Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Obesity is now a Disease page 4

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As a former obese- and still overweight- individual I don't consider obesity a disease. I consider it a result of a bad habit. Are there legitimate cases of obesity that are the result of a disease such as severe hypothyroidism, Addisons, or even a side effect of a drug such as some steroids? Yes. But in most instances it is simply the case of people eating more calories than they burn. And I think the medical community does them a disservice by labeling it a disease because now they have an excuse and now they can be protected under the law for things like missing work because they have a disease.

One major reason I would point to that says it's not a disease? The only cure is a change in behavior. All the pills, all the surgery in the world won't cure you. Only a behavioral change will.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

bellincendio is offline Member
    I agree that the medical community is doing a disservice by using the term disease. Not because help isn't needed, but because of the psychology that having a disease often gives people. Utilizing "I have a disease" as a reason to not change. If this label actualy increases assistance and willingness to change behavior I'm all for it. I don't see it helping do much in the medical community except create more pills and allow for more surgery.
    I'm not skinny at all and don't appreciate having people minimize the challenge a change is for someone who has been over their ideal weight. But I see the point in what I saw as the meaning behind the post. My interpretation was that calling it a disease isn't going to help change the behavior pattern.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    One major reason I would point to that says it's not a disease? The only cure is a change in behavior. All the pills, all the surgery in the world won't cure you. Only a behavioral change will.
    I actually love this!

All the drugs and surgery in the world doesn't cure 90% of what we label "disease" though. And for those the cure is behavioral change as well. So maybe the entire system should be on trial? I think so.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I actually love this!

All the drugs and surgery in the world doesn't cure 90% of what we label "disease" though. And for those the cure is behavioral change as well. So maybe the entire system should be on trial? I think so.
    I think the entire system definitely should be. It's all about treating the symptom, not the cause.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I see why. Now medical insurance has to cover it because it's a disease. Now rates will rise accordingly. Great to be an American. This just gives more ability to claim "fat shaming", "it's not my fault I have a disease", and "thin privilege".

Siiiigh.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

jammies is offline Senior Member
    But what happens here when people go to the doctor to treat their disease? They will be told to eat less and exercise more. And probably to eat a low fat, healthy whole grain diet. That's not going to help most people.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    You previously stated that obese people were failing in self control. Your contempt for them was just shown again here. It comes through in every post I have ever seen you write.

Please show me the newborn who chose obesity. Yes some will develop obesity for reasons we can already identify in their genes and gene activation environment, and some who live very similar lifestyles will not. And then, in addition to managing their disease, they will manage the contempt they get from people like you.

ETA: Oh, and do you know what the success rate for the management of obesity is? It is minuscule. So what you are saying is that if someone with obesity is not even a hero of the level of heroism that you cannot even imagine (I've done it and Im doing it again, I know whereof I speak) you have the privilege of looking down on them. That self-satisfied arrogant position of luck is what *I* have total contempt for.
    Please don't make me an outlet for your pent up anger and frustration. You don't know me or what my thoughts are so Iwould rather you stopped quoting me in future posts.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    But what happens here when people go to the doctor to treat their disease? They will be told to eat less and exercise more. And probably to eat a low fat, healthy whole grain diet. That's not going to help most people.
    "Treatments" will happen. Prescription drugs and surgery. That it is officially a "disease" opens many avenues for prescription drug development. It's all about logistics and money here in the US of A.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234