Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: ready to give up weekday drinking? page 5

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The thing with having a glass of wine or three is kind of what I read from some guy who gave up coffee. He said he realized that his morning cup was his way of trying to eek out a little window of pleasure in his otherwise dreary work day, to try and extend the amount of his day he felt belonged to him instead of to someone else.

For me the wine is a way to spread out the length of the window in which I enjoy dinner. A glass before dinner, a glass during and a glass after equals about 2 hours of dinner. If I don't have the 3 glasses of wine, I'll usually do this with a piece of cheese before dinner and a piece of chocolate after. So by not doing the wine, the cheese or the chocolate (all three of which I am attempting to reduce or eliminate), I find that I wander around in the evening feeling twitchy and lost, like I want to do something but I don't know what. I should vacuum maybe.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I'm in. Should be a snap! I'm kind of cheating though as I haven't craved beer in weeks.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The thing with having a glass of wine or three is kind of what I read from some guy who gave up coffee. He said he realized that his morning cup was his way of trying to eek out a little window of pleasure in his otherwise dreary work day, to try and extend the amount of his day he felt belonged to him instead of to someone else.

For me the wine is a way to spread out the length of the window in which I enjoy dinner. A glass before dinner, a glass during and a glass after equals about 2 hours of dinner. If I don't have the 3 glasses of wine, I'll usually do this with a piece of cheese before dinner and a piece of chocolate after. So by not doing the wine, the cheese or the chocolate (all three of which I am attempting to reduce or eliminate), I find that I wander around in the evening feeling twitchy and lost, like I want to do something but I don't know what. I should vacuum maybe.
    This is really interesting. I think maybe I've been sort of doing the same thing only I didn't think about why. Nonetheless I made it through this week since we started but I am sure looking forward to some wine tonight. Yay Friday!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    He said he realized that his morning cup was his way of trying to eek out a little window of pleasure in his otherwise dreary work day, to try and extend the amount of his day he felt belonged to him instead of to someone else.
    I know this is off topic, and I apologize, but I have recently come to this realization as well. I find the above statement very profound. I spend more than half of my waking life fulfilling obligations, not enjoying myself. I am going to try to cut THAT out. It would likely have a positive effect on my overall health.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

yourdebness is offline Junior Member
    +1

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Am I late to this teetotaler party?

Eff it, I'm in!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member

5 years ago when I quit drinking for a year, I found that having a non-alcoholic beer in a wine glass really
    helped the craving for alcohol, and the routine of having a drink in my hand.

It certainly didn't taste like wine, but I like beer too, so it worked.

It was so nice FEELING and TASTING that I was drinking alcohol, but wouldn't get buzzed or
    feel anything whatsoever. It was great!!

It got to the point where even after a couple of sips I was like "meh, that's enough of that" until
    I didn't have to use my "trick" anymore.

I would never classify myself as an alcoholic, but at that point, before I quit for a year, I WAS
    drinking every night out of habit, not necessity, but because "that's just what we did".

I could never do "just one glass" of anything. It was all or nothing. So I commend those that
    can have one and be done with it!

If I do just one, it just makes me tired and I'm in bed by 6:30. HAR!

Anyway, just typing all that out cuz if my trick can help someone else, good!

Julia

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    ...I read from some guy who gave up coffee. He said he realized that his morning cup was his way of trying to eek out a little window of pleasure in his otherwise dreary work day, to try and extend the amount of his day he felt belonged to him instead of to someone else.

For me the wine is a way to spread out the length of the window in which I enjoy dinner. I find that I wander around in the evening feeling twitchy and lost, like I want to do something but I don't know what. I should vacuum maybe.
    Bingo - agreed. It feels like the day is being bookended with some version of "me time".

Can't stand to vacuum tho'! Maybe take a walk, scrub the tub?

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    For me wine complements the food and adds a finishing touch to the flavor, it also extends the meal, I love lingering at the table and finishing my wine. Without a glass of wine the meal feels more utilitarian. I used to really love having a glass of port after dinner, I'd rather have that than dessert. I'm kind of hoping after I get my autoimmune condition under control I can go back to having an occasional glass of wine, the thought of never having wine with dinner again is just too depressing. It just doesn't seem fair I never even abused alcohol!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I agree with this totally. I love getting coffee on my way to work just because it's something I enjoy about going to work. I hate my job and every aspect of it so that coffee is definitely a highlight. Same thing with wine in the evenings, especailly when my MIL is staying with us because she makes me so uncomfortable.

That said, I'm in. Actually, I am giving up alcohol compltely for 28 days (started on Monday). It's part of the Fast Metabolism Diet that I'm trying and also probably just a good thing to do. The sad thing is it means I also don't get my coffee for 28 days, either.

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast