Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Crossfit Advice page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I took a volunteer training at a fire/ranger station in the mountains once. It was clear that the firefighters that worked there during the week used the WOD from the main cross-fit website for fitness. They had basic weight lifting equipment in the garage plus a weight room and they had the WOD with scores on a whiteboard. It looks that you could do cross-fit on your own if you have the equipment available. That might be one way to try it out, although it sounds like the whole social thing is probably 50% of the experience.

I have not ever done it myself. I feel I need a more linear structure and something with a clear path of progress toward strength. My experience with something more random didn't gain me much progress.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Hi PB, I do Crossfit at various times during the year. I enjoy it and the motivating environment in the box, but I like more variety and as a result incorporate it into an overall year round approach to my training, that combines some months focused on bodybuilding, some months on power lifting and some months of metabolic conditioning using Crossfit. It is definitely cult like and they tend to not build enough recovery into their programming (I have a lot of injured Crossfit friends) but you are in control, so bend it to your individual needs and approach to conditioning. You can pay by the month.

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    For starters, I'd like to say that this is likely the only intelligent, respectable Crossfit discussion occurring on the internet.Everyone else is calling out each others manhood or lack of functioning brain cells.

I held a membership at a gym when I lived in another state years ago. I did not use it 5-6 days a week, more like 2 or so. I supplemented it with a lot of my own work at home with a great home gym. Mine was a bargain compared to what they charge now.

I don't have a love-hate relationship or a hate one with CF, although I think in general that assessment is correct. I would say I look at it the way I look at a 6-pack of German beer.... I am a homebrewer, and I compete some of my beers....so for me, yes, it's good German beer. Its better than most....but it ain't the BEST beer, because it isn't fresh, is mass-produced and thus bottled differently, and I didn't make it....what that means is that anyone that says "hey, this German beer here is the BEST beer in the world", I think "Wrong. You clearly haven't had mine or others like me who make it."

I look at Crossfit like this, and I agree with Quikky in that sense....doing olympic lifts for speed, or for that matter push-ups or burpees, is a stupid idea. Dude #1's ability to do 200 pushups faster than dude #2 is irrelevant if #2 can bench double #1. Sorry....the whole time concept, the entire MEASURE of Crossfit, is misguided.

After the timing aspect, here are the core concepts of CF:
    1) Compound olympic lifts are effective.
    2) Military-type metabolic conditioning work is effective. (This is debatable)
    3) Train the whole body, and don't specialize on just speed, strength, or endurance.

Now for me, none of that is remotely ground-breaking, and #2 is not a proven fact. The reality is that a lot of times you get good results as a novice, but to push past that will take more regimentation....planning targeted workouts, tracking progress, and cross-training on the side to keep up cardio IS SUPERIOR to Crossfit, hands down, take it to the bank...but CF can motivate people that won't do the former, is more widely available programming, has marketing, etc, and it is also much better than the complete time wasting most people do.

It's like this, from least to most effective:
    * Conventional wisdom advice (use machines, elypticals, eat rice cakes, generally workout like you see in nursing homes)
    * Magazine-style advice (faddish garbage full of idiocy like "6 moves for a six-pack")
    * Body-by-science, fitness book style advice (effective, but not past novice)
    * Personal trainer & Globogym advice (effective, but too much long-disproven dogmatic garbage)
    * Primal fitness, as from book (very effective, but unlikely to produce past very good health. Not a vanity or powerlifting routine)
    * Crossfit, P90X, Insanity, other marketed stuff (Very effective, but usually a lack of long-term goal setting. Effective up to elite level)
    * Elite athlete, bodybuilding, Ultimate diet, IF regimens (Capable of producing elite level definition, power, speed, or whatever is the goal)

Now, the reason people trash each other on every Crossfit discussion is because SOME Crossfit adherents like to act as if their regimen is superior to the last group. It's not, period. Keep in mind that most of these programs are very arduous to do, take a lot of patience, and are often highly protected by those that designed them. Crossfit is fine and has it's strengths and pitfalls, but it isn't a superior program to what guys like Martin Berkham, Lyle McDonald,or John Romaniello are putting out there. Same goes for elite coaches at colleges of all disciplines....so long as you recognize that, you will keep your expectations reasonable and not go for the hype portion of its programming.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-18-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I did crossfit for a year back on 08/09 and got into the best shape of my life (which includes the 8 years iv served in the any).

Some caveats though, I was doing it on my own at my work gym, but had a guy there that was a really good lifting coach, and i would train only 3 maybe 4 times a week. I wouldn't always go balls to the wall either, need to listen to your body.

Be careful with it as it is intense and really easy to push to hard too soon, especially as part of a group once it becomes a competition, as well as the standard program (3 days on one off two on) is a lot of work and hard on the body.

I also think you could run into trouble trying to do it for any period of time vlc, due to the intensity. It may work for a while but most people crash and burn after a while. Up your carbs to match your work output.

Good workout methodology though. Still train like that but with just body weight exercises now mostly.

I followed the scaled workouts published on http://crossfitbrandx.com, rather than on the crossfit main site, also a very supportive forum. With the scaling I found it was much easier to step up a level on the more bodyweight or lighter weight metcon WODs than those involving more weight. If I were to get back into it again I'd concentrate on building a better base strength first, as is easier to improve conditioning (or at least that's my experience).

Crossfit football also looks like a really good program, which I've never tried but used to see another guy at my gym train. Seems more geared to packing in the mass required for the gridiron.
    Last edited by Misabi; 06-18-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    As an aside, I did one of the Outlaw Way Crossfit workouts yesterday, followed by a 2 hour hike after dinner....so I heart me some Crossfit. I just don't time myself and these require a lot of rest. I use it as a filler day between by 2 max out, regimented compound lift days that I track religiously.

It's not a Romanian squat routine that has churned out world champ or a mega-strict macro counting diet, but it's damn effective. I also don't want fitness as life (not all the time, just occasionally), but rather fitness for life. CF fits into that.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    Her descriptions of the later sessions are less terrifying!
    The link you posted has sessions 1-4. Are there more available?

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks so much everybody for the helpful info.

The whole "fitness" vs "strength" concept is interesting has come up in a couple of responses. I don't really feel the need to bench press double my body weight but I am very fit. I climb mountains and do long distance ocean swimming.

What are people's thoughts on Crossfit being geared more toward strength or more toward fitness?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MathFit View Post
    I've been doing CrossFit for 4 years and I've been a trainer for 3 years. I'm 44 years old and in the best shape of my life.

Quick answers to your questions:
    1. No, not all CrossFit gyms are the same. Some are FAR, FAR better than others. It all comes down to the trainers.
    2. Group pressure can be motivating for some people and it can be highly detrimental for others. I have people that I train that I have push and others that I have to rein in. A good trainer knows the people that they train.
    3. People get retarded when the clock is running. As such, I don't allow any of the people that I train to do Olympic lifts for time. I'm also cautious about movements like deadlifts. Burpees can be sloppy, deadlifts and snatches can't.
    4. We do not have any open gym times at our gym. However, we do allow our more experienced athletes to come in during regular class times and work independently.

We don't have any contracts at our gym. However, the owner does give a discount for paying for 6 months or 12 months up front. He is also very good about putting memberships on hold due to illness, injury, vacation, work, etc.

What I have found is that people either have a love-hate relationship with CrossFit or they just flat out hate it. The first thing I would ask the gyms you are considering is if they have an On-Ramp or beginner's class.

Find out what kind of training the trainers have.
    This is extremely helpful information. Thank you. I have a choice of three boxes in my area. Perhaps I can get in to try each out for a day and then decide.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I would never do xfit because I wouldn't pay $150/month to be motivated by people when I was self-motivated to begin with. Just my opinion.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thanks so much everybody for the helpful info.

The whole "fitness" vs "strength" concept is interesting has come up in a couple of responses. I don't really feel the need to bench press double my body weight but I am very fit. I climb mountains and do long distance ocean swimming.

What are people's thoughts on Crossfit being geared more toward strength or more toward fitness?
    Personally, I found it leaning more towards "fitness", in that doing a few short workouts a week (5 - 20 mins per week) rapidly increased my capacity for over all work output better than something like running ever did & without the time commitment I used to allocate to my daily 5 milers etc. In addition to that I certainly did get stronger and looked a hell of a lot better than I ever did when I was a runner, but I felt I would have gotten stronger without all the metcon work. Not saying that was a bad thing, but my goal at the time was to lean out while improving my ability to spar faster and harder and for longer than my training partners, while getting a little stronger, all of which I achieved.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast