Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Crossfit Advice page 6

MathFit is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think it would be cool if more places just offered straight up group weightlifting classes that focused on squats, deadlifts etc. That's the part I enjoy. If I go do that on my own at a gym, without a coach, no way will I push myself to go heavy. I looked for personal trainers, and around here, I didn't find anyone that did that type of lifting, nor were they affordable. My friend used to go to a place around here and pay something god awful like $500 a month to run on a treadmil and do bicep curls and bodyweight squats.
    Check out Catalyst Athletics. They post Olympic lifting workouts and are a fantastic resource for everything having to do with Olympic lifting. Right now they are on week 8 of a 9 week cycle. They also have programmed cycles that you can follow. I'd check with the owners/trainers at your box and see if they'd be okay if you did your own thing. I have no problem with my more experienced members working independently.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thanks so much everybody for the helpful info.

The whole "fitness" vs "strength" concept is interesting has come up in a couple of responses. I don't really feel the need to bench press double my body weight but I am very fit. I climb mountains and do long distance ocean swimming.

What are people's thoughts on Crossfit being geared more toward strength or more toward fitness?
    Overall, CrossFit is geared more towards overall fitness. I think that you'll find both your mountain climbing and your swimming will improve with CrossFit. Some people use CrossFit as their sport. However, the original intention was for CrossFit to help improve your sport. For you, that would probably mean more CrossFit in the winter months when you can't get outside as often and less CrossFit during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is extremely helpful information. Thank you. I have a choice of three boxes in my area. Perhaps I can get in to try each out for a day and then decide.
    That's what I would do.

As for the cost, yes, CrossFit is expensive. We charge $150 with discounted rates for students, military, law enforcement, etc. However, I believe it's totally worth it. Most of our classes have fewer than 10 people in them. Between the trainers and the more experienced members, you're pretty much guaranteed to get some one-on-one training.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MathFit View Post
    Overall, CrossFit is geared more towards overall fitness.
    Crossfit is geared more towards random circuits, completed for time, without any logic behind the programming

I think that you'll find both your mountain climbing and your swimming will improve with CrossFit.
    ...for a little while if you're a rank novice. Kind of like how riding a bicycle will make your bench press improve if you're a rank novice.

Some people use CrossFit as their sport.
    although, oddly, I understand that most of the top competitors use Outlaw training to prepare for CrossFit competition, not CrossFit. Or you could say that's not odd at all...

However, the original intention was for CrossFit to help improve your sport.
    The original intention of CrossFit was for Greg Glassman to make millions of dollars by selling circuit training to the masses as if it were something new or revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Crossfit is geared more towards random circuits, completed for time, without any logic behind the programming
    That is not necessarily true for all CrossFit gyms. My programming is very well thought out and while it may appear random from the outside, it is not without logic.

...for a little while if you're a rank novice. Kind of like how riding a bicycle will make your bench press improve if you're a rank novice.
    Again, not necessarily true. Yes, people who are new to CrossFit, or any fitness program, will see great improvement at the beginning with the rate of improvement decreasing over time. However, I've been doing CrossFit for 4 years and I continue to see improvement in both my strength and metabolic conditioning.

although, oddly, I understand that most of the top competitors use Outlaw training to prepare for CrossFit competition, not CrossFit. Or you could say that's not odd at all...
    Outlaw is based on CrossFit. It's just not the main site programming. Many CrossFit gyms don't use the main site programming.

The original intention of CrossFit was for Greg Glassman to make millions of dollars by selling circuit training to the masses as if it were something new or revolutionary.
    That probably wasn't the original intention. However, if I were to open my own gym now, I would not pay to have CrossFit in the name. I do, however, believe in the philosophy behind CrossFit and don't see any reason to stray from what is working quite well for me and everyone that I train.

That is not necessarily true for all CrossFit gyms. My programming is very well thought out and while it may appear random from the outside, it is not without logic.
    Okay, so in what way is non-CrossFit sanctioned programming CrossFit? Did Greg Glassman invent circuit training?

Again, not necessarily true. Yes, people who are new to CrossFit, or any fitness program, will see great improvement at the beginning with the rate of improvement decreasing over time. However, I've been doing CrossFit for 4 years and I continue to see improvement in both my strength and metabolic conditioning.
    Do you think you're stronger and more metabolically conditioned than you would be if you'd spent 4 years training for strength and an appropriate amount of time training for whatever you're referring to as "metabolic conditioning?" I vote for no.

Outlaw is based on CrossFit. It's just not the main site programming. Many CrossFit gyms don't use the main site programming.
    Again, if you make the term CrossFit nebulous enough, you can say any training is CrossFit. Is an Olympic Weightlifting workout CrossFit that doesn't follow the main site, or is it something different entirely? I obviously see it as the latter.

That probably wasn't the original intention. However, if I were to open my own gym now, I would not pay to have CrossFit in the name. I do, however, believe in the philosophy behind CrossFit and don't see any reason to stray from what is working quite well for me and everyone that I train.
    Well, I see the philosophy of CrossFit as inherently flawed. Here's a good article for those that care to know why:
    T NATION | The Biggest Training Fallacy of All

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I like how people who defend their CrossFit programming always point out that it is not the programming from HQ.

It's like saying Starting Strength has great programming as long as you don't listen to what Mark Rippetoe says about it.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Well, I see the philosophy of CrossFit as inherently flawed. Here's a good article for those that care to know why:
    T NATION | The Biggest Training Fallacy of All
    I read that article, and it makes perfect sense. But I don't understand why you think that Crossfit does not provide people with progressively greater stressors that stimulate adaptation.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Crossfit isn't for everyone. Just as paleo/primal has haters, so does Crossfit.

I do it because it's fun, and makes me better at the other sports I do... ski, snowboard, hike, mountain bike, swim, Lift Heavy Things (like rocks) in my yard. I don't ever intend to compete in anything more than the Crossfit Open, and my workouts help me maintain a fitness level that's much higher than 99% of the rest of the US population. I don't have the genetic gift nor the motivation to be an elite athlete, I just want to be able to do the things I enjoy.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I read that article, and it makes perfect sense. But I don't understand why you think that Crossfit does not provide people with progressively greater stressors that stimulate adaptation.
    Because CrossFit does not provide people with progressively greater stressors that stimulate adaptation. Is Fran incrementally loadable?

Try this one if the last one didn't make that sufficiently clear:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...hrows_down&cr=
    Last edited by RichMahogany; 06-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast