Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here steams veggies? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Who here steams veggies?

Primal Fuel
    I'm thinking about starting to steam veggies, fish, etc. because it seems like when I bake them or saute them in fat they absorb so much and it requires a lot of fat to cook them to begin with. I feel like I'd rather add the fat at the end, so I can measure it out since my weightloss has stalled. Does this make sense? Thanks!

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Yes ,
    Steaming veggies is number 1 for me! Preferred choice never really steamed fish or poultry before

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I simply like steamed veggies and soups, so we often have it that way. I do roast veggies as well. Sometimes I do add drippings after steaming. But normally, we are happy with steamed. To be honest, the fattier the cut of meat is, the more reluctant I am to add fat to the side.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I steam veggies every single day. It's the easiest way to cook them. However, some veggies don't come out very well steamed so those I will stir-fry instead.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mikee5 is online now Senior Member
    I hate my vegetables drenched in fat, I just like 'em salty. I always steam my vegetables I have in a meal; asparagus, broccoli, green beans, peas, everything. Sometimes I like them raw, but never cooked in butter or oil. That's for the meat.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    We usually steam vegetables like broccoli. And boil potatoes/rice. Adding butter and salt at the table is fine.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I steam broccoli, cabbage and potatoes mostly then just add some ghee to them. Grilled mushrooms, zucchini and summer squash are really good and easy to make, too. You only brush them with a little bit of fat.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have a pot that a couple of steamer racks stack in. I have a little spaghetti pot with a drop-in rack. I have a larger spaghetti pot that has a deeper rack as well as a shallow one. And a bunch of different steaming racks that can be set into any pan. I also have a chinese restaurant steamer that I could probably steam 2 turkeys and 12 chickens in at the same time. (I got carried away on that purchase.)

I steam potatoes, sweet potatoes, any green vegetables, carrots, parsnips, winter squash, cabbage, garlic... Just about any vegetable.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Yep, we steam for the most part.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I have a pot that a couple of steamer racks stack in. I have a little spaghetti pot with a drop-in rack. I have a larger spaghetti pot that has a deeper rack as well as a shallow one. And a bunch of different steaming racks that can be set into any pan. I also have a chinese restaurant steamer that I could probably steam 2 turkeys and 12 chickens in at the same time. (I got carried away on that purchase.)

I steam potatoes, sweet potatoes, any green vegetables, carrots, parsnips, winter squash, cabbage, garlic... Just about any vegetable.
    Ummm, yeah, I am jealous of the restaurant steamer!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast