Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Absolute cheapest ways to eat primal? page 2

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckleyFan1043 View Post
    regular protein (steak, chicken breast, or piece of fish)
    I go for the chicken legs over chicken breast. Way cheaper per lb, at least in the stores down here. Rice, potatoes also a good, cheap and filling source if you're not going low carb.

Shieldmaid is offline Junior Member
    I second what everyone else has said. You can also start rendering your own lard or tallow. Pasture raised suet and fatback can usually be had for dirt cheap. Then you can make chicharrones AND get a lot of good fat.
    Living ancestrally with physical disabilities - Shieldmaid.com

miniGrokette is offline Member
    I too am unbelievably poor and in college. I've been living off $50 starting my third week with 14 days left to go. I do have a free source of eggs, which has been wonderful! I also bought a whole bag of red potatoes and can't believe how eating one or two can satiate me for quite awhile. I bought on sale meats like chicken thighs and ground beef and have been getting insanely cheap veggies from Trader Joe's or the farmers market. Since being in this pinch I've actually gone a few whole days (not in a row) without eating meat, which never happened before. I've been upping my veggie intake quite a bit. I've also been on a cottage cheese kick. I've been preparing less meals and making a serving of veggies or eggs or a whole avocado at random, whenever I get hungry. I don't know how much this has helped, but I've been doing it and it hasn't been so bad.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Cheapest way to eat primal:

1. Cancel TV. Should be the first thing you cut.
    2. Cancel any subscriptions to news paper or magazines. Its all on the internet anyhow.
    3. Get rid of internet. Its free at the library and most parts of any town anyhow.
    4. Walk or bike rather than driving. If you can get rid of car completely you can save on gas AND insurance even if you owned the thing.
    5. Get a roommate.
    6. Learn to hunt, fish, and forage for food.
    7. Take all saved money and buy only the best food.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    ^This'll do it.

Today I bought:
    4lbs of chicken breast (holy crap that's 1 pound per half breast!)
    3lbs of sole
    2lbs of steak
    Broccoli, limes, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, yams and onions

Only $40.

It's not the only food I'm going to eat this week, but it's a lot of it. And some of that meat is going to last until next week.

I live in one of the most expensive towns in the united states. Half my take-home pay goes toward rent and I get a deal because I sleep with the landlord. I don't think it's terribly expensive to eat paleo. None of this was organic or grass-fed, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Whether pastured or CAFO, try things like liver, tongue, heart, etc. Liver and heart will invariably be less expensive than the muscle meat. Tongue may be hard to find locally.

Also, what everyone else said.

Re: farmer's markets. If you go later in the day, and you have a bit of chutzpah, you can sometimes get even better deals because the vendors really don't want to load stuff back into the their vehicles.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Well, I am for SURE not the most "pure" primal disciple, but I would make a good run for being the most frugal. Here are some of my hacks.

1) Hunting of all kinds is a HUGE money-saver, not to mention good for you in body and soul. A single deer can feed you for months, not to mention larger game if you are lucky enough to get a moose license. Also, smaller game (much more abundant and easier to catch, larger limits) can really stock up your freezer. Rabbit is my favorite.
    2) Fishing and foraging can give much more than people realize. I fish only about once a month, but a few weeks ago caught my daily limit of 20 crappie along with 5 walleye....the 2 previous I caught almost nothing. Same goes for mushrooms. I would recommend learning how, but once you get your spots down its constant free food.
    3) Above all of this, it is a GREAT investment to get a deep freeze or two. Regardless of whether you are putting in store-bought meat or wild game, the ability to store a cheap sale price item (or my daily fish limit!) is huge. I would look on Clist or classifieds for estate sales. Often a deep freeze can be bought very cheap that way. I bought 3 a few years ago for $100 this way.
    4) Grow stuff. The most efficient are tomatoes and spinach, IMO. Even with little space (a patio) can produce a ton of tomatoes with some work.
    5) Go to an actual butcher shop and ask for large portions of whole animals. A great deal for a whole pork shoulder, lamb shank, etc, can be had this way. This doesn't apply to a normal grocery store, but if you go to the middleman you can get awesome deals in bulk, especially if they have over-ordered. Put your overstock buys into your deep freeze.
    6) Buy fish at their shoreline entry points. I go to Burlington VT during salmon season, or to Boston fish market (a world wonder, in my opinion) and get jaw-dropping deals if you time it right. Best time is early Saturday when they are trying to at least deplete some stock to start the day, or to go on the first day of the fishing season for your selected fish. This way you can even buy from some of the charters and non-commercial fishermen at below market price.
    7) Buy raw milk from grass-fed operators directly from the farm. (As in physically show up on a tour day or open house) Many times they do not want near what a boutique store wants for grass-fed milk, and will really bargain with you if you arrange up front payment of many months worth of purchases. Offer to pick it up yourself if it will push the price down. The price is likely really good if you get raw milk from non-Holstein farms. These farmers are used to only profiting off of the selling to cheesemakers or specialty shops, so the prospect of selling straight-up milk (from a guy that shows up in his truck twice a month) is a good move for them....then take the raw milk and make your OWN butter and cottage cheese (by far the easiest to make), then keep the rest for milk in dishes.

Hope this helps....It's difficult without knowing location and living situation (country vs city), but these are my hacks.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I go for the chicken legs over chicken breast. Way cheaper per lb, at least in the stores down here. Rice, potatoes also a good, cheap and filling source if you're not going low carb.
    Only issue is most chicken is not found in a non-CAFO form in the U.S. or Europe unless you get from a farmer or farmer's market. So the fat in them is usually of abysmal quality. As a result I would opt for the leanest CAFO cuts and simply add lots of good fats like Kerrygold (buy in bulk at Costco) or coconut oil (again Costco). Maybe try coconut milk-based marinades. If you go this route the meats (chicken breast and pork chops, etc.) are really lean so even CAFO meats are not a huge concern. Then you can buy those lean cuts in bulk at Costco and the like as well.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You can live plenty healthfully on regular grocery story meat and produce. It is not ideal, but the quality of your health will not suffer, at least not in any equivalence with your ability to save for retirement.

I keep thinking I'd like to learn how to surf fish. We don't have an inexpensive source of local seafood. I don't think I've ever seen anyone at the beach actually catch anything, however. A one-day survey of people on the pier resulted in 0 people who admitted to ever having caught anything.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12