Thread: Primal Food Pyramid page

Clint is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Do you think there's any chance the USDA will change to this?

http://www.fit4younutrition.com/pyramid-page.html

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member

They will change it the first second they'll learn about EMPATHY

I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
    Yeah!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

With those spelling mistakes? Not likely.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

nessa Guest

@Primalchild - such sass! lol

@Clint - in all seriousness, it would take a lot of government reform, in terms of lobbyists. The various agriculture industries (soy, corn, & dairy in particular) have inserted themselves deeply into various aspects of government. They donate money and get what they want (a federal agency promoting eating more of their product as "healthful"). They win, but the American people lose. Boo.

Mick Guest

It's an interesting thing to try.

What the ethnographic material shows is that people isolated from modern civilization and leading traditional lifestyles and eating traditional food - hunter-gatherers, fishermen, Eskimos, some herders, some farmers - have actually eaten some very varied diets. They've been demonstrably healthy on totally different sets of foods.

I think the "real" content of a healthy diet is not only completely different from what the U.S. Department of Agriculture believes (or affects to believe, if you like) but actually much more flexible.

The Maasai do fine on milk and meat and blood; the Dinka on fish and grain; the Eskimo on fish and seal oil; some Canadian Indians for nine months of the year on nothing but animal meat; old-time Swiss villagers mostly on sourdough rye bread and cheese.

You can't put that in a "pyramid". There's vast diversity there.

The commonality within that vast diversity is the amount of animal fat consumed. All these peoples, who all had superb health, got amounts of fat-soluble vitamins at vastly higher levels than modern people do. Also all their food was natural and "whole" not denatured, not dried, not "polished", not heat-treated, not canned, not in the form of pre-packaged goods or ready meals.

They also knew what to eat and how to prepare it. People who had to make do with just meat knew to eat some raw and to eat particular organs. People who used dairy products didn't pasteurize them, so the enzymes weren't destroyed. People who had some grain in the diet knew to lactic-ferment it to render the phytates harmless, and likewise people who ate nuts or acorns would have processed them for similar reasons.

I think sample food journals are likely more interesting and tell you more. The WAPF has some here:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/boarddiets.html

It'd be interesting to see what was a day's or a week's food for some of these traditional societies broken down in that form.

Clint is offline Senior Member

@Nessa: You're absolutely right. I was hoping some sarcasm would come through with my writing. I have NO delusions that it would even, remotely, be possible!

Catalina is offline Member

If there is a shift, it will be consumer-driven, not government established (and maybe that's a good thing!).