Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: egg choices? page

dash is offline Member

egg choices?

Primal Fuel
    After going primal a few months ago, I started to notice more than ever more of the differences between grocery stores in the UK and in the States (I'm an American living in Scotland). One that I've been pondering lately is eggs. The variety of egg choices in the UK is pretty amazing compared to my local grocery store in PA. In a small town supermarket in Fife, I have the following choices:

cage laid eggs
    store brand free range
    local free range
    national brand name free range (my favorite is "happy eggs", check out their website, it's hilarious: http://www.thehappyegg.co.uk/ The chickens have sandboxes and "adventure playgrounds")
    store brand organic free range
    heritage breed eggs (such as Old Cotswald Legbar)

Of course the price also goes up the further you get down the list! And eggs here are not cheap in the first place. In trying to walk a balance between healthy and frugal I usually get local free range eggs, but today I dug out the extra 50p and bought half a dozen of the organic ones, just to try them out.

So is there a general consensus about what kind of eggs are best? Is organic worth it? After all the chickens are still eating grain, organic or not, even if they're free range. From what I've read it's quite difficult to keep chickens without feeding them at least some grain.

In an ideal world I'd keep my own chickens or ducks, but at the moment I'm stuck with the grocery store, so what do you all think?

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    personally I would purchase the local free range. I have my own chickens, but when I do have to purchase I like to buy the ones from other farms if possible.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Local free range
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - birds are adapted to eat seeds and grains so I have no problem with it. However you could always keep your own...?

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    id buy local free range too!
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    national brand name free range (my favorite is "happy eggs", check out their website, it's hilarious: http://www.thehappyegg.co.uk/ The chickens have sandboxes and "adventure playgrounds")
    Thank you for posting this link! I love the video. Gives me some good ideas for things to build for my own chickens.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I eat whole foods' free range. I know it's not the best but the price is good.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Local free range
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - birds are adapted to eat seeds and grains so I have no problem with it. However you could always keep your own...?
    Birds are not adapted to eat grains and nothing but grains though and every chicken farm I've worked on feeds them grain and nothing but grain.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I'd do the local too. Be sure you're taking lots of D way up there in Scotland. My D document linked below has helpful info.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    You know I was doing some research on eggs... and came across a site that talks how most chickens are fed with SOY... OMG, didn't even think of that.... all those great free range omega eggs.. with soy???? How do we research this... Ideas?

dash is offline Member
    Yeah, that was part of my worry about the free range/non-organic ones actually, that they could be getting fed all kinds of crap grains (though I *think* they're not allowed to use GMO grains in the UK, not sure). However I had one of the organic free range ones with breakfast today and compared to the local free range the yolk was quite pale (local ones are a really bright yellow). I've been using yolk color as a good indicator of how varied the chicken's diet actually is, though I don't know how accurate it is...?

Cillakat - I know what you mean about the vitamin D, I'm glad it's summer here now since it now gets light around 4.30am and stays light well past 10.30pm! We're lucky to get 6 or 7 hours of daylight in the winter. There's plenty of D-rich fresh seafood to be had though, so I try to eat plenty of that, especially in the winter!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast