Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Calling All Crossfit Advice page 9

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Then try to find a box with strongman classes. My old box had one - stone to shoulder, keg carries, keg presses, axle rods, yoke carries, tire flips - it was friggin' awesome.
    I would join cross-fit if they had that. I would LOVE to be able to do that strongman stuff. I was even thinking of buying a tire and just doing flips and drags in my driveway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I started crossfit in September and overall it's been a huge positive. That being said I'm not sure I'll renew my contract when it runs out. The cheapest I could get membership was $190 a month (with a 12 month contract). There's another crossfit box in my city that's recently moved closer to me and its quite a bit cheaper, but I've heard classes are really packed.

Anyway... I love all the lifts I've learned from it. I mostly used machines rather than free weights in the past. I like that it forces me to go when I don't feel like it!! We have to book in and get told off if we don't turn up . I also like how it forces me to do stuff I don't always like as well and keep going beyond the point I'd rather stop!

Still... I would rather do more weights I think, and I don't like how I hardly ever get to do my favourite lifts! I think my strength would improve faster with a more structured program as well. And I really don't like the price! So I am definitely considering a change... I know the form and lifts now so all I need is a gym with enough free weights!

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    not even an option for me to checkout .. nearest box is like 1.5 hrs away
    04/23/2012 Max Weight : 448 lbs
    01/01/2014 Initial Weight : 428 lbs
    09/30/2014 Current weight : 328 lbs
    12/31/2015 Goal weight : 228 lbs

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I'm chiming in late here, but I figured I'd toss in my two cents anyway.

There is a lot of great advice on this thread, and I agree with most of it. I think the most important thing to think about is what somebody else brought up: that you're on a keto diet. Keto diets and Crossfit don't mix well at all. Crossfit is too metcon-based and you're going to be the walking dead within a few weeks if you don't up your carbs. From what I gather, Paleobird, upping your carbs isn't really an option? You'd know better than me what you're capable of while on a keto diet, but it's definitely a huge consideration when doing something like Crossfit.

Everyone else is right when they say Crossfit isn't a strength program. You will certainly get stronger at first--a LOT stronger--but eventually you'll hit a point where you'll plateau, and at that point, in my opinion, it's better to start down a more traditional strength-training path. The demands of the metcons are not going to allow you to put on a lot of strength past a certain point, nor recover enough, and quickly enough, to sustain a schedule that includes heavy lifting.

There are basically two kinds of Crossfitters: Those that just like the WODs and the social environment, drop in a couple times a week, get their workout and get out; and those for whom Crossfit is basically an introduction to the wider world of lifting and competition, and "outgrow" Crossfit after a little while, decide to get serious about it as a hobby, and move on to either advanced Crossfit classes or lifting classes.

I've said this before: Crossfit is only as good as the box where you train. I've had bad experiences and great experiences. I'm extremely lucky in that the box where I train is one of the oldest in the country, with an extremely high standard for coaches; they're all athletes themselves who have a list of certifications and resumes a mile long, with their very last cert being "Crossfit Level 1 or 2". If you're shopping for a Crossfit box, and the coaches mostly just have Level 1 as their only cert, find a different box. At the end of the day, the only reason it's worth it to pay that much money for Crossfit is to get expert, specialized coaching from people who know what the hell they're talking about. I wouldn't pay $200 a month for any schmo who had a free weekend to take the Level 1 cert to lead me through a WOD. That'd be idiotic. However, my coaches? I almost feel like I should be paying more, because the amount of one-on-one coaching and the depth of their knowledge is unbelievably valuable to me, and I'm happy to plunk down my money each month. The aim is to find a box where the continuity and quality level of coaching mimics personal training.

The workouts themselves are infinitely scaleable. There should be no worry that it'll be too hard for you. You always scale it to your level. If you're puking after a WOD, you're doing it wrong. If your box encourages an atmosphere of admiration for puking and rhabdo--I've never experienced this at any box I've been to, but apparently it exists--find another box.

In my experience, there's almost no oversight from Crossfit HQ, and each box is different. I think the best ones are those run by people who are athletes/trainers from a variety of disciplines, who realized they could make more money under the Crossfit brand (and there's nothing wrong with that; it's hard to make money with a small business and they should use every available opportunity to do so!), and program mostly lifting with some metcons thrown in.

This is a rundown of where I've been and where I'm going with Crossfit:
    1. Started doing the WODs from the main site sporadically with guys at the firehouse I was working at about three years ago. I did bodyweight Crossfit workouts on my own at home, while throwing in some P90x, Bodyrock, other stuff.
    2. When I moved to Texas, I missed the team atmosphere of working in EMS, and I knew I might want to join a Crossfit box, but wasn't ready to commit. I did Starting Strength for several months and worked occasionally with a trainer in the local "black iron" gym, learning the lifts and building strength. Then I started shopping for a box. I did this by taking advantage of free weekend workouts at various boxes, and during the week, I'd pick a box and do their daily WODs (most, if not all, boxes will post their programming right on their website for free) at the gym on my own. After doing this for a couple months, it quickly became clear which Crossfit affiliate I should go with, and I signed up.
    3. In my first three months, I made incredibly fast strength and conditioning gains, essentially doubling all my lifts and gaining gymnastic skills I never thought I'd have. I started at 3x/wk and by month 3 I had signed on to an additional 2x/wk advanced lifting class.
    4. I did 5x/wk for another 5 months, then--obviously--started to plateau and burn out. My coaches had been telling me for months to take it a little easier, but I'm one of those people who, when they find something they really love, WAY overdo it. "If some is good, more must be better!" When I started coming up blackout dizzy on every lift and went backwards in my max deadlift, my Crossfit coach told me unequivocally to cut back to 3 or 4 days a week, and include a deload day each week.
    5. Doing 4x/wk with a deload day (basically I go 50% on each lift and focus on form that day) for the past two months has worked great, and more rest, combined with carb backloading before heavy lifting days, has sent me back to my "skyrocketing strength and conditioning" mode, as it was in the early days. I'm back to PRing on every test day, and my conditioning, especially, has been going through the roof.

Right now I'm at a point where I really, really want to get a lot stronger. I've been at a "relatively strong" state for several months--obviously a lot stronger than my non-CF friends, and even nearer the top end of women at my box, but I think my potential is a lot higher. So, I'm pulling back on metcons and focusing more on lifting. I shifted my schedule around to do more lifting classes, less Crossfit (the lifting classes are CF-affiliated--it's all the same group--but it's mostly power and oly lifting with strongman stuff like logs, kegs, stones, etc.). I'm taking more rest, getting more serious about load and deload days, and carb backloading like a motherf*cker. I'm seeing my strength absolutely skyrocket as a result right now. I still enjoy my traditional Crossfit classes, but there definitely reached a point where I "outgrew" the WODs, and needed to start getting more technical with my training.

None of this would have happened without the excellent coaching I receive. Also, the social/team element is huge for me. Some people don't need that. I'm unbelievably motivated by people cheering me on, telling me to keep pushing. And I HATE missing a workout, because it's like missing a social visit; whereas, when I work out on my own, if I miss a workout, I just shrug and move on. Being part of the Crossfit community and having those friendships has been AMAZING. I really think that's what separates Crossfit from just going to the gym on your own; and if you're someone who doesn't thrive in that team atmosphere, or couldn't care less about socializing and social encouragement, then you'd almost certainly be better off just paying for personal training at a strongman gym.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789