Thread: So long sugar! page

oostevens is offline Junior Member

So long sugar!

Shop Now
    Hi everyone. My name is Rachel, I'm from Australia and am addicted to sugar/carbs. I am very excited to start this new way of life because currently it just sucks.

I eat lollies or chips all the time. I travel 45mins to and from work and find this is my problem area. I eat during transit. I drink energy drinks daily. So not good for me.

I have started getting food intolerances and am sick of feeling sick. I worry that I will get diabetes from the high amounts of sugar plus I have already had to have surgery for a cyst due to sugar levels.

I have also been on antidepressants for about 3yrs...

I just hope I can stick to Primal. Will be starting as soon as my pay goes in so I can get groceries.

Would love some support and motivation. Adore this forum and its ease of use on mobile

That's right, I CAN do this
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's to a new life. YOU CAN DO IT!

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Rachel. I've been doing Primal for a few weeks and I can see changes in my physique as well as my energy levels. After doing Primal, you may even be able to get off your meds.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oostevens View Post
    Hi everyone. My name is Rachel, I'm from Australia and am addicted to sugar/carbs.
    Hello Rachel, welcome in these forums!

Don't you think that more than "carbs", you are addicted to certain ingredient combinations ? If I asked you to eat a cup of pure refined sugar only, would you do it until the last gram ?

How about steam-cooked potatoes without anything: if I present you a big plate of those, could you finish it ?

I eat lollies or chips all the time. I travel 45mins to and from work and find this is my problem area. I eat during transit. I drink energy drinks daily. So not good for me.
    Palatability of crap pseudo-foods (called "bliss point" by the industrial makers of that crap) is THE trap that most people fall into. Lollies and chips ? These are not foods, they're a "fix" that you may be using to work around some form of stress, they are comfort items that probably stimulate some pleasure centers and you became very dependent. I would suggest you consider these things as a powerful drug and you are about to break this addiction.

I have started getting food intolerances and am sick of feeling sick. I worry that I will get diabetes from the high amounts of sugar plus I have already had to have surgery for a cyst due to sugar levels.

I have also been on antidepressants for about 3yrs...

I just hope I can stick to Primal. Will be starting as soon as my pay goes in so I can get groceries.

Would love some support and motivation. Adore this forum and its ease of use on mobile

Go 100% primal, eat as much as you want for a start but get real nutritious and healing foods. And enjoy your recovery

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Rachel !!

Yes, you CAN do this!

For me, the sugar and bread cravings went away about 7-10 days after I stopped eating them. After that, being primal was easy as pie (ooh, bad pun!).

Stick with it, you won't be sorry!
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement guys. I have come to realize that the substances I have become reliant on are not food. They are poison! I see this now. They provide me with nothing that I need yet I have wasted years filling my body with them. I am ready to become primal, to be how I am meant to be. I am way excited you guys

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Right now, I would suggest that you be strict in what you eat, banishing all that junk and sticking to grain and sugar free foods. But don't try to restrict how much right now. If you feel the need, eat, but make it good stuff. Carry bags of cleaned, ready to pop in your mouth raw veggies, especially the ones that give you lots of "mouth sensation" like celery or radishes. Use pepperettes or nuts in moderate amounts for your salt and crunch fix. And if you end up at a store, thirsty or hungry, try buying tomato juice or mixed veg cocktail (is it called V8 in Australia?) as a filling and non-sweet alternative to energy drinks/sodas.

Get through the first 2 weeks and you will be flying!! Best of luck to you!

I actually love tomato juice and yeah I think it is v8 for vege juice here.