out like crazy, don't forget that though ...
    I know, but he worked out like crazy before too, when he was a fat carbo-guy and "only" ate 3500. Now he eats 5000 from fat and is thin.

He's got it all documented online. This phenomenon is 100% real and shouldn't even be questioned anymore.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I know, but he worked out like crazy before too, when he was a fat carbo-guy and "only" ate 3500. Now he eats 5000 from fat and is thin.

He's got it all documented online. This phenomenon is 100% real and shouldn't even be questioned anymore.
    He had a very interesting blog post about the variance among people regarding the level of toxicity of ingested stuff. He has a very low tolerance of sugar, unlike his wife ...

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Phelps also swims the entire day though. During the off season he got chubbier.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

sting is offline Senior Member
    Maybe Dr. Eades sums up the reason why he was able to consume 5000 calories without gaining much weight?

Snip from article recommend reading whole article
    The phenomenon is pretty vividly demonstrated in people with type I diabetes, the type of diabetes in which no (or very little) insulin is produced. Most of the time these people get their diagnosis of diabetes when they come to the doctor because they are losing weight like crazy while eating everything in sight. It’s not all that unusual for a person with new onset type I diabetes (who isn’t aware of having the disorder) to lose 40 pounds in a month. These people have no insulin and a lot of glucagon. Without the insulin they can’t store fat, so they dump fat from their fat cells. Much of this fat is converted to ketones since there is no insulin to shut off the process. The glucagon makes them convert muscle protein to sugar even though their blood sugar levels are already sky high. The end result is that these people have elevated levels of sugar in their blood and elevated levels of ketones. They dump both sugar and ketones in their urine, but not enough to account for the amount of weight they lose. The combination of calories lost to ketones and urine can add up to a few pounds per month, but not 40. Other factors are at work. The body has the ability to waste calories, but doesn’t usually do so unless it has to. In the case of type I diabetes it has to. And people with uncontrolled type I diabetes eat and eat and eat and lose and lose and lose.

The same phenomenon holds true in low-carb dieting. Insulin is low and glucagon is high, making it difficult to gain weight. That’s not to say it can’t be done, but it is difficult. Which means that once you lose your weight and get to maintenance, if you keeps your carbs (and thus your insulin) low you can pretty much go back to snacking on cheese, nuts and other high-fat, high-caloric density foods without the fear of gaining. You won’t lose, but you don’t want to lose on maintenance. You simply want to maintain.
    If you crank up your intake of fat calories and at the same time increase your carb intake you are going to gain like crazy. Why? Because you will increase your insulin levels and drive this fat into the fat cells. And it will happen quickly.
    Last edited by sting; 06-20-2013 at 06:27 AM.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Phelps also swims the entire day though. During the off season he got chubbier.
    Screen-shot-2012-08-05-at-11.05.26-AM.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12