Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Crossfit Advice page 4

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Also, I think few, if any, of the top competitive xfitters got as strong as they are through just doing xfit. It looks to me like most come into xfit the beasts who then improve their conditioning to the required to compete. Even then v they are doing a hell of a lot more training than the basic xfit template, so when taking about xfit we need to be clear if we're talking about doing it to get fit/strong or to compete, as to me they are very different things. One could essentially compete in xfit while using other styles of training to prepare for it.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    I suppose I will weigh in as well.

I understand people's bias AGAINST Crossfit (like quikky and Rich). While the gyms will tend to follow the same general outline of the Crossfit methodology, there are definitely less desirable gyms out there. I was in a gym that was run by two different sets of coaches and I had completely different experiences with both of them. I prefer the ones I have now.

The biggest issue I have seen, injury wise, with Crossfit tends to be men that are in generally good shape but have never really done Olympic lifts before, or have been inactive for a period of time before beginning training. The injuries usually come from ego driven "I can lift more than this person over here" mentality and at a gym where the coaches are not as observant, it can be a bad environment.

That said, I think Crossfit gyms, in general, have begun to take a more dedicated approach to bettering form of their Olympic lifts. I am looking to get Level 1 Trainer certified myself, but I am going to be attending some USA Weightlifting courses first. At my gym the past two months, we have had guest instruction from a Crossfitter that took three years off to study Oly lifts, for example.

Bottom line, as with everything, there is good and bad. I love that I can work out in a more bootcamp style atmosphere, but with weights (but I am military). I say bootcamp because of the general group intensity level. You find a good class and you become friends with the people you workout with. You sweat and (if you accidentally knock yourself on a boxjump) you might even bleed a little with them. You get to throw heavy shit around in a (if you go to a good gym) safe environment. I started a year ago and am easily in the best shape of my lift.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I would never do xfit because I wouldn't pay $150/month to be motivated by people when I was self-motivated to begin with. Just my opinion.
    Good Grok! It costs that much? Really?

But you don't have to go to a xfit box to do xfit..
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    But you don't have to go to a xfit box to do xfit..
    You said there was a website? Anybody can get access to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You said there was a website? Anybody can get access to that?
    Sure, anyone can access the daily WODs and how to videos, for free directly from the crossfit.com site, or go here for scaled versions of the wod to suit your ability: http://crossfitbrandx.com

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    I first heard of crossfit as this great website that posted minimalist, military-style WODs that anyone could do, anywhere, with a minimum of equipment.
    Now its a gym franchise mania.

Funny how complicated simple, zen, primal ideas can get when there's a chance to make money. I think the only simplicity left in Crossfit is the affectation of calling their gyms "boxes."
    Not saying they aren't great places. Just that they've evolved beyond the original idea, as I understood it.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    First, the only experience of crossfit that I have is pseudo second-hand. I have clients who do crossfit, and I've also connected with the boxes in my area in an attempt to get them to incorporate some postural work/mobility work into their offerings for their clients.

I'm basically setting up some opportunities for myself and my practitioners to go in and teach the crew about what we do and how it helps -- starting with such tag lines as "No DownDog, No Snatch." (see that double entendre there? lol Inappropriate Yoga Teacher!).

In terms of what I"m seeing in my clients is that there's an overall change in fitness -- they seem to have quick results which plateau within a couple of months (say 3-4) -- their progress in yoga slows down a bit (they get tighter), and then usually there's some kind of shoulder injury or knee soreness that creeps in around this time (might be what causes the plateau).

The knee and shoulder injuries take some time to fix, the knee one usually coming out of the hips/improper form in deep body weight squats done in multiple sets for time, while the shoulder injury comes from. . . well usually a postural alignment problem combined with the shoulder-heavy workouts with weights or otherwise.

I do not advocate for or against CF, though some things give me -- personally -- some pause based on risk of injury. They often take a lot of strength and flexibilty to do certain moves, which are not 'beginner' moves that usually 'beginners' are doing.

Anyway, they do vary in their quality and how they work with you specifically, but it's not an environment or regimen that I -- personally -- would do well in, though I think it's an environment that a lot of people *can* do very well in, and it gives them a lot of support and motivation in their journey.

And that, i find particularly valuable. Also, i just like the people. Most of the cross fitters whom I know are just cool people.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    And FWIW, most of the injured students that I see are injured from a combination of their postural pattern plus their sport (repetitive motion) which is effectively "poor form" even if the form generally "looks right." Strange, that. Comes from other yoga studios, too, and all kinds of places. Lots of injured people. I attract them. Probably because I'm working on the same thing. And birds of a feather etc.
    Last edited by zoebird; 06-19-2013 at 01:48 AM.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm considering joining?
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Sure, anyone can access the daily WODs and how to videos, for free directly from the crossfit.com site, or go here for scaled versions of the wod to suit your ability: CrossFit Brand X | Ramona, California | Powered by CrossFit
    Paleobird thanks for starting this thread

Misabi that links great
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast