Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: ready to give up weekday drinking? page 11

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't want to stir up anything really but do some of you think maybe you might benefit from face-to-face AA meetings?

Personally, I'm just giving up wine for the calories. And along with it, cheese, chocolate and nuts. I think I might be seeing some good results after almost 3 weeks. The hardest thing to come to terms with is trying to convince myself I am not hungry. Maybe I need some face-to-face OA meetings.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't want to stir up anything really but do some of you think maybe you might benefit from face-to-face AA meetings?

Personally, I'm just giving up wine for the calories. And along with it, cheese, chocolate and nuts. I think I might be seeing some good results after almost 3 weeks. The hardest thing to come to terms with is trying to convince myself I am not hungry. Maybe I need some face-to-face OA meetings.
    If you have an eating disorder, it's not compulsive overeating dude.

I'm back off the wagon, as my nutritional adviser has recommended I have 1-2 drinks per day from now thru the bachelor party. 2 ciders last night.

Zen11 is offline Member
    Mixed success for me so far... I drank this past Monday evening because I had a book club meeting and there was food and wine and, well, I just couldn't deny myself. On the other hand, I managed to keep a tight control on my drinking over the weekend. Yes, I did have a couple cocktails each night, but I spent the entire weekend with my parents and extended family celebrating birthdays and anniversaries, and managed to stay sober (I think I was the only adult who could say that) so I felt downright virtuous. The last time I spent a weekend with my parents I was in bed sick for half of Saturday. My parents are such baaaad influences

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Bhanes - what you wrote about not craving the booze after eating - I'm the same way.

Usually at night, at 5 or whatever, I would rather have my drinky winkies then than eat,
    but if I DO manage to eat first, the craving for cocktails is completely gone.

Back in my 20's I would just drink INSTEAD of eat. It was when I met my husband at 26
    that we got into the habit of going out to dinner every.single.night, drinking a bottle
    of wine and THEN eating dinner at a restaurant... and of course having a bottle WITH
    dinner as well.

I was never a drinker then an eater. It was either or.

Waking up in the morning feeling THIS GOOD is fantastic, the only bummer is that I DO
    feel so good, it sparks the "I feel great! Let's party!" mentality. HA!

It's a vicious circle, but I have not succumbed.

Time to put more N/A beer in the fridge. It *really* does help during the hard moments.

Julia

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

It's crossed my mind. I don't know the answer. For right now this is working and seems easy enough. I'm not sure if I need to give it up all together or not. I have some other kinds of liquor in my house that I had there for other guests and if I'm out of wine I don't drink it. Maybe I'm rationalizing that if I was an alcoholic that I would drink anything that's there just to get drunk? But I don't...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Incindiary is offline Member
    I haven't had any booze since Sunday when I killed off the bottle of Beam. And, really, it was only about 4 ounces which I drank over probably three or more hours. I have had some cravings, but I bought some locally made bacon ice cream Monday night and it's going a long way towards satisfying my "I deserve this!" mindset.

Tomorrow night I WILL imbibe, but that's because my friend wants to take me out for a belated birthday drink. I don't see it being a problem.

As for enabling spouses, my husband is horrible. If there is booze in the house, he will have a cocktail waiting for me on the counter when I get home from work. He's also been known to bring me Screwdrivers or Bloody Marys on weekend mornings totally unasked for. And, once its made, I can't possibly let that expensive liquor go to waste so I drink it.

The thing is though, he's not much of a drinker himself. One Beam and Coke, or one glass of wine, and he's done. He says he wants to save the rest for me. Sounds sweet, but it's starting to seem insidious.

bhanes is offline Member
    Julia, so totally it, if I have a cocktail first no desire to eat, and other way around. Whole reason for the experience it to get to the healthy nutrition and get rid for the extra empty calories of the drinks. Really don't think I'm a canidate for AA. Just thought this tread would be a great place for like minds and conversations, not so much judgement from others.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhanes View Post
    Just thought this thread would be a great place for like minds and conversations, not so much judgement from others.
    ^Amen.

Bhanes, wow, it's good that we don't live near each other... we could be 24/7 partying fools! HA!

Whoa! Incindiary! Your husband is worse than mine! I didn't even think that was POSSIBLE. Holy crap!

My husband, this time around, hasn't said jack shit to me about booze.

He absolutely knows 100% how sick I was 14 long days ago that he hasn't pulled any
    of his usual shenanigans.

Maybe cuz he had to take care of the kids for two full days. HAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Julia

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

I'm back off the wagon, as my nutritional adviser has recommended I have 1-2 drinks per day from now thru the bachelor party. 2 ciders last night.
    My "nutritional advisor" recommended I try white wine because the last time I had extreme allergies it was from red wine. I like experimenting and the advice came at an opportune time (I was making a French fish stew) so I decided to give it a try and whaddaya know.... NO ALLERGIC REACTION!!!!!!

Since I was only trying to avoid allergies and I only have 1 -2 glasses of wine 1-3 days a week I'm going to stay off the wagon.
    For me drinking wine doesn't lead to eating unwanted food indulgences in fact I think I'm better having my occasional therapeutic glass of wine.

Au revoir et bonne chance!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

bhanes is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Julia so right on the party buddies.....Incindiary my DH was the same way when we first got married 2 years ago, I'd pull up in the garage after work and he would be there waiting for me with a cocktail in hand, but now the honeymoon is over and I have to go fix my own. LOL!!

Julia probably right your hubby doesn't want to see you sick again....kids or not.

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast