Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturated fat... who do you believe? page

danhaych is offline Member

Saturated fat... who do you believe?

Shop Now
    In regards to the argument of if saturated fats promote inflammation or not, who do you believe? In this book on page 257 it reads "cholesterol & sat fatty acids block the activities of both the delta 6 & 5 desaturases"... So basically linoleic acid cannot become arachidonic acid, unfortunately alpha linolenic cannot become EPA/DHA either then... But then the Weston A Price site reads "Saturated fats in the diet improve the body's utilization of essential fatty acids"... Then a nutrition & biochem lecturer says that saturated fats divert the conversion of DGLA to arachidonic acid instead of diverting to the less inflammatory PgE1 series... This is doin my head in...

awok677 is online now Senior Member
    I'm more interested in the reported/observed health of traditional societies that have a high proportion of saturated fats in their diet (without the confounding elements of the westernised diet). To be honest, confirmation bias makes following the science by way of experiments on isolated reactions a bit of a minefield.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    The signals my body gives me - which indicate that saturated fat is awesome.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Read this Inflammation: Which Foods Take the Blame? - Caveman Doctor

I'm not too satisfied with that first links methods. They tend to expound on how trans-fats go about this process in fair depth, but then just make a quick blurb implicating that saturated fats and cholesterol act "similarly". Well how similar are we talking? Could be that its not similar at all if this is just a judgement call and the authors are sticking with CW. That and when we go to in vivo studies low carb high fat diets reduce inflammatory markers. So thats what I would be more interested in.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Most trans fats are horrible from the body, except the trans fat found in red meat also known as CLA. Can Some Trans Fats Be Healthy?. I would assume the same thing could be said about saturated fat. Not all saturated fats are equal and I would assume that MCT's are the best.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhaych View Post
    In regards to the argument of if saturated fats promote inflammation or not, who do you believe? In this book on page 257 it reads "cholesterol & sat fatty acids block the activities of both the delta 6 & 5 desaturases"... So basically linoleic acid cannot become arachidonic acid, unfortunately alpha linolenic cannot become EPA/DHA either then... But then the Weston A Price site reads "Saturated fats in the diet improve the body's utilization of essential fatty acids"... Then a nutrition & biochem lecturer says that saturated fats divert the conversion of DGLA to arachidonic acid instead of diverting to the less inflammatory PgE1 series... This is doin my head in...
    This is all fantastic news, and it's a reason why I believe saturated fats to be by far the healthiest fats one can consume.

Polyunsaturated fat are very inflammatory and slow thyroid function, resulting in a slower and less efficient metabolism. Because SFA's displace PUFA's, they have a net positive effect on the metabolic rate and best support thyroid function. A more robust thyroid and metabolic rate means a healthier you!

The fact that SFA's inhibit omega 3's as well is more great news. I see no health benefits to omega 3's. Studies showing epidemiological benefits are full of confounding factors - the main one being that societies that eat lots of fish tend to eat less processed foods in general. I don't think it's the fish consumption helping, but rather the avoidance of frankenfoods. On the other hand, every day that goes by shows fish oil supplementation to be more and more toxic and cancerous. Keep the omega 3's even further away from me than the omega 6's since omega 3's are longer chain, and therefore more fragile and prone to oxidation/trans-fat conversion/free radical damage.

The only fats I use to cook with anymore are pastured butter/ghee and virgin coconut oil. I'm cool with extra virgin olive oil, but it's so hard to find the "real stuff" anymore I limit its use. If you can find good quality California olive oil that is deep green, solidifies in the fridge and burns on the way down, I say have at that, too. I wouldn't consume any other oils other than those three by choice.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    Not all saturated fats are equal
    can you give your opinion on this Ron?

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    Most trans fats are horrible from the body, except the trans fat found in red meat also known as CLA. Can Some Trans Fats Be Healthy?. I would assume the same thing could be said about saturated fat. Not all saturated fats are equal and I would assume that MCT's are the best.
    Yeah, I wish that transfat labeling would distinguish between artificial transfats and natural ones. Although reading the ingredients helps. But I just recently checked out some restaurant nutritional information and I just have no idea if the transfats in their items are natural or not. Red meat and cheese were involved so they could be.

sting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I see no health benefits to omega 3's.
    You don't think there is any health benefits eating Sardines, Salmon, Grass fed beef/offal, Quail, Berries, Avocados, Leafy greens, Walnuts, Pumpkin?

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    You don't think there is any health benefits eating Sardines, Salmon, Grass fed beef/offal, Quail, Berries, Avocados, Leafy greens, Walnuts, Pumpkin?
    omega 3 != anything you just said

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast