Thread: Ambitious Goal - Seeking Guidance page

cjeber02 is offline Junior Member

Ambitious Goal - Seeking Guidance

Shop Now
    Good Morning Friends,

I have set a bold goal for myself for the next 12 months and I wanted some feed back on my plan.

My basic goal is to go from 298.8 to 200lbs and finish a sprint triathlon sub 1:05:00. I've done this race 3 times. My best time is 1:22 and change. But that was at 270lbs

For 100 days I am working on eating low carb paleo. A basic day would look like this...
    Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs, 1 slice meunster cheese.
    Midday- at 1030 i have a protein shake (optimum nutrition whey) 48g protein
    Midday- at 230 i have another protein shake
    Dinner- i usually have a 1.5oz spinach salad with extra virgin olive oil 2tbs and 100g of some sort of cooked protein.

I'm trying to keep my protein at about 200-225g of protein and carbs sub 50. I'm aiming for about 2200 net calories.

Workouts are basic.
    Monday- weight lift
    Tuesday- softball
    Wednesday- weight lift
    Thursday-walk
    Friday-sprints
    Saturday-walk

After 100 days, I want to start more tri specific training, but I really want to drop off as much weight as possible at the start.

9 days in things are going well. I did have a little constipation last night, but I was a little off my routine last weekend. I plan to up my fats to see if that helps.

Does my plan look good?

dabears is offline Member
    you do realize whey protein shakes spike insulin just as much as carbs right?

your softball & weight training will be effected by keeping carbs sub 50. Why do you want to do this?

I would replace the whey shakes with a single meal of animal protein + veggies, you will feel more full + for longer.

cjeber02 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    you do realize whey protein shakes spike insulin just as much as carbs right?

your softball & weight training will be effected by keeping carbs sub 50. Why do you want to do this?

I would replace the whey shakes with a single meal of animal protein + veggies, you will feel more full + for longer.
    After I posted, I figured I would get a question about my protein shakes. I guess my primary reason for using then is it's fast and easy during the work day. It takes little prep before hand and gets me a nice low carb protein dose.

I'm chasing low carb because I've sen the most success weight loss wise in the past by being letogenic. I'm not overly concerned about my softball game as I play in a fairly laid back league. Weight training is challenging. I'm a member at my local crossfit box, but at the moment I am participating in regular strength class. My though tere is that regular weight training is less glyocolitically demandong the Te basic HIIT crossfit WOD. I'm not trying to gain strength as much as I'm hoping to minimize muscle wasting while I'm trying to burn off fat. That has been going well so far.

I'm really fuzzy on the insulin response. I can't wrap my mind around that. I guess I don't know what an insulin spike does to me metabolically. Can you elaborate?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Fried ground beef is pretty simple too, and can be eaten hot or cold, if you want to skip the shakes.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

dabears is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeber02 View Post
    After I posted, I figured I would get a question about my protein shakes. I guess my primary reason for using then is it's fast and easy during the work day. It takes little prep before hand and gets me a nice low carb protein dose.

I'm chasing low carb because I've sen the most success weight loss wise in the past by being letogenic. I'm not overly concerned about my softball game as I play in a fairly laid back league. Weight training is challenging. I'm a member at my local crossfit box, but at the moment I am participating in regular strength class. My though tere is that regular weight training is less glyocolitically demandong the Te basic HIIT crossfit WOD. I'm not trying to gain strength as much as I'm hoping to minimize muscle wasting while I'm trying to burn off fat. That has been going well so far.

I'm really fuzzy on the insulin response. I can't wrap my mind around that. I guess I don't know what an insulin spike does to me metabolically. Can you elaborate?
    I used to prescribe to the 6 meals a day standard, and found it was easiest to just have a mid morning and afternoon shake. Given that advice is complete bs, why not just prepare a lunch the night before and eat that? You will be much less likely to experience hunger pangs, and be able to get veggies / slower digesting proteins in as well.

My personal view on being ketogenic is that it is a waste of time if you are active. There is nothing wrong with carbs, only the typical source of them (pasta, bread, cereals, etc.)

If you are doing crossfit, you will certainly be utilizing plenty of your glycogen stores (typical high rep, anaerobic training). Not likely you are performing 3-5 reps of heavy barbell lifts, which are lower in energy demand (but still take up some).

My comment on insulin response was me inferring you were avoiding carbs in order to stay in ketosis, which those shakes will most certainly keep you out of when consuming them daily.

An ideal time for a whey protein shake (combined with simple sugars) would be after your crossfit workout. Insulin is an anabolic (muscle building) hormone, and anyone who is concerned with muscle mass will certainly see better results creating an insulin response with carbs + whey post workout than someone who is trying their hardest to stay in ketosis.

My suggestions would be (and they are just that, suggestions):

- keep the activity level up, and aim to keep your daily carb intake to 100g or less from mostly veggies, and have some potatoes / white rice on your crossfit days (afterwards) to restore your glycogen / assist in recovery... so those days more like 150g.

- your protein intake is awesome, so keep that up. get majority of it from lean sources (chicken/tuna/wild fish/eggs/etc.) this is an effortless way to ensure you are likely in a caloric deficit, and will lose fat. you will also be stuffed

- limit added fats like sour cream, nuts, avocados, oils etc. Just cook your meat with them. very caloric dense & don't bring much to the table (in regards to fat loss)

I also always recommend trying out a 16/8 daily intermittent fasting, as it helps with fat burning / hunger levels / calorie control. But that is a bigger change that most people will want to go for, and doesn't work for everyone.