Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo IF/Lean Gains here asking about fat intake.... page

fkjr2 is online now Senior Member

Talking Paleo IF/Lean Gains here asking about fat intake....

Primal Fuel
    so I understand fat is good but what about on heavy lift days?

according to Int Fasting and Lean Gains, the idea is to keep fats low and carbs higher on lift days.

since going paleo, I've kept my fats fairly steady between 100-150 grams per day even on lift days - is this not acceptable and should I do low fat on these days?

Im torn because most paleo recipes call for pretty high fat ingredients like coconut, almonds, avocado, etc.

Thanks

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    It's acceptable, but it's not the LeanGains protocol. Primal is about overall health. LeanGains is about abz.

If you want to combine the two, just eat sweet or white potatoes and lean meats on your workout days, lower carb fatty primal on your recovery days.

dabears is offline Member
    That is a ton of fat dude... what is your protein intake like?

The whole idea behind carb/fat cycling is that you only have a limited amount of grams you can consume within your calorie goals. You should be keeping protein high on all days, so that leaves fat and carbs to be played around with. You eat higher fat and lower carb on rest days, since carbs aren't as useful at this point... and higher carb lower fat post workout to fuel muscle growth. If you have high protein, high carb, and high fat... this is a recipe for GETTING fat.

Paleo is just a list of foods you can eat, create a meal plan that is appropriate for your goals... not what a recipe says!

thought so! - my protein never changes - always up - between 150-180 grams per day
    I weight 150

I think I need to go back to my Lean Gain days - I would do super low fat like 40-50 grams on lift days and back up to 100 on rest days

Carbs I boosted to 300+ on lift days and under 50 on rest days.

Right now I am keeping fats the same/higher on ALL days which looks like my problem!

Ok what about doing strictly paleo eating with LCHF where fats sits consistently around 125-140 per day even on heavy lifts days?! Would that build muscle and cut fat ala lean gains way if I also keep protein high?!

I ask because I actual PREFER paleo eating with more fats etc than high carb eating on lift days. I always feel bloated after carb up day!

Thanks guys

dabears is offline Member
    dude "paleo eating" is whatever you make it. It is just a list of what foods are edible. That being said, it is hard to eat "high carb" on paleo, that is a lot of potatoes / rice compared with bread/pasta.

You need to eat carbs after you lift, to the tune of 100-150g for those days. Eat leaner meats so you aren't way overshooting your calories (assuming you are getting enough for growth), and eat fattier cuts / limit carbs to veggies on rest days.

It really is simple... potatoes/rice post workout with something like fish/chicken breast/tuna. Other meals are meats & veggies, which has endless possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    dude "paleo eating" is whatever you make it. It is just a list of what foods are edible. That being said, it is hard to eat "high carb" on paleo, that is a lot of potatoes / rice compared with bread/pasta.

You need to eat carbs after you lift, to the tune of 100-150g for those days. Eat leaner meats so you aren't way overshooting your calories (assuming you are getting enough for growth), and eat fattier cuts / limit carbs to veggies on rest days.

It really is simple... potatoes/rice post workout with something like fish/chicken breast/tuna. Other meals are meats & veggies, which has endless possibilities.
    No need to get frisky.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Are you in a caloric deficit everyday, or are you in a caloric surplus on training days and a deficit on off days?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Are you in a caloric deficit everyday, or are you in a caloric surplus on training days and a deficit on off days?
    Slight surplus (10-20%^) on lift days and slight deficit on rest days. (5-10%<)

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    Slight surplus (10-20%^) on lift days and slight deficit on rest days. (5-10%<)
    Ok. The reason you want to keep fat low on training days is that if you're in a caloric surplus, the excess fat you eat will be stored as fat, whereas carbohydrates are much less likely to be stored as fat (unless you consume an extreme amount, which you don't).

So, don't overthink. High protein on all days, lower carb, higher fat on off days, higher carb, lower fat on training days.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast