Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cravings for raw ground meat page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I have a restaurant just down the street from my new house that sells kangaroo tartare. I am fast becoming their best customer.

The theory on food safety I have read is
    1)buy good quality to begin with
    2)Freeze it really solid for a minimum of two weeks (This should kill off any parasites)

On the Dirty Carnivore site there is an entire sub forum all about raw meat. Lots of good info from people who eat it all the time without dying.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I've done it, but don't crave it. My Dad always, when using burger, would roll up a small ball of raw burger, salt it, and pop it in his mouth. About the only meat I habitually eat raw is fish, though, as sashimi.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I have a restaurant just down the street from my new house that sells kangaroo tartare. I am fast becoming their best customer.

The theory on food safety I have read is
    1)buy good quality to begin with
    2)Freeze it really solid for a minimum of two weeks (This should kill off any parasites)

On the Dirty Carnivore site there is an entire sub forum all about raw meat. Lots of good info from people who eat it all the time without dying.
    I've actually met a guy who had an entire DIET out of ONLY raw organ meats. No muscle meat at all, no veggies, no spices or oils or anything else, just straight, uncooked, raw animal organs.

He tried to sell a bunch of people we were with that it is the "only" way to eat.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I can definitely eat raw ground beef with salt and spices. Not gonna have an entire meal out of it, but I really like to have a bite or two while preparing something with it.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My family used to serve raw beef open faced sandwhiches - ground round, raw onion, some type of strong stinky cheese and a slice of rye bread. But the beef came from our own cows.

I don't think I could bring myself to eat raw ground beef unless I bought the roast from a good quality place and then ground it myself. I am not opposed to raw food, but raw ground beef is a bit on the scary side as far as pathogens go. I do love steak tartare and sashimi though.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I eat raw meat on the regular. Thankfully now I eat grass-fed/finished raw meat, but when I was little, I definitely snuck chunks of raw meat.... That definitely wasn't properly raised- whoops!LOL!

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Wow, great to hear from you all. Thanks for the responses. I was never worried it would make me sick...I've been doing it for 30 years and so far so good. When I was a kid our beef was all conventional but over the past 10 years I get all my meat in bulk from the ranch. It's frozen but very fresh. I was mostly just curious. Sounds like not alone on this one. Guess what I'm having for breakfast Yummm....

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I eat raw fish regularly but I've never been able to find a source of ground meat I trust enough to consume raw. I'm dying to try steak tartare.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I crave it. just walking past a field with cows in makes me hungry. Vitamin B6 is damaged by heat so maybe the cooking process is something that we need to skip now and again. Interestingly vitb6 is found in grains so maybe going grain free means we seek it elsewhere. listen to your inner animal nomnom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12