Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diets high in fat linked to Alzheimer's? page

kyle2006 is offline Member

Diets high in fat linked to Alzheimer's?

Shop Now
    How a High Fat Diet Increases Alzheimer's Risk

Saw this article on Yahoo. Yes, it's Yahoo, but I thought I'd see what people thought on here. Still confused how in this day and age, there are so many different ideas about what to eat/what not to eat. It's pretty frustrating.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i had a relative who developed alzheimers. she'd had a heart attack in the 70s so changed her diet to low fat, and the fats she did use were veg oil and such

this is just me, but i don't think it's from 'high fat'
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    With all these "diets high in fat" studies you have to understand that it is the fats in the following foods that are the cause of the problems seen:

- processed meat (pepperoni, hot dogs, ham, bacon, anything Oscar-Meyer)
    - junk food (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, corn, soy, canola, cottonseed, fried in peanut oil, the fats in cookies, pies, etc.)

They never do studies comparing people who eat diets high in natural fats vs. those who eat the fats in junk foods. The closest they come is when they study the Mediterranean diet (olive oil, natural meats and seafoods) or accidentally give control subjects olive oil rather than whatever other oil or fat they're giving the test subjects and then have a hard time explaining why the control subjects did so much better than expected.

The classic confounding factor of all these studies is that everybody "knows" fat is bad for you so the people who don't avoid fat generally don't eat healthy foods of any kind, eat a lot of junk food, and they also smoke and don't get very much exercise. Conversely, those who believe fat is bad generally eat fruits and vegetables, don't smoke and get some exercise.

In that article you linked above, there is a WHOPPER of a confounding variable in there:
    Diets high in saturated fat and sugar may increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease, and a new study may explain why.

In the study, participants who ate a diet high in saturated fat (including lots of beef and bacon) and "high glycemic index" foods (such as white rice and white bread) had an increase in levels of a protein called amyloid-beta in their cerebral spinal fluid. Amyloid-beta is a key component of the brain plaques that are a hallmark of Alzheimer's. High glycemic index foods release sugar quickly into the bloodstream.

In contrast, participants who ate a diet low in saturated fat (including fish and chicken) and low in high glycemic index foods (such as whole grains) had a decrease in amyloid-beta in their cerebral spinal fluid.
    They mix up fat and sugar. It almost appears to me it's more about the sugar than the fat, too, since they didn't say that people who ate lots of fat but no sugar had these problems. And note they did the "beef and bacon" confusion. That's processed meat. If they're eating beef, bacon and white bread they're probably eating french fries and a shake with that bacon cheeseburger.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    It's actually high in fat AND sugar. You have to have the sugar part.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    It's actually high in fat AND sugar. You have to have the sugar part.
    Exactly!

In this particular study, they had what they called a "high saturated fat" diet that was also high glycemic.

Then they lowered the fat and, by their own admission, also lowered the sugars.

Then they claimed the fat was obviously the problem.

Really, really stupid science.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    lol... there maybe something gleaned from this study, but it certainly isn't anything involving high fat.

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    My great grandmother had Alzheimer's, and her diet consisted of meat/veg/bread, candy, and tons of alcohol. Not a high fat at all.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Really, really stupid science.
    But I thought "science doesn't lie"?

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I'm convinced my parents' more recent diet of lower natural fat and silly lower-the-cholesterol spreads is what precipitated my father's alzheimer's. Once my mother took over the shopping there was a lot more processed foods and wheat products and less cheese and belly pork.

If you consider the current thinking implicating reduced glucose metabolism in the brain (type 3 diabetes and insulin resistance of the brain) in Alzheimer's, then it's more likely to be high sugar and wheat products that have caused this. Currently my father is responding well to increased supplementation with coconut oil and around 30% carb intake mostly from potatoes and fruit.

Personally I have a high interest in avoiding Alzheimer's and I'm placing my bets on the side of sugar/wheat causing Alzheimer's and good fats being healthy for the brain (which contains a lot of fats and uses a lot in maintenance and repair) and sticking with around 75% of my intake from healthy fats - CO and meat/eggs/fish.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    But I thought "science doesn't lie"?
    It doesn't. But writers and phony scientists with an agenda and a sponsor do.

I learned better science skills in the 3rd grade.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast