Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacon: lets talk salt. page

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member

Question Bacon: lets talk salt.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I want to buy the best cuts of bacon, but cant afford it, lets face it bacon has lots of salt by deffinition.

Can anyone suggest how to make your own cuts of pork taste like proper bacon?

OR....

strategies to reduce the salt in shop bought bacon????

Cheers!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    reduced sodium variety?

didnt know about that,, hard to find? expensive?!

dash is offline Member
    I have considered making my own bacon in order to save some money and avoid the nitrates, (though there's some debate about how bad they really are) but I haven't tried it yet. For one thing it still requires copious amounts of salt as that's part of what makes bacon "bacon", though at least you would have some control over the amounts. Here's a great article about how to make bacon yourself: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net...n/makingbacon/ It also talks about what cuts to use for different kinds of bacon (e.g. pork belly for streaky bacon, loin for back bacon).

As far as shop bought bacon, you could probably reduce the salt content by soaking it in fresh water for half a day or so, maybe change the water every few hours. I just don't know if it's worth it. I hear a lot of conflicting arguments about salt. I figure bacon is one of the few sources of salt in a primal diet (without all those processed foods), so as long as I don't overdo it it shouldn't do any harm!

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    When I ate bacon (I do not eat any pork products anymore) I used to soak it to remove the salt. I would freshen the water now and then and it worked out really well. It cooked up normally in a little unsalted butter.

Keep it in the fridge while soaking it. I simply put the whole pound in my largest pot, kept it covered in the fridge and took out what I wanted to cook when I felt like eating.

Cheers guys, i thought about soaking but its so much effort, and the thing is I enjoy it soo much I will overdo it! i dont think salt is hard to find in primal due to natural salts in meat.... but like canadianwomen i want to restrict the amounts of pork products

Costco sells uncured nitrate free bacon (Coleman's brand). I think three packages run $9. The uncured bacon has less than half the salt of typical bacon. You can also buy low sodium bacon that is not any more expensive...

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Cheers guys, i thought about soaking but its so much effort, and the thing is I enjoy it soo much I will overdo it! i dont think salt is hard to find in primal due to natural salts in meat.... but like canadianwomen i want to restrict the amounts of pork products
    The soaking is a pain in the keester but it is worth it. By the way I restrict pork products because I cannot find any grassfed pork in my area. When I eat conventional pork products from my local supermarket my arthritis/inflammation flares up badly. I want to try grassfed pork to see if the same thing happens so I can figure out if it is a reaction to the pork itself or to whatever the pigs are being fed. I am hoping it is whatever the pigs are being fed because I miss bacon and sausages.

Quote Originally Posted by kansascitysteve View Post
    Costco sells uncured nitrate free bacon (Coleman's brand). I think three packages run $9. The uncured bacon has less than half the salt of typical bacon. You can also buy low sodium bacon that is not any more expensive...
    Cheers next time Im near a costco Ill check it out! altough my local supermarket in here in the uk doesnt sell reduced salt bacon

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Check with your local butcher as well. Mine smokes his with locally grown wood chips, and I love it. Not salty at all. Freaking fabulous stuff, no curling of the meat as it cooks, the fat crisps up nicely and the meat is oh so yummy. They also add omega 3s to the feed. (They grow, breed, slaughter and butcher their own)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast