Thread: Peeled plum tomatoes page

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member

Peeled plum tomatoes

Primal Fuel
    Torent Italian peeled plum tomatoes in a 400g can.

Ingredients:
    Tomatoes (60%), Tomato juice, acidity regulator, citric acid.
    Per 1/2 can serving.

Kcal. 47g
    Protein. 2.4g
    Carbohydrate. 7.2g
    Of which sugars. 7.2g
    Fat. 1.0g
    Saturates. Trace
    Fibre. 0.6g
    Sodium. Trace
    Salt. Trace

Would this be a let down for primal or acceptable. Bearing in mind it would be two-three servings and the juice would be drained away.

Thoughts please.
    Ps I've got another couple of questions like this so I hope I'm posting in the correct place and not annoying anyone. Thanks.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I don't know what "acidity regulator" is, but that seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't think you need to worry about the macro nutrient breakdown very much (protein carbs etc.) when it comes to packaged foods, just the ingredients. If you can find something with just tomatoes and citric acid, that would be best, but I don't use canned tomatoes very much so I'm not sure if that is something that is available.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I don't know what "acidity regulator" is, but that seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't think you need to worry about the macro nutrient breakdown very much (protein carbs etc.) when it comes to packaged foods, just the ingredients. If you can find something with just tomatoes and citric acid, that would be best, but I don't use canned tomatoes very much so I'm not sure if that is something that is available.
    It was the sugar content that concerned me more than anything. 7.2 g. It's not added sugar but fructose I imagine, but I'm new to this so any advice is more than welcome.
    Thanks.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    It was the sugar content that concerned me more than anything. 7.2 g. It's not added sugar but fructose I imagine, but I'm new to this so any advice is more than welcome.
    Thanks.
    Sugary vegetables like tomato, carrot, onion, and beetroot contain a little fructose but its ratio with the micronutrients is very favorable so I say eat lots of them.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    If you're freaking out over the sugar content in tomatoes, you need to breathe deeply. If you're going to eat sugars, you want them preferably from whole food sources, like tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables. You want to avoid added sugar (HFCS, esp.), but seriously, the sugar in tomatoes is NO concern.
    Cheers marra, that's bacon, egg and tomatoes for my Scran later.