Thread: Saturated fat... who do you believe? page 2

sting is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    omega 3 != anything you just said
    what have i understood wrong now?

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    You don't think there is any health benefits eating Sardines, Salmon, Grass fed beef/offal, Quail, Berries, Avocados, Leafy greens, Walnuts, Pumpkin?
    There's no evidence out there that will convince an entrenched view...I consider omega three to be a key component of an ancestral diet. It ties in so well with the evidence. It's almost as well correlated as smoking and cancer. Still maybe cigarettes aren't bad we have just done too many dodgy studies?

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Just if we talk about oils themselves a lot of people don't know that GMO cottonseed oil is high in saturated fat (22% of oil) compared to most other oils (only less to coconut and palm). If it is full hydrogenated it breaks the bonds and the cottonseed oil then because the most saturated oil in the planet (93% of it becomes saturated).

Now on to the individual fats. Lauric Acid and Palmitic Acid would be your best Saturated fats. This fats are the highest in coconut, palm, butter and ground beef. Following those would be butyric acid which is very important into the production of butyrates which are good for the maintaining the integrity of the intestines. Next, would be stearic acid which is the highest in chocolate (which has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol). Finally, the last fatty acid would be Mystric acid which is just found in Coconut Oil and Butter.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $9.99.

Also, I have a fundraiser for my new book Fix Your Mitochondria: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...ergy/x/3599154. Please donate if you can.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    You don't think there is any health benefits eating Sardines, Salmon, Grass fed beef/offal, Quail, Berries, Avocados, Leafy greens, Walnuts, Pumpkin?
    Depends what you compare it to.

Do I think "Sardines, Salmon, Avocado, and Walnuts" are healthier than the typical processed foods that Americans eat on a daily basis? Oh yea. By leaps and bounds. They're all very nutrient-dense and clearly "real food."

I left out "Grass fed beef/offal, Quail, Berries, Avocados, Leafy greens, and Pumpkin" because they are all poor sources of omega 3's, and I would consider this list to be superior to the first list.

It's a difference between "good food" and "optimal food." Pastured chicken is good food. Grassfed beef is optimal food. I don't think there is anything optimal about any nut - better than grains yes, but not as good as meat, fruit, starchy tubers and quality dairy. I value starches, fruits and squashes more than I value greens as well due to nutrient availability. Not much of the nutrition in greens is digestible, and the fiber is insoluble vs soluble in fruits, starches and squashes, so it is not as compatible with gut health. Greens also tend to be goitrogenic, meaning they slow the thyroid, while fruits and starches increase thyroid function. I enjoy berries, but as far as health value goes I'd rank them near the bottom because they force you to eat the seeds. Berries are one of the few fruits with a measurable lectin content. I'd put melons and sweet tropical fruits like mangoes above them, but that's getting really anal retentive and ridiculous IMO. I just ate 2 lbs of strawberries last week.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

You need to intake both Omega 3's and Omega 6's to maintain proper cell wall integrity.

You have to have omega 6's to make archadonic acid though that is why either a 3:1 omega 3 to omega 6 or 4:1 is a good idea to have. You need some omega 6 if you didn't then you would have trouble making prostagladins. Remember inflammation is needed by the body for protection, its just EXCESS INFLAMMATION which is bad just like excess Omega 6's that causes excess inflammation. Also not all omega 6's are the same was well the source of your omega 6 either leaves you with LA (not that great) or GLA (the GOOD OMEGA 6). GLA is converted into DGLA in the body if you are sufficient in magnesium, zinc, and vitamins C, B3, and B6. DGLA is pro good inflammatory response.

And if you don't believe me about inflammation being good take a lot of SOD. You die rather quickly from the lack of inflammatory responses in the body.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $9.99.

Also, I have a fundraiser for my new book Fix Your Mitochondria: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...ergy/x/3599154. Please donate if you can.

www.fixyourgut.com

Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    There's no evidence out there that will convince an entrenched view...I consider omega three to be a key component of an ancestral diet. It ties in so well with the evidence. It's almost as well correlated as smoking and cancer. Still maybe cigarettes aren't bad we have just done too many dodgy studies?
    Studies revolving around omega 3's today are reminiscent of studies revolving around omega 6's 40 years ago. I see little compelling evidence showing they're important, and none showing they're "essential fatty acids." I do, however, see concrete fact that they are extremely prone to oxidation, particularly EPA and DHA. They are the most fragile fats in nature.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    You need to intake both Omega 3's and Omega 6's to maintain proper cell wall integrity.

You have to have omega 6's to make archadonic acid though that is why either a 3:1 omega 3 to omega 6 or 4:1 is a good idea to have. You need some omega 6 if you didn't then you would have trouble making prostagladins. Remember inflammation is needed by the body for protection, its just EXCESS INFLAMMATION which is bad just like excess Omega 6's that causes excess inflammation. Also not all omega 6's are the same was well the source of your omega 6 either leaves you with LA (not that great) or GLA (the GOOD OMEGA 6). GLA is converted into DGLA in the body if you are sufficient in magnesium, zinc, and vitamins C, B3, and B6. DGLA is pro good inflammatory response.

And if you don't believe me about inflammation being good take a lot of SOD. You die rather quickly from the lack of inflammatory responses in the body.
    Why do you "need" to take in omega 3 and omega 6?

I explained it in the post the body needs some archadonic acid so you have to take in some omega 6's. You also need to take in either ALA, DHA or EPA for your omega 3. I not talking about supplementing Omega 6 or Omega 3 in one's diet, but you do need some intake in food. You don't eat nuts at all? You don't use Olive Oil or eat any fish?
    Your body can't adequately make all the fatty acids it needs from saturated fats, you need some Mufas and Pufas as well. Plants and fish can do it though humans cannot. We cannot make ALA or archadonic acid ourselves. If you ate nothing but saturated fat and no other fats your cell membrane integrity would be horrible.
    Last edited by Ron_Swanson; 06-17-2013 at 09:37 AM.

www.fixyourgut.com

Most of these studies that were done on patients taking supplements. I might agree the supplements might be bogus (because even the best fish oil supplement might lack a compound destroyed in processing that you get from eating the fish itself) but to think that getting Omega 3's from fish doesn't do anything for your body is absurd. Saturated Fats, and good Omega 3's and Omega 6's in balance is what makes a healthy human being.

www.fixyourgut.com

Wow you are against Omega 3 and Omega 6's, but you ate a ton of fructose (and if those strawberries weren't organic some of the worse fluoride pesticides you can ingest). There are studies a mile wide that prove that fructose consumption should be kept to a bare minimum of no more than 20 grams a day. Greens are goitrogenic RAW, if you steam them the goitogenic property is great lessened, even almost non existent. To limit Broccoli consumption completely because it is goitrogenic is ludicrous. Broccoli is great for you, DIM and I3C in broccoli is important to any male in this estrogen filled toxic world.

www.fixyourgut.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast