Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal/Paleo for my dog? page 2

piggy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Make sure they get some bones in their food or it is frozen occasionally. I'm told their teeth can suffer otherwise?
    I second that. Bones work wonders for dog's teeth .

Sent from my Nexus 4

Zach is offline Banned
    Our dog started having really bad hip issues this year, he is a 7 year old sharpei/lab mix. Hes been eating a "high quality" drid dog food his whole life but has had really bad digestion issues for years. Finally i convinced my SO to change his diet because its technically her dog. We started feeding him a 80% meat diet, lots of cooked chicken and raw beef, mostly joint cuts and liver. Also a few raw egg yolks and a quart or plain yogart a week. We also have been giving him a starch most days like cooked rice or sweet potatoes and veggies like lettuce and peas, sometimes carrots or fruit. Once in awhile hes been getting table scraps as well.

I thought for sure that he would have major digestive upset at first but he took to it immediately. So far not a single issue. He eats one meal a day at night and in only about two months we have seen many positives. His hip issues are fading u less hes been running hard all day, he stopped excess shedding and no more oily/flakey skin, and most of all no kore diarrhea. He also lost a bit of fat and is very very lean now, he was already pretty lean before.

I really wish we did this years ago, its really not the inconveniant and its not more expensive at all. All dogs should be fed this way, my next animals will be fed this way from the beginning.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    The natural foods stores carry primal-like dog food with "no grains."
    And check the farmer's market. The meat sellers (Amish) often sell the bones and offal for pet food.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

piggy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I really wish we did this years ago, its really not the inconveniant and its not more expensive at all. All dogs should be fed this way, my next animals will be fed this way from the beginning.
    Definitely this

Sent from my Nexus 4

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    look for grain free kibble or canned, but still check the ingredients because some have oats, rice or barley (when my pups were pups, one of them had a rice allergy, so)

i did have them on taste of the wild til i saw the fat source was canola oil, so now they're on merrick, protreats raw natrurals, and raw chicken wings

(and avocado. butter. cheese. coconut oil. whatever they cute out of me)

if they get too much meat, they have digestive issues so that'll be something else you may want to look out for because gas and sticky poo isn't fun for anybody.

ever.

THE HORROR!!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

NewfMom is offline Junior Member
    Started feeding real food many years ago and then transitioned to mostly raw with no grains about 12 years ago. My Yorkie was having health problems at a very young age - changing her diet to real food and natural health care eliminated all of her issues - she lived to 19 (chiropractic and acupuncture did help the last 2 years of her life because of chronic injuries from my Newfie accidentally running over her when they were chasing a squirrel).

My Newf's current diet is:
    Dinner (1 pound of meat)...
    Raw turkey ground with the bones (bravo) - 2 or 3 times a week
    Raw grass fed beef pet scraps including organs - get this from local rancher - 3 times a week
    Raw buffalo ground with the bones (primal) - once a week
    Occasionally raw lamb ground with the bones (bravo)

Lunch ...
    Eggs (2 or 3 partially cooked with runny yolks and 1 raw) - 2 or 3 times a week
    Canned salmon (sometimes canned sardines and occasionally tuna) - 2 times a week
    Goat yogurt with green food and then a bully stick to chew - 2 times a week
    Try to do a lunch fast 1 day a week

Also give her homemade sauerkraut and some scraps from our food.
    My crazy dog loves veggies, so those are mainly her treats (along with brazil nuts and sometimes cheese).

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    My chi-chi, her hair fell out. Vet said allergy, to fleas. She didnt have fleas. I started giving them good table scraps, since all the crap scraps we didnt have anymore. I started giving her the whey off of my homemade yogurt. And guess what, her hair started growing back in.

I eventually switched to grain free dog food, but they get plenty of good table scraps also. They love bone broth. They love the whey, at least the chi-chi does. The lab mix isnt too hip on it.

She also had a cyst on her belly, had that removed about 2 months ago. Now she is running around and playing just like a pup again. And she is over 10 years old.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

kyle2006 is offline Member
    Be careful with a raw diet. According to a well-known vet (I forget her name lol, you can probably google her) that actually knows about dog nutrition, she said an unbalanced homemade raw diet is the worst diet you can give your dog. If you do transition to a raw diet, make sure you do sufficient research on what to feed and how much. We haven't gone raw with our two because I don't know enough about it, so I don't want to limit essential nutrients that they may otherwise be getting on their current food. Have you tried a grain-free kibble yet? One of our dogs is allergic to a lot of things, and he does great on it. We're feeding Acana now, which is from the same company that makes Orijen - probably the best dry kibble in the world.

I'm not putting down a raw diet at all. I just want to emphasize the significance of doing your homework before you jump into it. Many people think feeding their dog raw is just giving him/her a raw meaty bone and raw chicken. There's much more to it to ensure you're providing a balanced diet.

Zach is offline Banned
    Kyle, most dog foods just throw in added vitamins and minerals, most of which are synthetic and from rock. Its way more likely your dog will develope deficiencies from eating dry dog food then from a raw meat diet.

That said, i agree that you just cant feed them a single source of meat and call it good. Looks like everyone here doing a human food diet for their dogs are giving them top notch food and quite the variety.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Kyle, most dog foods just throw in added vitamins and minerals, most of which are synthetic and from rock. Its way more likely your dog will develope deficiencies from eating dry dog food then from a raw meat diet.

That said, i agree that you just cant feed them a single source of meat and call it good. Looks like everyone here doing a human food diet for their dogs are giving them top notch food and quite the variety.
    Yeah, basically if you just fix an extra plate for your dog your probably in good shape (long as your eating primal that is).

Kyle this eating thing (for a dog or human) isn't rocket science. I think that vet is overcomplicating things in much the same way our RDA's and nutritionist do so with human consumption. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-19-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast