Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Okay, it's time to admit it. page 2

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I don't actually over eat, I eat (used to) rubbish admittedly.
    My fat is a result of heavy drinking over many years, which I've stoppered now.
    Thanks for advice.

Iwami is offline Junior Member

Red face

I spent the last 20 years of my life "dieting" always low fat and whole grains... sure I lost weight, even lost 80lbs one, but it all came back. 20 years of doing the same thing expecting something different.

Like you I was very resistant to fats, but after some time of playing with Paleo (minus the high fats) and reading some success stories here I figured I'd bite the bullet and go with it.

At first it was kind of shocking to see the bacon grease on my plate or the olive oil in my salad, but I committed to give it a try. One thing I took to heart was that if I was going to eat high fat, then my carbs needed to be low, like it has been said already "excess calories in the presence of elevated insulin" is what helps us gain weight.

I went into it head first. 80% fats, 15% protein and 5% carbs from veggies and fruits. What I found was that I lost weight just the same as when I was doing low fat high carbs, but it was easier. I actually had to try and find ways to meet my daily minimum which was around 1200 to 1500. I would have breakfast at 5 am... and wouldn't feel hungry until around 11 am... 6 hours.

I will admit the first few weeks my tummy was making all sorts of noise, but once it became accustom to it, all was good.

I have since upped my carbs and lowered my fats and protein. But I still stay under or around 100g of carbs a day with one or two days going up to 150. It feels like this is the best for me, though others may eat more or less.

I no longer fear healthy fats. I now have a "fear" of canola oil, and other vegetable fats as well as "low fat" products. The other thing that made the switch easier was knowing that that low fat products usually have to compensate for the lack of flavor by adding sugar.

Cooking with healthy fats also tastes delicious once you get over the fear of fats. I can't go back.

edit to add: I also find that I can eat up to around 1600 calories a day and still lose weight. As long as my carbs are lower and from real foods.
    Last edited by Iwami; 06-17-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add info

Iwami, thanks for your story. I still find eating fat scary, but I'm prepared to meet it half way. I'm going to start using a little bit of oil or butter to fry food. Just slow steps to begin with as the fat fear hopefully wears thin.

I might even start roasting chicken legs and trying the skin. This low fat product gimmick is a blatant misguided use of advertising standards. Shame on them.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    don't be embarrassed, one of my first posts was virtually identical to this. Its so contrary to what's pushed at us all the time. Ive done the mince thing too
    I increased my fat over a 3 week period i suppose, because i felt so mentally uncomfortable about it. for me the weight loss did speed up and i've lost 60lb of the 110lb i need to lose. you don't have to be ridiculously high just relax about it. I use butter and dripping- my cholesterols actually lower now.

btw cherries are ace for gout
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-17-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Nice one carby, it's definitely a mental thing as you say, brainwashed by the food industry.

Well done on being more than half way to reaching your goal.

Thanks for the cherries.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    I've heard it said that if you avoid fat, your body will store what fat it comes across. It will also increase the amount of fat it creates thinking you are in a starvation situation. Similar to your body retaining water if you don't drink enough water. I don't know if the science is really behind that or not. But it's certainly worth considering.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    Over the years I've gone to some ridiculous lengths to avoid eating fat. I've even boiled mince (ground beef) in water two or three times to get rid of as much fat as possible.

I've got a big fat beer belly
    Hi Sol, welcome to the primal life and way of eating. I hope you are beginning to feel better.

As you so neatly say, you gained your beer belly at the same time as avoiding fat. So obviously this is not the key to losing fat.

Following all the primal principles will help you do that and you are making a good start by choosing some of the most nutrient dense foods for your meals. Keep it up, and as you go along you will figure out what works best for you. You may find you can eat a larger meal, or add another meal, and include a little butter etc while still losing weight. Just be sure to keep avoiding all the processed products, oils like canola and soy, grains such as wheat, and legumes. Nourish your body with really good wholesome food and it will respond by becoming healthier and leaner as time goes on.

Best wishes.
    Last edited by Annieh; 06-17-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    You're gonna have trouble being successful by avoiding fat. You just will. You don't necessarily need to be scooping butter straight into your mouth (although I do sometimes), but you can't be afraid of it.

If it makes you feel better, I usually get 60% of my daily calories from fat (or more), and my abs are pretty nice.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    It's called a beer belly, and yet beer is 100% fat free. I'd suggest just diving into the rabbit hole, because fat-free foods will add fat to your body and fatty foods will help you lose weight and regain health. Fat is key to satiety, because you need it to function and your appetite knows it!

Paul Jaminet of the Perfect Health Diet had a post about how eating pork can cause liver damage, even in the absence of alcoholism. It might be worth a read if you're coming off of heavy drinking. Bacon seemed to be fine. Pork: Did Leviticus 11:7 Have It Right? - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

I'm thinking carefully about everything that everyone's saying.
    Thanks for the sound advice.
    Great place to be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast