Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal/Paleo for my dog? page

Franklin's Dad is offline Junior Member

Primal/Paleo for my dog?

I have a 2-year-old mixed breed dog who has had horrible allergy problems since pretty much the day we adopted him at 5 months. We feed him standard cheap dry and wet dog food twice a day, and he usually doesn't even like it all that much. Lots of times he won't even eat until he's absolutely starving. He's in great shape physically, and he gets tons of exercise, but the allergies are a huge issue.

I'm wondering if anyone in the MAD community feeds their dogs Paleo "human food" and if they've had success. Having been on a Paleo diet myself and an avid reader of this site for the past 10 or so months, I can speak to its success for people, but I have no idea how that translates to dogs. I would think a Paleo diet would make even more sense for animals than it would for humans.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Knowing what I know about dried foods, id never give them to my dogs.

My dogs are on a raw diet and look/feel great, my mastiff got mistaken for a 4 year old last time at the vets (8.5 yo breed thats average life span is 8-10 years) They get mostly raw meat + fish, eggs, yogurt etc
    I also have quite a few clients (work with dogs) who have switched to a raw diet with amazing results.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    At the very least, get your dog on a limited ingredient dog food (wet and/or dry) if they have allergies. Why would you feed them something they are allergic to?

My parents' dog had allergies that developed suddenly and I got my mom to put her on a limited ingredient kibble. The rash went away within a week after months of antibiotics & steroid creams didn't work.

Raw diet is best however. It's a lot of work.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

piggy is offline Senior Member
    I had great success with feeding my dog "paleo" food. I did cook him meat (beef or pork or chicken or chicken livers ) with some rice and vegetables and some olive oil. I also put some ginger on his food (seemed to help with his joint pains when he reached 17 years). This diet, that I fed him for the last almost 10 years of his life helped him get to almost 18 and a half. His vet attributed his good health to good genes and my cooking.

Wow, I just realised that my dog was primal way before me.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post

Wow, I just realised that my dog was primal way before me.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Heh Heh, mine to..in fact thats what led me to primal.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    My dogs get raw meat and they love it, which actually isn't saying much because they'll eat just about anything!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Zen11 is offline Member
    I think all domesticated animals should be fed a primal diet! I adopted an 11yo cat several months ago, and it turns out that she has pancreatitis - experienced a big flare-up within a few weeks of coming home with me, aggravated by the food I was feeding at the time. After spending big $$$ at the vets, and being told that she'd likely need surgery in the near future, she was sent home with expensive prescription cat food that she absolutely refused to eat. After thinking about it and doing some research on the internet, I realized that the easiest, cheapest and probably most effective thing I could do would be to change her diet. Now she eats raw meat with zeal, has lost weight, gained energy and a glossy coat, and hasn't had any more issues with the pancreatitis. WIN!

Paleobird Guest
    Check the ingredients on that dry dog food. Dollars to doughnuts, the first ingredient is "corn".

If feeding corn to cows makes them sick and constantly in need of antibiotics, what does it do to a carnivore?

My dog has a feeder of grain free kibble but that is mostly a backup. He eats some of whatever I am eating (kind of a good portion control reminder, I don't have to finish something when I am no longer hungry or else find a way to store a small amount). He also gets cooking scraps and bones. He goes to the kibble later if he is still hungry.

His fur is so much shinier since we went Primal. Mine is too.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have found that my dogs (I own a German Shepherd and two Alaskan Malamutes) do very well on a mostly fish diet. During winter they get primarily frozen fish, whole, of various kinds. Now that its warmer is my primal table scraps, eggs from my chickens, with occasional grain-free dog food that costs me a fortune....dogs weren't mean to eat grains, period.

As for a pure "raw diet", I have been warned by my vet that dogs are also NOT meant to eat soft food all the time. Make sure they get some bones in their food or it is frozen occasionally. I'm told their teeth can suffer otherwise?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I

As for a pure "raw diet", I have been warned by my vet that dogs are also NOT meant to eat soft food all the time. Make sure they get some bones in their food or it is frozen occasionally. I'm told their teeth can suffer otherwise?
    A raw diet is bones, meat and offal
    My dogs get
    Venison(including neck and backbones)
    Turkey( incl. necks and carcases)
    Veal and beef (incl. marrow bones)
    Rabbit
    Lamb(incl. rib racks and backbones, neck bones)
    Tripe
    Pig feet
    Phesant (incl. carcass)
    Offal from all of the above.
    Sardines and any other fish thats avalible.
    And anything else i run across that i think sutable

My dogs have never had there teeth cleaned but have sparkly white teeth and no bad breath at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast