Thread: Modifying Fruit Smoothie page

maclrc is offline Senior Member

Modifying Fruit Smoothie

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I'm looking to try adding some smoothies back into my diet because they are tasty and convenient. I used to make smoothies with frozen fruit (berries and banana mostly), eggs or protein powder, and coconut milk; however I've recently discovered that coconut products (except oil) don't work for me.

So, my question... is it viable to add things to pre-made smoothies e.g. Innocent (I only buy berry based ones), I'm thinking a raw egg and some nut butter maybe to boost fat and protein, or will it just turn into a disgusting mess?

Alternatively are there any other non-diary bases to use for the smoothie with a good nutritional profile (high fat and or protein)?

Thanks

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    use an avocado instead of milk, ( avocado, spinach, vanilla protein, lemon, egg, water) takes getting used to but it's good. Don't buy pre-made, expand your pallet and food knowledge and experiment. (chocolate protein, almond butter, bananna, egg, water)
    ( macadamia nut butter, pinapples, water, vanilla protein powder, bannna)

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    use an avocado instead of milk, ( avocado, spinach, vanilla protein, lemon, egg, water) takes getting used to but it's good. Don't buy pre-made, expand your pallet and food knowledge and experiment. (chocolate protein, almond butter, bananna, egg, water)
    ( macadamia nut butter, pinapples, water, vanilla protein powder, bannna)
    Thanks for the advice Wolfman. I'm off avocado at the moment (going low Fodmap) in an attempt to get rid of ongoing digestive issues, but the banana based ones look good.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The nut I have found gives the closest approximation to dairy is raw cashew. It blends up absolutely smooth, leaving no fibrous residue as almonds do. 1 ounce of raw cashews per cup of water if it is 'milk' you want, 2 ounces if you want 'cream'.