Thread: Loads of Primal treats= more toned, less bloating for me page

SophieE is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb Loads of Primal treats= more toned, less bloating for me

Primal Fuel
    Like pretty much everyone else I started off primal going heavy on the paleo treats then tapered off as per recommendations. That's when the bloating started though and the cravings and some weight gain, which was ridiculously annoying. Yes, I was definitely eating way too much but I felt that I couldn't help it even though I wasn't physically hungry or anything.

Recently I threw caution to the wind and decided to eat nut butters, maple syrup, raw honey, chia puddings, xylitol, paleo hot chocolates, avocados blended with dates and vanilla, raw vegan bars, raw vegan cakes and chocolates etc etc whenever I want. I probably have these things around 2-3 times a day and sometimes they constitute an entire meal. I find that I don't want enormous amounts of them when I do eat them now though- I'll eat 2 teaspoons of raw honey then whew, I'm done and don't want anything sweet. The only thing I don't eat much of is fruit, which makes me feel lethargic. Most of the treats are simple preparations or store-bought (most of the raw vegan stuff) vs before when a rare treat necessitated long-preperation and predominantly SAD-food appearance (e.g. paleo banana bread, paleo cookies, paleo brownies).

I feel better, my stomach looks flatter and I don't have cravings for ridiculous amounts of fat that was pushing me way above normal calorie counts and was making me seriously sick even though I have a lovely functional gallbladder. I don't know if a keto-diet for epilepsy would involve that much oil in one single sitting. I feel like my appetite is way more in check and when I'm not hungry I rarely want to eat.

Don't completely know why it works (I'm not much higher carb than before. Still about 100-150g) but thought I'd put it out there for anyone who is obsessing about cutting down nuts and preparing unsweet and unsatisfying treats that they overeat but are never satisfied with. Yeah, I know nuts throw off omega-3:6 but I currently don't feel worse for the wear and am leaning a little toward macadamias and cashews which have more monounsaturated fat.

Has anyone experienced the same? Theories about why it worked this way?

ombat is offline Senior Member
    As part of your "healthy" paleo diet were you consuming a lot of vegetables and meat? These can be problematic for many in terms of digestion, so it would stand to reason that bloating would go down as you ate less of those foods.

In terms of cravings, I had monster cravings and seemingly needless, endless hunger low carb. Maple syrup, fruit, ice cream, etc. are now a regular (and planned) part of my diet. Guess what? No more cravings.

If you feel good physically and emotionally, keep it up.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Good to hear someone else with the same experience. How long have you been regularly including the "treat" foods for now? Just wondering if it keeps you feeling good long-term. How do you treat nuts?

I was definitely eating more meat on my "healthy" paleo diet but not more veggies. Veggies were about the same as now, which is not at mark-sissonesque high levels but i'll probably get through something like half a head of steamed broccoli, half a cup of cooked cabbage, a cup of butternut and some onions, garlic etc on an average day.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's interesting, because veggies do a lot of people in. There also could be the psychological factor. Or it could be the meat. You really just have to experiment with what your body likes and it looks like you have!

I've been eating a high carb / sugar diet for about 2 months now. My metabolism seems to be functioning much better - my temperature is up (warm hands and feet for the first time since I can remember), skin is usually clearer, no cravings, not ravenous all the time. I'm also not the only one who's experienced these results.

I don't eat nuts for two reasons: 1) High PUFA content (excess PUFAs hinder thyroid function, inhibit digestive enzymes (I already have digestive problems) and cause inflammation) and 2) They just don't sit well with me. Bloating, discomfort, etc.