Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obesity is now a Disease page 2

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I would agree that obesity is a disease -- actually a chronic condition type of disease. Before I became afflicted with obesity, I could eat any thing I wanted and my weight stayed around 125. This lasted until age 28 when I had my first child. I think over the years, the abuse my body received from bad and unnecessary carbs caused it to malfunction and stop handling food the way it was designed to. I see my skinny friends eating sandwiches and french fries and I get jealous because my body has stopped processing starches and sugars efficiently. It has decided to store them instead in cells. And the fat cells are not like butter which you can melt, the fat cells are living cells that interact with the rest of your body. The only way it seems to control the fat cells is by starving them of the bad carbs, sugars, and starches. I am having some success with Primal, but I think I will always be afflicted with obesity even when I do lose the weight. If I go back to eating the grains, starches, and sugars, they will be processed into fat cells, not metabolized, and that's what I think obesity means.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    It is a curable disease but who wants to start exercising and eating correctly? We are all programmed to carry some fat just some of us choose not to.
    Lots of people would do it. There are loads of people out there wasting their time and money desperately doing chronic cardio and endless diets that don't work. If those people had a reliable source of information, they would try it and for many of them it would work. If it was even only half as effective at it would appear from testimonials on this site, that would be an example that a lot of people would notice, follow, and even do research on. This would move up from a weird fringe diet that one crazy guy they know tried and claims works to something with the exposure of a mainstream diet.

The idea that everybody out there should be able to figure out all this stuff for themselves is not going to happen.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Yes of course, am I the one crazy guy they know?! lol
    Education is the key but it seems the more answers we get the more questions are posed as evidenced by most of the threads on here. Primal blueprint is probably about the most accessible health book out there but people are jaded from being consistently lied to. As the paleo/primal movement hopefully gathers momentum we may see a sea change in people's relationship with food but the underlying problem is now and forever will be human weakness and lack of will power. It's not easy saying no to quick fix food when we have spent a lifetime being deliberately addicted and we all have so many fond associations. An English cream tea and bacon sandwich come to mind for me as well as boyhood trips to the sweet shop and scarfing down angel delight and cornettos. (All this is probably lost on most of you but you get where I'm coming from).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Of course there are many people who are lazy and addicted to the idea of always having food ready to cram in their mouths to avoid experiencing hunger.

Those people are not our demographic. We can't convert them and shouldn't waste thought energy on them.

The people who will be easiest to start peeling away are the crazy dieters who will try anything. These people will buy any book that looks like a diet book. These are the sort of people who first tried the Atkins diet when CW wisdom said it would kill them.

The fact that this is promoted as a healthy way of life with a philosophical/biological basis prevents it from being considered by this group. Most people come here looking to reverse their diseases and happen to lose the excess weight they were carrying.

Most people do go back to their old WOE after they have lost their weight. But not all. I think it will snowball.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    Yes, I would agree that obesity is a disease -- actually a chronic condition type of disease. Before I became afflicted with obesity, I could eat any thing I wanted and my weight stayed around 125. This lasted until age 28 when I had my first child. I think over the years, the abuse my body received from bad and unnecessary carbs caused it to malfunction and stop handling food the way it was designed to. I see my skinny friends eating sandwiches and french fries and I get jealous because my body has stopped processing starches and sugars efficiently. It has decided to store them instead in cells. And the fat cells are not like butter which you can melt, the fat cells are living cells that interact with the rest of your body. The only way it seems to control the fat cells is by starving them of the bad carbs, sugars, and starches. I am having some success with Primal, but I think I will always be afflicted with obesity even when I do lose the weight. If I go back to eating the grains, starches, and sugars, they will be processed into fat cells, not metabolized, and that's what I think obesity means.
    You aren't alone in being glucose-intolerant! I have recently embraced the idea that actually my cells are being normal (for my particular genes) in an abnormal (high sugar/starch) environment. So I just enjoy my fatty meals and how good I feel.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    There are two people in my office that are considerably heavy. One's on my team, and has a tendency to destroy the office chairs he's issued - just had to replace one the other day - because thon breaks the wheels. Considering buying the one on my team a copy of the Primal Blueprint and just leaving it on their desk, but the last thing I want to do is alienate a teammate. The one on my team is probably in the 400 pound range, if I had to guess.

M.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    There are two people in my office that are considerably heavy. One's on my team, and has a tendency to destroy the office chairs he's issued - just had to replace one the other day - because thon breaks the wheels. Considering buying the one on my team a copy of the Primal Blueprint and just leaving it on their desk, but the last thing I want to do is alienate a teammate. The one on my team is probably in the 400 pound range, if I had to guess.

M.
    I ordered a copy of Everyday Paleo, and sent it to a friend anonymously. Maybe they will use it, maybe not. At least it's worth a try to help out a friend.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I'm a bit confused. So are you saying that anything an individual causes themselves shouldn't be considered a disease? Or are you saying that because it is a normal physiologic state that it is not a disease?

It's because it's a normal physiologic state, that I am baffled at it being a disease. Your body is meant to store fat; you will store even more if you're going through a drive-thru and eating 500 calories in fries. People with those extra genes that makes them 'predisposed' to obesity, well, their bodies work even better than mine! They are extra efficient at fat-storing, good for them. Now that the food/environment changes, it's suddenly a disease?

My problem is this country's (well, Western/European culture in general) incessant habit of treating the symptom and not the cause. This article states that it will encourage physicians to address obesity as a problem, but some of the examples of "solutions" are surgeries and pills. Ugh. So get surgery, that the rest of us and our employers subsidize by paying insurance premiums, and go back to the same lifestyle that made you obese in the first place.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, but recognizing it as a disease isn't going to help. How about some change in lifestyle? Let kids out for recess? Give insurance breaks and incentives for those with healthy weight, or those who bike the work? I don't have the solution, but recognizing it as a "disease" just comes across as a step backwards, not forwards (IMHO).
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Great story, well done for making the leap! must have taken some courage to defy your doc and CW.

Slacker62 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm torn about this actually. On one hand I was morbidly obese at one point and abhor the kind of fat-shaming I've read on this forum since I joined last month. But on the other hand, as soon as we label something a 'disease' it tends to give people something to blame other than themselves. Despite the fact that I have valid medical reasons for being overweight, I wouldn't want to think of myself as being a victim of some disease. That would make it too easy for me to accept it, rather than do something about it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast