Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo(ish) food journal - always seeking advice :) page 2

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My parents are getting rid of the coffee machine :'( I suppose we never used it much anyway. We normally have filter coffee instead.

I was in a ridiculously good mood this morning, even though we were at school. I felt full of energy, and quite strong. After lunch, however, the mood dropped a bit, as it always does 1 hour after lunch. I'm not sure what it is about salads - ultimately they're filling, but I never feel as satisfied as hot meat + veg. And Mark says his salad is his favourite meal of the day...

Today was gym day, so I came home and had some nuts and a coffee as a snack. I think next time, if I'm not that hungry, I'll just skip the nuts; I wasn't hungry as much as I wanted coffee/dark chocolate/something dark and rich. Will probably just go on a coffee next time.

I felt quite good at the gym! I've moved up a weight for bicep curls and squats, which was nice, and my journey there wasn't as draining or suicide inducing: I quite enjoyed it! And although I don't think I've gotten any smaller, I think there's definitely less pudge round my belly.

My mum is worried about me weighing out my food. She thinks I "shouldn't worry about it" and "I know, I'll keep an eye on it so you don't have to". I don't think it's obsessive, and I don't obsess over it: I just really want to know what I'm consuming. After all, if my health were up to her, I'd be on a low-fat, calorie-controlled diet (where I don't actually count calories, which is hilarious; I'm just supposed to "eat less" and "leave the table slightly hungry when you're trying to lose weight")

I don't mean to sound overly harsh. She's supportive of me and I really appreciate it. I just think by 15 you should be able to make your own choices regarding food and exercise.

Overview:
    Breakfast (7:30am): 2 eggs in 22g of butter (OK, now that does sound really obsessive...eh) and 2 large rashers of bacon
    Lunch (12:40am): 5.5 ounces of beef roasted in water (I NEED some recipes for roasted beef, seriously) 1/2 avocado, cabbage, a few radishes, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
    Pre-gym (4:15pm) 45g cashew nuts, coffee + around 20ml semi-skimmed milk
    Dinner: 7-8oz roasted chicken with skin, mashed cauliflower, sauteed spinach and leek, and some green beans
    Dessert: 1 1/2 berries, around 2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt

Drinks: 2 cups of coffee (so far) one with cream, one without; water

Exercise:
    30 minutes walking
    6 miles cycling
    Gym: 3x10 7kg bicep curls; 3x10 15kg tricep pulldowns; 3x10 15kg squats; 3x10 15kg shoulder press; 3x10 6kg chest curls. Couldn't get on the bench press: gym was heavin' tonight.
    Last edited by Emtropy; 06-24-2013 at 11:44 AM.

My muscles are aching something canny. I could barely raise my hand in class today.

Definitely going to bed earlier tonight. Unbelievably tired, yet I can't relax because I need to revise. I can only definitely remember one topic from this unit, and it's "saturated an unsaturated fats" of course. "plant oils are healthier because they're made from plants and have no saturates" "pick margarine over butter; sunflower oil over lard" this is basically propaganda. They're brainwashing the youth!

I had smoked cod for tea tonight. Although it was quite a decent portion, I was left somewhat unsatisfied. Thank god for the carrots and turnip butter mash. Cod's a little too lean, no?

Overview:
    B: (7:30) 2 eggs in 20g butter, 2 back-bacon rashers
    L (12:50) same as yesterday: around 4-5oz of beef, with 1/2 avocado, cabbage, radishes, and a little bit of apricot, drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
    D: 6oz smoked (god knows what was in the smoked skin - hopefully nowt dodgy) cod; carrot, turnip, and butter mash; green beans
    Dessert: cup of berries and a little bit of kiwi fruit with 2 tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt. 8 squares of G&B's 85%
    Drinks: water, 2 coffee with 20-30 ml of cream.

Exercise: just walking. 30 minutes.

Edit:

goddamn I ate the full bar of chocolate. hmm. Slight stomach ache...but I actually feel better in myself? I don't feel sick...just overly full. Bleh. I only really eat the full bar on the weekend for a treat. I wasn't craving sugar, because we have all sorts of shite in the house. And it wasn't a binge, because I have 3 other bars lying around, and, like I said, many biscuits/sugary snacks. I just really wanted dark chocolate. Hm. I'm usually good with self-control with dark chocolate, too...
    Last edited by Emtropy; 06-25-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    Just remember, ebrady, walking is good! The more the better! Your first post said you had no physical activity.....except walking 40 min......that's more physical activity than most people get in a day!
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Was starving when I came home from school today. So hungry that, I planned on going for a run, but I didn't, because even after an apple and some nuts I was still hungry and felt weak. The feeling went away after I gave the food time to settle, and had a coffee with cream. It may have been the need for caffeine, too, but I honestly did feel like I could've ate around 10 fried eggs. (thank god my cravings were for beef, eggs, and chicken, and not waffles)

Breakfast (7:30am): 2 eggs fried in 20g of butter, 2 back-bacon
    Lunch: (12:40): around 4-5oz of skinless chicken (maybe that's why) 1/4 of an avocado, cabbage, radishes, and balsamic vinegar.
    Hangry @ 4:30: 55g of cashew nuts, large apple, coffee and cream
    Dinner: (5:45) 5-6oz steak; mashed turnip, carrots, and a bit of butter; sauteed spinach and leeks.
    Dessert: cup of berries, few slices of apricot, 2 tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt
    Revision snack: 1 square Lindt 90%, coffee with semi-skimmed milk.

Exercise: 40 minutes walking. Plan on going to the gym tomorrow.

Another gym day. Minus the bike: my mum gave me a lift cos it was raining :P

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in 20g of butter (THE BEST DAMN EGGS I'VE EVER MADE) and 4 rashers of bacon (basically like 2 slices of back-bacon but more fatty)
    Lunch: 3-4oz(?) salmon fillet + 1/2 avocado + lettuce leaves + nectarine
    After school snack because hungry: 50g walnuts, coffee with 60 ml of cream.
    Dinner: 3 gluten-free sausages + huge pile of jale + sauteed leeks + courgettes cooked in coconut oil.
    Dessert: 1 cup of berries with 5-6 teaspoons of Greek yoghurt and 9 squares of Green and Black's 85% chocolate.

Exercise:
    30 minutes walking
    3x10 6kg (the 7s magically disappeared?) bicep curls; 3x10 kg tricep-pulldowns; 3x26kg deltoid cable pulls; 2x10 30kg bench-press (a little heavy for me) and 3x10 75kg leg press.

Bleh. I felt OK today until just after lunch, when I felt low on energy, tired, and I think hungry. Fast forward to now, and after eating the whole house, I feel a little better. I still turned down the offer of going out tonight, because I felt rotten. My mum thinks i'm anti-social for this reason, when really I am quite social, just lacking energy! Ugh. I need bigger meals.

The signs of me growing are: sore throat, ear ache, tired, and just feeling generally under-the-weather. And I had all of these things. I hope that can justify me eating as much as I did.

Breakfast: (7:30 am) 2 eggs fried in 20g of butter, 4 mini rashers of bacon
    Lunch: (12:00) 4oz salmon fillet (apparently my mum can't find bigger ones) 1/2 avocado + nectarine
    Snack (2:30 - early finish today) 3 squares of Lindt 90%
    Dinner: (5:00) cauliflower rice and chicken breast curry (around 4oz?)
    Dessert: cup of berries and 4 teaspoons of greek yoghurt
    Where I demolish the house: third of a bar of Green & Black's 85%, 1 square Lindt 90%, teaspoon of cream cheese, handful or two of flaked almonds, large apple, a boiled egg.

So, I ate a lot. On the plus side, I feel a lot better.

I'm quite worried now that my mum will turn around and say eating like this is too expensive, and we'll go back to low-fat whole-grain. *shudders* if that were to happen, I would hunt down an employer. Will do hard manual labour for steak.

Hmmm...

Breakfast (12:00) 3 eggs in 25g of butter + 4 mini rashers of bacon.
    Snack (3:30) 1/2 square Lindt 90%
    Dinner (6:00) 2 lamb chops + portion of veggies with a small amount of grated cheese. The lamb was delicious, but there wasn't a lot of meat. I'd have to estimate 4-5oz in total, maybe even less.
    Dessert: cup of berries with 3 tablespoons of Greek yoghurt
    Snacks: (8:00) 1 apple, handful of grapes and berries, 3 tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt; 2/3 of a 85% bar, 50g cashew nuts; 1/2 bar of galaxy ripples (yeah ik)

Exercise:
    30 minute walk with a few sprints added in.

I was quite clearly still hungry after dinner....but at least i didn't eat most of the other snacks available, (my friend came over to watch movies) such as: pringles, donuts, cake, and bon-bons. And do you know how good pringles smell?! Very good!

So it goes.

Today....I had an ice cream. Dun dun dun! ...and it wasn't even that good. Next time, I'm getting Haagen Dazs (which I would've got, but I couldn't find any small tubs)

My friends and I went to the cinema in town today. Which is where I ate dark chocolate, ice cream, and popcorn. All of these would be reasonably paleo. Too bad the Powers that Be changed the popcorn popping oil from coconut oil to sunflower oil. I mean, really?!

Breakfast (11:40) 3 eggs in 15g butter + 4 small strips of bacon in 5g coconut oil
    Cinema snack (1:30) 4oz dark chocolate + about the equivalent of a small sweet popcorn
    Further snacks (3:00) 1 medium Starbuck's Americano with cream + 2 scoop chocolate and vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate sauce. Y'know what? It would have benefited from being a little less sweet and a little more creamy. Damn most shops for not having Haagen-Dazs.
    Oh, and a square of milk chocolate from my friend. Lindt: the good stuff.
    Dinner: 5oz chicken + mashed carrots and turnip + sauteed leeks and kale.
    Dessert: 1 cup berries, 4 tbsp greek yoghurt.

Just walked around town today. So not much activity.

Sunflower oil is the devil in oil form.

Seriously. why the fuck is sunflower oil in pre-made green beans with mint butter? The name implies BUTTER. Yes, there was some butter there. But it was mostly sunflower oil! So really, they should rename it "green beans with mint sunflower oil" though I don't suppose that sounds as appetising.

I'm disappointed in you, Marks and Spencer's.

I have asked my mum to stop buying ready made vegetables with fancy sauces, but I don't think she will because she likes the taste (it was OK) and it's convenient for when she's working late. I did offer to make the dinner, but for some reason she won't allow it.

Anyway, despite that...

Really happy that it's almost the Summer. I only have three more days of actual schooling - I go to Belgium on Friday. (Where I'll be ingesting more seed-oils...but that's not the point of the trip.) then I have work experience in a cycling cafe, then finally, the Summer holidays. Life is good. (most of the time)

B: 2 eggs in 20g butter, 2 back-bacon in a teaspoon of coconut oil. I dunno what it is with most bacon, but it's so lean that it doesn't dry-fry. Coconut oil is actually great for cooking bacon.
    L: 5oz shredded chicken + 1/2 avocado + green beans and radishes + balsamic vinegar.
    Snack: 40g cashew nuts, plum
    D: 5-6oz smoked cod (no idea what with) with green beans (SUNFLOWER!) and courgettes (with heart-healthy coconut oil!)
    Dessert: 1 1/2 cup of berries + 3 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
    And like 1/2 bar G&B's 85%.

Exercise:
    7 miles cycling
    30 minutes walking
    3x10 15kg shoulder press

My mum thinks I need to cut down on my fat intake. By that she means butter and coconut oil, which I use once per day, and only enough to grease the pan.

I definitely need to get her to read some primal books. I don't think we're on the same wavelength, even though she does buy this food for me.

B: 2eggs in 15g of butter + 2 slices of back-bacon in a teaspoon of coconut oil
    L: Garlic (premade...unknown source) prawns + 1/2 avocado
    Snack: was really craving sugar and wheat and fat all day today. So I came home and had half a mango, and 8 squares of G&B's 85% with a coffee.
    D: 1 1/2 pork chop with mashed sweet potato + kale
    Dessert: bowl of fruit + 2 tablespoons greek yoghurt
    Another snack: an apple.

Idk whether I need to cut down on fruit or what, or cut down on carbs and fat. I dunno. Paleo should be simple, but it's hard to "eat what you feel like" when you live in your parent's house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast