Thread: Best if used by . . . page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Best if used by . . .

Primal Fuel
    This may be a "duh" sort of question but I'd really like to know. On April 27. this year. I bought a jar of Great Value (Walmart) pizza sauce. Opened it a few weeks later and used part of the jar. Its been in the refrigerator since. The lid says "Best By 12.28.14, it still smells fine. Can I assume that this means "for the best tasting quality" or "its been opened (vacuumed sealed with button on lid) so the Use by date is no longer valid". My question seems silly since I'm asking about a quarter of a jar of pizza sauce, but I'm trying to make better use of the food money and I've committed to eating up anything I create or open, as long as it's safe to eat. I'm appalled at the amount of food I've wasted in the past.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I believe that's the "pull date" - the date the grocer has to pull it from the shelf. If you buy something on its pull date, it should last in your fridge for about seven days. It also relates to an unopened container. Once you've let air in, that date no longer applies. It might still be good depending on how cold your fridge is, but it might also be bad.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It also relates to an unopened container. Once you've let air in, that date no longer applies. It might still be good depending on how cold your fridge is, but it might also be bad.
    Thanks, for 1/4 cup, I should toss it.