Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo(ish) food journal - always seeking advice :) page

Emtropy is offline Senior Member

Paleo(ish) food journal - always seeking advice :)

I've seen other members keeping a journal of their food intake and experiences etc...it's a pretty good idea. Especially for a clueless fifteen-year-old girl (5'4", exact weight unknown - maybe 12-13 stone? Quite muscular, though.) looking to lose fat.

Please feel free to give me recipes, steer me in the right direction, (or tell me to up/cut back food intake)

Breakfast (7:30 am) 2 eggs scrambled in 17g of butter + 2 slices of back bacon.
    Lunch: (12:40 am) Beef and half-an-avocado salad. I can't be sure of how much beef, as my mum makes it, but I think it was OK.
    Dinner: (5:30 pm) Chicken (breast) curry with cauliflower rice. Again, not so sure of the amounts. Followed by berries + a nectarine in 3 teaspoons of Greek yoghurt.

Activity: None. Apart from 40 minutes of walking. Gym tomorrow.

At around 7:30, I started to feel irritable and light-headed, so I had 6 squares of Green and Black's 85% and a cup of coffee with a bit of semi-skimmed milk. (I know, but I'm only allowed cream once or twice per week.) I immediately felt better after that. Not sure if I was in need of the caffeine, or the calories. (also, it killed my sugar craving. Bloody advertisements are evil.)

I don't really vary my meals much. I always have the same breakfast (sometimes, I'm a little more adventurous with eggs) and lunch is always a bit of protein + lettuce + avocado. I need some ideas...

I heard that for good, sustainable weight-loss, a pound of meat per day + 2-4 eggs and plenty of veg is ideal. (optional: berries) hopefully that's the case, as I feel like I'm eating less than that?

I hope I'm not one of those women who have to cut carbs AND fat, and eat like 900 calories per day. I'm fifteen, so that shouldn't be the case. I hope my body'll be on my side for once.
    Last edited by Emtropy; 07-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, ebrady. Sounds like you are doing well.

Forty minutes of walking is great exercise.

Sugar is not great, of course, but when you have some, enjoy it and move on.

DO NOT CUT FAT OR CALORIES! Just cut carbs until you have lost the amount of fat you want to lose.

Good luck with Primal!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Thanks, Hedonist.

Today didn't go fantastically in terms of low-carb weight-loss: at least all the stuff I ate was paleo, though.

I awoke this morning at 4am with my mind racing but my body slothin'. I was too tired to get up and try to clear my mind, so L lay there while information raced through my head. I suppose it's my fault for reading about paleo/psychology/movie reviews until 12 at night. Kinda ironic how I was reading about how sleep is so important...at 12 at night.

This morning I had a slight headache, which went away when I downed some water. Breakfast was 2 eggs in 20g of butter and 2 slices of bacon.

I had no idea what my mood was doing this morning. From 8:40-10:00, I was in a depressive, catatonic state. Maybe that's what RE first thing does to you. Thank god it cleared - maybe it was because I was still half asleep. Definitely switching the laptop off earlier tonight.

Lunch wasn't great. My salmon was mushy and undercooked. Bleh. Didn't eat it. Doubt it would have filled me anyway - it was only around 3oz! Gutted, I threw it in the bin, and went to see what my school canteen had.

I suppose it was no surprise, really, but the lack of food choice was appalling. What they had was: Sandwiches, pasta pots, pizzas, pies, sausage rolls, mashed potato, rice, and curry. I felt awkward asking for the ingredients for the curry, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Turns out it contained wheat and vegetable oil. Ew. It looked nice, too.

So, lunch was a plate of instant rice that I didn't eat, and an orange. Exciting.

When confronted with the question "why don't you just get a sandwich?" I had to explain to my friends that i've got a mild gluten allergy (I missed out the part where I said "sandwiches make me want to stuff bread down my throat so fast I can't even taste it") which earned me the nickname "Gluten-Girl Emz."

Got home at around 4, and ate 2 hard-boiled eggs, 20g of cashew nuts and a medium-ish sized apple. Rode my fixie bike to the gym. Lost my gym card, and didn't feel very strong in the gym. My muscles are a bit achy from Sunday. Felt really angsty on the way home, and the headache returned - put that down to hunger.

Dinner was a 7oz steak (over-cooked - my poor mum can't get the balance right today ) with mashed turnip and carrot; some kale and some runner beans; followed by strawberries, raspberries and a nectarine with some Greek Yoghurt. Oh, and a coffee with some semi-skimmed milk.

So yeah, today's been a bit high-on-fruit for my liking. Tomorrow, I won't eat as much fruit, and hopefully I'll get more satiating meat. (I really need some good cuts and recipes)

Plus, my mum said I look a little thinner round the stomach, so maybe she'll let me have more meat without too much protest

Overview:
    Breakfast: 2 eggs in 20g of butter, 2 slices of back bacon
    Lunch: Orange, a few forkfuls of soggy, instant rice, 3 grapes
    Real Lunch: 2 hard-boiled eggs, 20g of unsalted cashew nuts, and an apple.
    Dinner: 7oz lean steak, mashed carrot + turnip, baby corn, kale, and green beans.
    Desert: About a cup of strawberries and raspberries with a nectarine and about 3-4 teaspoons of Greek yoghurt.

Activity:
    20 minutes of walking
    6 miles of cycling on a fixed-wheel bike.
    Gym: 2x10 7kg bicep curls
    2x10 15kg tricep dips
    3x10 23 kg bench press
    3x10 15k weighted squats

No soggy rice today!

Same breakfast as usual; just fried my eggs this time. They looked awful, yet they tasted sooo good. (admittedly, I do need to work on my cooking)

Lunch was beef and avocado salad. My mum didn't measure it out, but I've asked her to start, just so I know. It was very dry, and I found myself craving Greek Yoghurt all throughout the afternoon. Thankfully, that was cured when I got home and had a cup of coffee.

I had to go to the doctors for some weird skin rash, then I went to my school for a meeting about a trip to Belgium. I'm pretty excited - we're going into Bruges, looking at trenches, going to Flander's Field - yet anxious about the food choices. We were told the types of stuff we're going to have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And yep, you guessed it: mostly bread based. I was thinking about asking them to provide gluten-free meals, then I realised the gluten-free meals are things like gluten-free breads and gluten-free brownies. And many a potato/rice. So either way, I'm going to be eating junk for three days. I really hope it doesn't knock my progress (we're going in two weeks time) and that the gluten doesn't ruin my mood for the trip. (I feel sluggish and a little depressed with gluten overdose, and I get sore throats and stomachs)

My dinner was smoked cod loin, cooked in coconut oil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar; accompanied by mashed sweet potato, bok choy, and roasted courgettes. That was followed by berries, a small plum, and around 3-4 tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt. (around 50 grams)

I've had loads of coffee today. Well, three cups. It's a lot for me. But we've got really nice coffee. Pre-roasted from costa. And I might have 6-8 squares of G&B's 85% later. Mmmm....

Overview:
    B: 2 eggs fried in 2-3 teaspoons of butter + 2 slices of back bacon
    L: 4-5oz (?) of roasted beef with half an avocado, and some lettuce and radishes
    D: 7oz smoked cod loin in coconut oil with mashed sweet potato, courgettes, and bok choy.
    Dessert: 1/2 cup berries + 1 small plum + 3-4 tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt.
    Drinks: 3 cups of coffee with around 20ml semi-skimmed milk each time; loads of water.

Activity:
    Just walking. 30 minutes.

Edit: I did not have any chocolate.

Further edit: I was (and still am) extremely thirsty today, and my calves keep cramping. Hnnnnrgghhh.
    Last edited by Emtropy; 06-19-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Do the best you can in Belgium and enjoy the trip. :-)
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Thanks, Hedonist. I suppose there's no point in worrying; still, the thought of cereal/pain au chocolat for breakfast, and sandwiches and crisps for lunch makes me die a little inside. :P

B: 2 eggs in 20g of butter, 2 slices of back bacon.
    L: 5oz roast beef + 1/2 an avocado (small) + radishes and lettuce + drizzle of balsamic vingear. (which made the meal so much tastier!)
    D: 4-5oz(?) steak fried in coconut oil, with mashed sweet potato, bok choy, and sauteed leeks.
    Dessert: 1/2 cup berries + 1/2 kiwi fruit + 2 tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt.
    Drinks: 1 cup of coffee ("special coffee" as it was 6 for one bag) with 20ml semi-skimmed milk, loads of water.

Exercise: 10x15/20 second sprints, 30 minutes of walking. I felt quite good when I was sprinting; my strides are getting longer and I feel slightly more agile.

I have a chicken salad for dinner tomorrow, but my mum took the skin off it. "It was soggy and horrible!" I still woulda ate it; chicken's dry without skin, and roasted in water. C'est la vie.

Didn't have time to update this yesterday! 'Twas a busy day.

Yesterday

Yesterday I went into the city straight from school with my friends to get a 30 Seconds to Mars ticket. (woo!) They wanted to go to McDonalds after, but I went to Costa with my (skint) friend instead to get a take-out coffee. I dunno what it is with take-out coffees, but they almost never give you cream, even when you specify it. Pretty sure it was milk!

But I'm glad that I didn't have to go into McDonalds. I'm really starting to hate the atmosphere of that place. It's too...stressful. It's busy, noisy, and seems to attract the most impatient people. Maybe it's that particular one, I dunno. Of course, you can see the staff shovelling the food, and it looks awful now. If I were to have a "cheat meal" it wouldn't be there. It really doesn't appeal to me anymore.

The thing is: if I take even a single bite of a fry, I'll want a packet. McDonald's must have had evil scientists behind it - how could they create the perfect mixture of fat, salt, and carbs? Or they just experimented a hell of a lot. I dunno, I'm rambling...

When I got home, I had my dinner, then got changed and went to see my friend's band. I actually wore an unbuttoned plaid shirt and a white t-shirt! Not such a great revelation, but before I wouldn't wear a plain white t-shirt because I thought I was too big. Since I've lost a little bellyfat, I felt a little more comfortable. Even if I'm not exactly a flat stomached girl, I know I'm getting there. Plus: Why should I be ashamed of my body? I'm nourishing it, resting it. My friends are lovely, and they truly don't think I'm overweight (because I always wore hoodies; and I'm not, compared to loads of people) so I should wear whatever I want, really. i think paleo has helped me change my perception of myself: even if I'm not totally comfortable yet, at least it's not utter self loathing, like it was before.

B: 2eggs, 20g butter + 2 back bacon
    L: around 5oz of skinless (my mum took it off cos it was 'soggy') chicken breast + 1/2 small avocado + a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
    D: around 4-5oz of chilli with cauliflower rice
    Dessert: 1/2 cup of berries + 3 tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt
    Snacks: 17.5 (that sounds really anal, but I know because I split it in half with my friend) of Green & Black's Maya Gold chocolate.
    Drinks: Coffee and milk, water.

Today

Another busy day. I was meeting my friends in the city again (to see a free gig ) so I had to be out of the house by 10:30. i knew I wouldn't be back until about 4, so I had a larger breakfast, and skipped dinner. Well, I had a coffee with actual cream (!) at Starbucks. But that's it. I didn't eat for 8 hours. Don't get me wrong, I was hungry - but I didn't feel like I was going to collapse on the floor and die if I didn't get something quick. It was a hunger I could ignore if I really wanted to. (but I didn't, I had a snack of cashew nuts)

Speaking of coffee and cream: if I were to estimate, I'm sure 60% of the people who go to Starbucks don't actually drink coffee :P most people got milkshakes, like the "triple caramel frappucino". I had a taste of my friend's, and it was so sickly! But I guess it would be nice, for a treat, since it's half caramel, half whipped cream :P

I took some junk food today. When I was in town, I took free samples: Thornton's have mini chocolate smiles, and I took 3 or so of them; some smoothie place had free samples of strawberry milkshake ("organic, un-processed, and no added sugar!") that was like, 2 sips or so, so I took one of them. I avoided the free pretzels, though. And at the cinema, I ate 100g of G&B's 85% chocolate (so. good.) and a handful of my friend's moam pinballs. It's alright, I'm not gonna stress about it...I feel pretty good, and I'm not craving sugar at all. Plus, the movie was pretty funny - World War Z, the zombies are hilarious - so my trip was centred around my friends and the movie, not the snacks available. Sounds pretty sad, but in the past I used to go to the cinema because it's socially acceptable to eat tonnes of junk food. Oh, and I'm a huge fan of movies. 'Twas a perfect combination for me.

My mum has also said that I look like I've lost some weight round my stomach.

Overview:
    B: 3 eggs in 25g of butter + 2 back-bacon
    D: none
    D: about 3oz of some pre-made peri-peri chicken, with leeks, courgettes, and swede. I've asked my mum not to buy pre-made meat next time, because there are usually dodgy ingredients in the sauces.
    Dessert: 1/2 berries + 3 tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt.
    Snacks: (I'm not even gonna bother counting 2g of chocolate and a sip of smoothie) 40g cashew nuts (at around 4:00 - had dinner at 5:30) 100g 85% chocolate, handful of pinballs.
    Drinks: Coffee and cream, water.

I am stuck in my room, doing homework all day. The joys. (well, until 4pm)

We're eating out at a friend's house tonight. They're doing Mediterranean dishes. Hope I can find something gluten/soy/vegetable oil/healthywholegrain free, though I suspect I'll be able to. Hopefully. And I'll just skip dessert.

Of course, I shall be writing my experiences.

I proper exaggerate my gluten intolerance on here. It's extremely mild. But, of course: if it gives me a bloated stomach and a sore throat, and causes weight gain, then it's something I definitely don't want to eat all the time (birthday cake and waffles/pancakes on occasion excused) especially accidentally.

I am so full. I didn't stuff myself; but I kept snacking on chocolate while doing revision. Hope our hosts aren't too offended when I don't eat loads of their food. :P

FURTHER EDIT:
    Okay, I feel ashamed. I grossly underestimated our hosts. I assumed that, because they're vegetarian, they would have tonnes of wheat carbs and nothing else. It seemed to have slipped my mind that they're "good vegetarians" and by that I mean - full-fat cheese, yoghurt, milk, and cream; eggs; salmon; olive oil and avocados. So while there was no meat available, I actually had really satisfying, delicious food. Maybe I went a bit heavy on the carbs, but hey, clean carbs.

B: (10:00pm - I keep forgetting to write times) cup of berries + 5-6 teaspoons of Greek Yoghurt
    L: (2:15) 2 eggs fried in around 15 g of butter + 2 back bacon; Apple; Half a bar of G&B's 85%
    D: 3 goat's cheese, potato and mint cakes cooked in olive oil; avocado, pine nut and olive oil salad; some potato wedges roasted in olive oil; mango and rice salad.
    Dessert: big bowl of strawberries (and a drizzle of strawberry sauce? No idea: something sweet though) and raspberries with cream + 1/2 teaspoon of crumbled Green and Black's milk chocolate.
    Drinks: glass of fizzy red wine + water + 3 coffee's with around 50ml of whole milk in total.

I feel bad for thinking they'd have crap food available. It was a great evening. I'm so making that avocado and pine nut salad, but with shredded chicken/bacon. Mmmmm.
    Last edited by Emtropy; 06-23-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Just remember, ebrady, walking is good! The more the better! Your first post said you had no physical activity.....except walking 40 min......that's more physical activity than most people get in a day!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    Just remember, ebrady, walking is good! The more the better! Your first post said you had no physical activity.....except walking 40 min......that's more physical activity than most people get in a day!
    That's true, I suppose! Walking home from school always helps me get 20-30 minutes, even if I do nothing else for the rest of the day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast