Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: ready to give up weekday drinking? page 8

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
    I've managed to kick the weekday drinking into touch for around 10 weeks now,...although I'm not sure if we're counting Friday . I used to be a heavy drinker, like 1 bottle per night every night and 1 1/2 at weekends - I felt terrible.

Making it harder so, is my wife is exactly the same, and hasn't stopped, so I typically watch her consume between 1/2 to 1 bottle of wine every evening. Fairly heartbreaking knowing how good I feel without it. Our drinking was to heal pain, which I won't go into, but I'm so pleased to now have control over 'it', rather than 'it' having control over me.

You all seem to be doing very well in here. Acknowledging it's too much is half the battle.
    I'm going through the same thing. I stopped about 21 months ago but husband didn't. He got worse for awhile and now goes up and down. It is hard watching and also hard to have fun with one drunk and one sober. I didn't realize how not funny I was drinking until I had to watch someone else (who is drinking) make jokes while I am sober trying to find the punch line. I think part of it is me too--I am more "flat" than I was when drinking. Anybody else noticed that?

BigTim is offline Junior Member
    Hey @missblue. Not sure about the flat thing, with me it was quite the opposite. I was drinking to numb emotional pain/trauma which put me into a vicious circle of self loathing. I couldn't have been any more flat than I was then.

I find that now, the charisma has come back with the confidence and absence of self loathing. Not that I'm a nutter that bounces around everywhere here and there, just unfalteringly sanguine. It's a good place to be

BigTim is offline Junior Member
    Currently on a train from London to my home town up-north in 1st and turning down free wine. It's the 3rd time the trolley has gone past...I'm going to have a seizure though

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFreedom View Post
    MONDAY MORNING!!!

Forget the weekend! Start fresh and dry out folks!

Let's get primal!!!!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I kinda hate to use the phrase back on the wagon but... Here we go week!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

bhanes is offline Member
    ok, I'm in.....been trolling this thread from the beginning. I've been trying to cut down for months with no success, I don't drink beer except on weekends working in the yard, but oh boy do I love my Scotch..... Been a daily drinker for many years, when I finally took control over my eating/health PB. I just can't understand why I still let this one thing continue to rule me, expecially since it makes me feel like crap every morning. So you folks have motivated me to get this done!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Weekend proved that my alcohol tolerance is trashed since I haven't been workout out my liver muscle.

And I'm throwing a 3-day bachelor's party in New Orleans at the end of July. This. could. be. very. bad.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Weekend proved that my alcohol tolerance is trashed since I haven't been workout out my liver muscle.

And I'm throwing a 3-day bachelor's party in New Orleans at the end of July. This. could. be. very. bad.
    Can there be a bachelor's party without barfing?
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Can there be a bachelor's party without barfing?
    I don't really mind painting the town brownish-purple with the technicolor contents of my upper digestive tract.

I mind not being able to get up and do it again the next day.

This weekend, I had 2 drinks Saturday night and woke up with a moderate-severe headache Sunday morning that didn't go away completely for hours. I can't imagine what several shots on top of fancy Sazeracs and Hurricanes is going to do to me. Being a pooper of the party is not an option.

Planning on lots of nutritional support in the form of B-1, activated charcoal, Acetyl L-Cysteine, vitamin C, vitamin I, and Milk Thistle. Of course drinking as much water as I can bring myself to during and after the actual activities. Anybody got any other tricks or tips?

Incindiary is offline Member
    I lurked all last week, but I'm in as well. I've been in a rut for a long time. I come from work, get settled, and pour myself a cocktail (or two or three). It's always been my little *reward* for surviving the day. I'm now looking forward to a few lost pounds and a clearer head in the morning as my reward for getting through the previous day.

My strategy during the week is to just avoid the liquor store. Seriously, if it's in the house, I will drink it. With that said, if I want to have a drink at a bar occasionally during the week for a special reason, I will do it without guilt. I can't see it happening more than once a month. One or two drinks at a bar or restaurant aren't going to get me drunk, or derail me.

Rich - What I find works for me is water during and after, and some ibuprofen right before bed. I also feel better if I eat something at the end of the night. It doesn't have to be a big greasy breakfast; a street taco works for me. Also, I try to avoid the sugary drinks if at all possible. I could probably do one hurricane, but then I would have to move onto something else. Whiskey and soda maybe. Sugar combined with alcohol is guaranteed to give me a hellacious hangover the next day.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Rich, another trick that I had to do was just pretend to drink.

I was the host of a bachelorette party once in San Francisco where allllll the cool
    clubs are, but had partied the night before that and felt like absolute shit and just
    could.not.drink.

So what I did, if I could, was get a diet coke on the rocks in a "real glass" and ask the
    bartender to put a lime on the side so it looked like a rum and coke.

If someone INSISTED on BUYING me a drink, I'd get a vodka on the rocks and do the
    same thing, then go in the bathroom, pour it down the toilet but save the ice. Then
    fill the glass up with water from the sink and PRETEND to drink it back out at the bar
    or dance floor.

At least with you being a dude, no one is going to ask for a sip of your drink "to taste it"
    like chicks seem to like to do."Oh can I try a sip of that to see if I want one?" Really?

Whatever.

Besides pretending, the only other trick I can tell you is to just drink a fuckton of water throughout
    the day before you go out.

I once drank about 96 ounces of water during the day, partied that night without even EATING anything
    ALL DAY LONG, and the next day? It was like I hadn't partied at all.

I really don't know what the stipulations are for me feeling like shit the next day. It's so confusing... but
    that water thing worked... and of course, not mixing alcohols.

What is the rhyme? Liquor to beer, never fear: beer to liquor never sicker?

Good luck , man.

I feel your pain.

I can't believe that I actually made it through the weekend without caving... and I "really deserved" it
    too, because I've been gutting my entire house, garage and shed of stupid shit that's just taking up
    space and HAS BEEN for EIGHT YEARS. I could fill a 10 yard dumpster with it all. This makes mother
    want to PARTY, but I won't. I did have a nice skunky non-alcoholic beer on Friday. It was tasty.

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast