Thread: Ongoing Issues page

maclrc is offline Senior Member

Ongoing Issues

Shop Now
    Hi All,

I've suffered from digestive issues for a long time now. Symptoms are bloating/gas and loose BMs. I've been primal for several years now and that has improved things a lot, however I still often have the same issues.

I tested positive for lactose intolerance a while back, so avoid dairy altogether except small amounts of ghee. More recently I worked out I was having issues with coconut and onions, which led me to look into a low fodmap diet. This has cleared up the gas issues, but if anything the loose BMs have become more frequent. The low fodmap diet does greatly limit the number of vegetables allowed, and as a result I'm probably eating less of them. Could this be the cause of the loose BMs? Is it lack of fibre (I no CW massively overplays the benefits of fibre, but some probably helps, right)?

I want to start trying to reintroduce foods eliminated when starting low fodmap, but these ongoing issues prevent me from gauging the effects. Is it worth trying a fibre supplement? Any other suggestions?

I can post the foods I eat regularly if that helps...

EDIT - I should probably mention that these problems aside, I am in good health; 29yo male, 5'9", 165 lbs;
    Last edited by maclrc; 06-18-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Foods I eat regularly:

Various meat, fish, and poultry - steak, salmon (smoked and otherwise), tuna, chicken thighs, pork belly, bacon, etc.
    Vegetables (not in huge quantities I must admit) - spinach, sweet potatoes, bok choi, green beans, parsnips, white potatoes (on occasion) - my choices here are currently limited by low fodmap elimination, I hope to be able to reintroduce other moderate choices once issues are resolved
    Eggs - lots of eggs
    Fruit - bananas, berries, oranges (whole and juice), occasional smoothie (low fodmap fruits)
    Gluten free toast
    Pate (lactose and gluten free)
    Soaked walnuts

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Are you using coconut oil at all? That tends to exacerbate diarrhea. Drink coffee (might want to eliminate that)?

I would recommend eliminating the oranges and orange juice, as those are not a low FODMAP food. Personally, oranges upset my stomach and I can't have them too often. It's something to do with the citric acid content, I think.

What happens if you just eat meat for a few days? Better or worse?

I would also eliminate the gluten-free toast while you're figuring this out. Keep it as simple as possible.

Do you take in any kind of probitioc food or supplement? If no, might want to try it (saurkraut, not sure if cabbage is low-FODMAP though). If yes, might want to stop for a little while to see if that helps.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I don't use coconut oil or drink coffee, so no problems there.

I thought oranges were ok, but just done some more research though and it seems I was mistaken; thanks for pointing this out Nameless. I'll drop that right away.

I sporadically take a probiotic supplement, but don't think it has too much impact.

Well,I'll see how things go without the oranges, which I think I've probably started eating a lot more recently...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Check the labels of your gluten-free bread and other such products. Xanthan gum gives me diarrhea.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I have the same issues. Chronic diarrhea for the past 5 or 6 years. 3 weeks ago I started the elimination diet - I went hard core for the first 2 weeks I ate nothing but protein. Eggs/meat/fish. No dairy, no nuts. Just eggs and meat and fish. It has greatly improved my gut issues. I also lost 9 pounds in 21 days (bonus!).

If you can go a week on zero carbs and don't see a huge improvement in your gut issues then fructose malabsorption is NOT your problem.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    It could be worth posting a food diary - do you eat the same foods daily? When I started on PB, admittedly only 7 months ago, I had this issue for a few weeks, and I believe the things that set me off were certain acidic salad dressings, canned coconut milk (I don't know why), and fruit salads where I was eating a lot of acid that was disguised by the sugar (mainly it was the acid for me that caused it I believe)

More good ideas, thanks ladies.

If eliminating the oranges doesn't help, I'll try the zero carb (well, maybe some sweet potatoes) week.

Will check the bread ingredients and I think also I'll drop the nuts as I don't like them all that much and it seems lots of people have issues with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    It could be worth posting a food diary - do you eat the same foods daily? When I started on PB, admittedly only 7 months ago, I had this issue for a few weeks, and I believe the things that set me off were certain acidic salad dressings, canned coconut milk (I don't know why), and fruit salads where I was eating a lot of acid that was disguised by the sugar (mainly it was the acid for me that caused it I believe)
    If I can't get to the bottom of things soon, the food diary might well be the way to go.