Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why is coconut oil more preferred to cook with than Lard? page 4

sting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    And BTW you don't need any fat to cook a steak in. The pat of butter goes on top to finish it .
    Seems to burn if you don't have a bit of oil, the little bit of oil seems to make it not stick to the pan?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Newbie to cooking, but was told butter is not really for high temp or long cooking as it burns quickly.
    Butter burns at around 325 degrees F. I recommend making your own ghee for higher heat applications. That is good til around 400-410 degrees F. There is no reason to ever cook higher than that since optimal fry temp is around 360 degrees F.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Seems to burn if you don't have a bit of oil, the little bit of oil seems to make it not stick to the pan?
    If your pan is the right type and hot enough for a sear its not gonna stick. As to burning.....your overcooking it then.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I buy ghee for cooking on high temps. Butter burns every time I've tried using it for that application. Coconut oil is good too.

I haven't read the responses on lard, but I personally I avoid pork fat because IMO it has unfavorable fat profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If your pan is the right type and hot enough for a sear its not gonna stick. As to burning.....your overcooking it then.
    So should you get the pan hot first than add the steak? what then turn it down once it sears?

never cooked as you can see learning some chef Gordon skills atm

Right type tip on a pan for steak?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Simple Steak:

salt and pepper steak and let it come to room temp

get pan (I use charcoal grill or sear portion of my other grill....but I've heard cast iron is best for pan) very hot....I never measure temps, but go by feel. I'm just guessing 700+ degrees.

put steak in for 1.5 minutes (or less for me) on each side. eat this way or finish at lower temp in the oven if your going for anything above medium rare.

K. Thats my story. Just google how to cook steak though and I'm sure you'll find some references.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I personally avoid pork fat because IMO it has unfavorable fat profile.
    Me too. What I find confusing is that the rendered beef fat I bought from US Wellness Meats says "Beef Lard" on the containers. I always though lard was porcine and tallow was bovine. Maybe "tallow" sounded too much like candle making supplies to be marketable.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @Neckhammer ty

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234