Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to "regular" sugar... page

pollo_la is offline Member

Alternatives to "regular" sugar...

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I do enjoy some baking with coconut flour and tapioca flour (and even the occasional almond meal). I have a couple of recipes that I really enjoy and I'm looking for the best "sugar" to sweeten them with. I have been using honey quite a bit, and some maple syrup. I occasionally use brown sugar. I stay away from white sugar. Now I am intrigued by coconut sugar!! I haven't used it yet. It seems that this may be the "best" sugar substitute yet?!?! It's lower on the glycemic index, and has minerals and such. So, is it the "best" option? What is your take on all these substitute sugars. Yes, really they should all be used in moderation. In our house these alternative breads/muffins do come about fairly frequently though... we have a lot of little ones living here who can handle more carbs. So, does it really matter? Also, I have stayed away from Stevia. Something just doesn't sit right with me... I feel like I would somehow be trying to "trick" my body by using it. What's your take on Stevia?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Does regular sugar upset your system or trigger you?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Date sugar actually has the best nutritional profile.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting (and thorough!) The Science and Art of Paleofying

diene is offline Senior Member
    I used glucose (dextrose) when cooking at home. The reason is that sucrose is composed of one molecule and fructose and one molecule of glucose, and I believe that fructose consumption should be limited. So I prefer to get my fructose from fruit. Using glucose instead of regular sugar (sucrose) is a good way to reduce fructose consumption.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Coconut sugar or coconut nectar is a good idea.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $9.99.

Also, I have a fundraiser for my new book Fix Your Mitochondria: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...ergy/x/3599154. Please donate if you can.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Does regular sugar upset your system or trigger you?
    Nope, doesn't seem to be a problem for any of us. It just seems too processed and doesn't have "any" nutritional value that I see. At least with honey, you can get the benefit of allergy relief and such. We are all at a good weight (except maybe hubby could lose another 15-20 lbs, but he has lost a few lbs since we changed most of our eating to primal). I don't think bs spikes are really an issue either. I took the gestational diabetes 1 hour test 3 months ago (when I was pregnant) and after drinking a HUGE amount of that nasty sugar crap, my blood sugar was only 96 an hour later... I think anything that was under 125 was considered passing, so I was definitely way under that.

Hummmm, maybe I need to look into date sugar!!

sting is offline Senior Member
    why you against Pure leaf liquid Stevia? not the powdered version.

Never tried it myself but lot seem to recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    why you against Pure leaf liquid Stevia? not the powdered version.

Never tried it myself but lot seem to recommend it
    I'm not sure... for some reason the fact that is it "zero calorie" just turns me off. I somehow equate it with NutraSweet, aspartame, and the like... I somehow feel like if it's "zero calorie" that is can't be good. Honestly, I haven't looked into it much. Any info people can share on Stevia would be great though. I'd love to know more about it.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The thing with using honey or maple syrup is it adds moisture to the recipe. Sometimes that will throw the recipe off. And artificial sweeteners can also cause changes to the recipe as there may either be added moisture or not enough added mass.

After visiting my sister and her children over the weekend I have a huge appreciation for people who paleo-bake. Watching those rug rats demand "kid food" and getting garbage in return ("Mom, don't burn the tostino's this time. When you do that the meat melts away.") was shocking. I mean the meat melts away? It's not meat if it melts away. I'd feed my kids paleo cookies and muffins all day long if that's what it took to keep them away from crap like that. Even with real cane sugar.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast