Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is coconut oil more preferred to cook with than Lard? page 3

sting is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What about AGE's when cooking meats they talk about the fat piece especially of the steak having the most AGE's, wouldn't this make lard a high AGE's food?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Coconut oil is a special kind of saturated fat, a medium chain triglyceride. It supposedly has special properties in the body as well as special cooking properties. There is nothing wrong with lard except that it is really difficult to find pork lard that is not partially hydrogenated.
    My butcher gives me fat from free range, organically reared pigs, which I render into lard myself in a slow cooker. Delicious!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Most lard is junk today. CAFO lard resembles vegetable oil due to an extremely high PUFA content. CAFO pigs are literally fed soybean oil. Funny thing is, pastured pigs eating a natural diet of grubs, acorns and grasses are higher in PUFA than pigs fed wheat, corn and barley. It would possibly be superior to use grain fed lard as long as they were fed organic, quality grains in a supplemental fashion and not force-fed vegetable oil to fatten them up like in the CAFO system. This is a pretty awesome breakdown at WAPF:

Good Lard, Bad Lard: What Do You Get When You Cross a Pig and a Coconut? | Mother Nature Obeyed - Weston A Price Foundation

Man, would I love me some coconut-fed pork.

I don't see the point of using lard. Butter and coconut oil are superior in terms of lipid profile and both are much more readily available and cheaper. Paying more for an inferior product isn't my style
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Lard is only 6-10% PUFA.

It is composed primarily of MUFA oleic acid (cf. olive oil) and SFAs.
    Modern lard is up to 32% PUFA from CAFO sources. The values they use for lard in nutrition databases are decades old. See the study I posted above. Even 100% pastured lard is around 9% PUFA. Compare that to 7% from grain-fed. The big problem is today's pigs are direct-fed soy oil to fatten them up quickly as PUFA shuts down thyroid function and causes massive weight gain. I suppose if you're going to buy 100% pastured lard from a known source (a small farm you can inspect yourself) it would be of decent quality, but again, why not use coconut oil or pastured butter for a fraction of the price? Both are superior.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Butters on that good for high heat cooking

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Butters on that good for high heat cooking
    Do you do a lot of high heat cooking that butter wouldn't work for? Like what?

Techie is offline Member
    Butter, ghee, tallow, or lard are all fine at high temps, next are palm and coconut, olive oil is pretty delicate (because you want the cold press virgin) and oxidizes easily. Stick with animal fats and fry away.

Excuse me for any typos and sarcastic remarks, sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have deep-fried in clarified butter and RDB coconut oil. At different times.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Do you do a lot of high heat cooking that butter wouldn't work for? Like what?
    Newbie to cooking, but was told butter is not really for high temp or long cooking as it burns quickly.

I did try butter with some seafood and it was OK but it was prawns only which are quick to cook, not sure how it would suit when cooking a steak or something similar...why do you use it for cooking most foods?

Quote Originally Posted by Techie View Post
    Butter, ghee, tallow, or lard are all fine at high temps, next are palm and coconut, olive oil is pretty delicate (because you want the cold press virgin) and oxidizes easily. Stick with animal fats and fry away.
    Hmm i thought coconut oil was best for high temp cooking?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Newbie to cooking, but was told butter is not really for high temp or long cooking as it burns quickly.

I did try butter with some seafood and it was OK but it was prawns only which are quick to cook, not sure how it would suit when cooking a steak or something similar...why do you use it for cooking most foods?

Hmm i thought coconut oil was best for high temp cooking?
    From experience.... butter does burn at lower temps than coconut oil. If I'm broiling something (500+ heat) I use coconut oil. Anything under 400 (eggs for instance) butter does great.

And BTW you don't need any fat to cook a steak in. The pat of butter goes on top to finish it .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast