Thread: Need less hydration since going primal? page

miata is online now Senior Member

Need less hydration since going primal?

Primal Fuel
    I've been primal for about 6 months and for the last month or so I have been 99% carb free except for evening or post-workout recovery. One thing I've noticed is that I don't drink near as much as I used to. I used to drink a bottle of water for every hour of riding, but now I only drink one bottle on a 3 hour ride. I watch my weight and there has been very little fluctuation.

Do people need less hydration on a lower carbo, primal diet?
    Last edited by miata; 06-18-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I drink much less water than I used to. I used to have a ton, but on primal I stay hydrated on less.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    are you eating lots of leafy greens? they have tons of water in them. Might explain it. My sister told me the same thing after ditching grains in favor of more leafy veggies.

dabears is offline Member
    your salt intake is also likely lower from removing processed foods

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    are you eating lots of leafy greens? they have tons of water in them. Might explain it. My sister told me the same thing after ditching grains in favor of more leafy veggies.
    I have about 2 cups of mixed kale and spinach either after my rides or around dinner time. The weird thing is that I'm only doing a Bulletproof coffee and 3 soft boiled eggs before heading out in the morning. I don't even drink water before I take off. And still I can go 44 miles in 3 hours with 3,000 ft of elevation gain. I only need about 1/3-1/2 of the hydration I needed before. I'm drinking only one large bike bottle of my homemade concoction with sodium chloride, potassium chloride and ascorbic acid with water.

Is there some kind of scientific explanation of why burning fat requires less hydration than carbos?

Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    your salt intake is also likely lower from removing processed foods
    I've been avoided processed foods 6 months earlier -- and really only see a hydration difference when limiting carbs to evening and post workout recovery.

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I've been avoided processed foods 6 months earlier -- and really only see a hydration difference when limiting carbs to evening and post workout recovery.
    makes sense as well, since carbs draw water into your cells / increase water retention