Thread: 1st batch of BB a fail? page

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member

1st batch of BB a fail?

Shop Now
    I finished making my first batch of gf beef bone broth...I followed the recipe i found on one of these forums and simmered bones, acv, an onion, carrot and celerey for 48 hours...I put in fridgee and expected it to turn jelly like but after a night in the fridge, it looks like, well, broth but no jelliness...did I do something wrong? Am I still getting all those good BB benefits?

Tastes ok, but I think I'm going to freeze most of it for cooking...prefer taste of chicken broth so I'm going to set up a crock pot tonight with those bones...but I understand that I only need to cook that 24 hrs...I'm hoping to drink a cup a day before meals to help with the full feeling and get those good minerals/collagen and as I used it last night, after dinner when I want a little something...a 1/2c with some pork rinds stifled my urge to overeat...put that feeling down and allowed me to stay in my macros...

I looked on MFP and it said bone broth had about 40c/cup...does that sound right? Skimmed off what little fat there was when it harded and floated to the top.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Add gelatin to it, 2 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin per quart. Gelatin is mostly found in joints. Use more joint pieces next time.

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    Can I add that now to the cold soup in the container in the fridge or do I add it as I heat it up? Say a tsp/cup? Will unflavored gelatin still give me those collagen benefits? So next time knuckle bones? I used neck bones from Slankers.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post
    Can I add that now to the cold soup in the container in the fridge or do I add it as I heat it up? Say a tsp/cup? Will unflavored gelatin still give me those collagen benefits? So next time knuckle bones? I used neck bones from Slankers.
    You can mix it in now if you want. It won't dissolve much until it is heated, but when you heat each cup that will happen.

The beef gelatin you can purchase is the same as what you would get from bones.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like too much water to the quantity of bones. Do you have a pressure cooker? If so, 1 hour in that for chicken bones will give a lovely rich gelatin stock.