Thread: Saturated fat... who do you believe? page

danhaych is offline Member

Saturated fat... who do you believe?

Primal Fuel
    In regards to the argument of if saturated fats promote inflammation or not, who do you believe? In this book on page 257 it reads "cholesterol & sat fatty acids block the activities of both the delta 6 & 5 desaturases"... So basically linoleic acid cannot become arachidonic acid, unfortunately alpha linolenic cannot become EPA/DHA either then... But then the Weston A Price site reads "Saturated fats in the diet improve the body's utilization of essential fatty acids"... Then a nutrition & biochem lecturer says that saturated fats divert the conversion of DGLA to arachidonic acid instead of diverting to the less inflammatory PgE1 series... This is doin my head in...

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Interesting.

The book you show was authored by Dr. Undurti N. Das

A Google search brings up his CV. 3 goals at the start of the CV, first two are:

1. To develop new drugs for Metabolic syndrome
    Wiki : Metabolic syndrome is a combination of the medical disorders that, when occurring together, increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and diabetes

2. Develop GLA as a drug for human glioma.
    Wiki : A glioma is a type of tumor that starts in the brain or spine. It is called a glioma because it arises from glial cells. The most common site of gliomas is the brain. Gliomas make up ~30% of all brain and central nervous system tumors and 80% of all malignant brain tumors.

The page you referenced has a scheme I don't fully understand but statin ( cholesterol lowering drugs) inputs are shown on the left and right after the diet input. The text is not clear to me but transfats is listed a few times along with inflammation ( transfats are not normally part of the paleo diet as they cause free radicals and inflammation). The text also goes on about statin use and inflammation.

It is true that statin reduces inflammation - I believe basically that's how they work.

So here's my take on it : if one chooses to eat an inflammatory diet ( eg standard Western diet), then his work and statin drugs and his possible new drug may be of benefit if one develops heart disease or diabetes or brain cancer etc in say 30 years time. If one chooses to eat a low toxin and low inflammatory diet (eg paleo) and IF by doing so, one 'dodges' these diseases, then his statin drugs and possible future drugs and research is interesting but irrelevant.

Who or what you believe ( or at least bet your life and health on and hope you're right) is your choice.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 06-17-2013 at 05:47 AM.

sting is offline Senior Member
    Have you read much of Ron Rosedale's work?