Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Crossfit Advice page 8

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    PB my main concern for you would be attempting xfit on a keto diet. Once or twice a week may be manageable, but more frequently could get you in trouble. Obviously, I'm sure you're planning on advising any trainer/coach you decide to train with about your medical history and required dietary plan. How they respond could also be a good indicator of the quality of their knowledge and ability.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would say the same, Misabi. It uses a lot of glycogen, that work out.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    I find Crossfit is best used for conditioning work in place of hill-sprints, prowlers, etc.

EDIT: the reason for this is that CF is more convenient for me and I enjoy it, both the workouts and the social aspect. To be clear, I don't think there is anything wrong with sprints/prowlers, etc.

I do Wendler 5/3/1 2 or 3 times a week and CF 2 or 3 times a week.

I only go to CF sessions that fit in with 5/3/1 i.e. I won't do a WOD targeting shoulders the day before I am due to do presses on Wendler.

Being stronger will make you better at doing CF.
    CF may not make you stronger, but it (or any other GPP method) will make you fitter.
    Being stronger and fitter is better than being one or the other.

P.S. I pay per session (10). It isn't cheap, but it isn't scandalous considering the coaching you get, along with the social aspect. This value is of course dependent on having a decent coach and liking the people at your box...
    Last edited by maclrc; 06-20-2013 at 05:08 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Spend ten min doing 6-7 one rep maxes of an Olympic lift, likely to the point that you drop the weight due to not being able to do it. Today that was dropping 185lbs from a height of 4 feet (missed the transition) in front of everyone at my gym. It was loud....then run a 5min mile paced 400m, and WHILE you are panting like a dog, do the KBs and pull-ups...THEN do it 2 more times. By round 3, you are doing to be in very severe pain. Look for a man walking around in all black with a sickle in his hand, bc you may think you are dying. That's normal.

Solution: Don't do Crossfit. It's very nasty, intense stuff that can and will get you hurt. I always feel like no one should "sorta do" CF, just as they shouldn't halfway do a Smolov squat progression or Ironman training. It is all hard, so you will really need to the whole eye of the tiger on your side to do it. On the other hand, it can make you a pretty rare breed of badass too
    Not sure I really want or need to be that rare breed of badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    PB my main concern for you would be attempting xfit on a keto diet. Once or twice a week may be manageable, but more frequently could get you in trouble. Obviously, I'm sure you're planning on advising any trainer/coach you decide to train with about your medical history and required dietary plan. How they respond could also be a good indicator of the quality of their knowledge and ability.
    I think twice a week would be plenty for me.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    You need one more opinion on here like you need a hole in the head

I did xfit for about 1.5 years and quit about 3-4 months ago. I'm just about to rejoin (I think...).

Why I left.

My coach was planning "exercise". This was fine. I went 4-5 days a week, stayed reasonably fit and in shape. My shoulders looked nice in my wedding dress. But after 1.5 years I was frustrated that I was no longer improving in my lifts. This was due to programming not having clear long term goals because it was planned a week at a time.

What this means for you:

If "exercise" is what you are looking for crossfit is a great way to get it - no matter what box you join. It will cost a lot. If you have disposable income try it out. You may find a great community that adds value to your life. Many people do. Their cultish reputation is true. But within that cult you have lots of happy people

If you want linear progression or whatever you want to call it - talk to the person doing the programming. Do they have long term goals? Are they tracking data to see if they are meeting goals? Are members aware of the goals (12 week cycles/8 week cycles, etc)? This is not guaranteed at each box.

Do you know how to snatch and clean & jerk? These are difficult lifts that need to be taught. They are useful at developing nearly every level of "fitness". Once you learn these movements you can continue to work on them without a crossfit membership fee if you wanted. Learning these movements would also allow you to follow any of the thousands of crossfit WODs posted on line every day.

Nearly all boxes offer drop-in packages - someone else recommended this option and I agree that it may be a good way to test the waters for a little less money.

Let us know what you do - I'm curious to hear your thoughts!

bellincendio is offline Member
    I'm also curious what box you choose. There are a LOT of them here in SD. Before I went to Africa I had thought about joining but couldn't decide which one and now that I'm back there are even more of them!

Paleobird Guest
    There are three just within walking distance here in downtown.

Some conclusions I've reached:

Not doing it unless it is on a per visit "punch card" plan because 2x/wk is plenty but, at those prices, you would need to go 5x/wk to make it worthwhile. That sounds like overtraining to me.

Some people have expressed concern about not enough focus on instruction in how to do the lifts. Well I kinda already know that stuff having been into bodybuilding a looooooong time ago. So that is not a concern. The thing is, I am not really interested in "Oly" lifting at this point in my life. I really want more Aussie pull-ups and rolling big tires around and such.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I really want more Aussie pull-ups and rolling big tires around and such.
    Then try to find a box with strongman classes. My old box had one - stone to shoulder, keg carries, keg presses, axle rods, yoke carries, tire flips - it was friggin' awesome.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Some people have expressed concern about not enough focus on instruction in how to do the lifts. Well I kinda already know that stuff having been into bodybuilding a looooooong time ago. So that is not a concern. The thing is, I am not really interested in "Oly" lifting at this point in my life. I really want more Aussie pull-ups and rolling big tires around and such.
    In that case I would advise against doing crossfit. The lifts that you would be doing would be mostly Oly/power lifts and not the usual bodybuilding kind of lifts (depending on which era of bodybuilding you're looking at I guess).

I'd look for "functional fitness" type of gym, where they're more open to individualised programming (some crossfit affiliated gyms may do this).
    Maybe search for local meet up groups in your area that train this way. Back when I was doing crossfit on my own there were va few groups like that around my city v out of people's garages. That may have been due to there not being anycrossfit boxes around at the time of course.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Then try to find a box with strongman classes. My old box had one - stone to shoulder, keg carries, keg presses, axle rods, yoke carries, tire flips - it was friggin' awesome.
    That sounds like fun. Above all, if I'm not having fun with my workout, I'm not going to be consistent with it.

Good idea about searching beyond the Xfit brand to "functional fitness", Misabi.

I really want to thank everyone for giving me some great info and perspective on this topic.

Cheers

Robin

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast