Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: :D Spinner's Primal Journal page

Spinner is offline Senior Member

:D Spinner's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Well, Howdy!

Thought I should sit down and get my journal started! I guess a bit of background would be in order! Soooo... long ago in the early years of the second age a Spin was born.. ok, maybe not that much background!

I grew up with a mom who believed that thin was where it was at and the thinner the better. Alas, I was not thin, or not as thin as she would have liked, and I grew up on a 900 calorie diet. When I graduated from HS, I was about 135. After, I lost about 23 pounds and got down to 112 and into a size 4. Mom still wasn’t happy and told me constantly that I needed to loose at least another 10 pounds and I would look better if I did. I was pretty happy with how I looked and I started working out, such as it was back in the ‘80’s I mostly followed Jane Fonda’s workout, along with some other exercises I had found in some magazines.

Enter the ex.... to make a long story much shorter, suffice it to say, it was a bad 6 year marriage and I went from 112 to 350+ on a 5'1 frame. I made better time rolling on my side then walking! Needless to say, the Frigidaire was my best friend.

After we split up, I lost 70 pounds in about 6 months doing a no added fat/mod protein/high carb diet. Lots of MASSIVE salads, poached chicken breasts and lots of oatmeal for breakfast, crackers, rice, pasta, rice cakes for snacks. No cheese, no oil, no butter, no meat 'grease'. I did fall off the wagon after those 6 months, because I really needed some real oils. I bounced around weight wise, and managed to get down to 240, and there I stayed for a really long time. Enter, my hubby. He was actually my first bf and I tracked him down to see how he was doing after I had lost those 70 pounds. Ok, still much bigger then he remembered from high school, but we rebuilt our friendship, discovered we were still in love with each other and in June of 2004 we got married.

In 2005, I discovered Nourishing Traditions. We started following what was lined out there and started eating coconut oil, real butter, whole milk, meats, with soaked grains and sourdough breads and the like. I lost 80 pounds, boom, and another 20 or so trickled off. I was feeling good and looking better then I had in a really long time. Had lots of energy. Then, in December of 2007, I thought I had the flu. Hubby said I had to go see the doc or he was going to take me to the ER. I opted for the doctor and found out that my blood sugar was dang near 600, and my antibodies were sitting at 67.7--hello latent onset type 1 diabetes! Whooo! So much fun! I get to poke myself 5 times a day on the fingers and give myself 5 shots a day! Whee! Sign me up! NOT!! so, with starting insulin, I gained 80 pounds right back. Shoot, I gained like 10 pounds my first week! I talked to the doc about it and he said it had to do with the insulin opening up the cells of my body to let the sugars in and that was what was causing my weight to shoot up. Saw a diabetic nutritionist and went on the diabetic diet, with bread and potatoes and all that fun stuff and felt like garbage. Still followed NT's way of prepping grains and such but still felt ick, and watched my weight continue to balloon and I was being good, CW good, but never really had the kind of tight control I wanted on my blood sugars, still high and low swings and wow... the mood swings too.

Then, this past November, I thought I was having a heart attack. Did go to the ER for that one and found out that my thyroid was going as well. Joy joy! Got put on replacement therapy and got the results of my 6month blood test this past Monday when I went and saw my Endo. By this time, I had been reading here on MDA and the grain free/paleo/primal eating thread on Mothering.com and discussing it with my dh and thinking this is the way to go. A side note-I played around with cutting the grains back in the summer and my need for insulin dropped. I discovered that my noon blood sugars were in the 70's and I didn't need to have insulin at lunch. Sooo I discussed the paleo/primal eating with my Endo, along with my experiment this past summer, and he agreed to my cutting my grains since I was still having trouble keeping my blood sugar in my optimum range. So here we go! I am also going to list my blood sugars too.

Today is actually day 3, but I will post what I ate the past 2 days--

Breakfast (both) a breakfast salad of mixed baby greens, red, green and orange bell peppers, broccoli with 2 poached eggs drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar

Lunch (Both) A BAS with more baby greens, roasted mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, broccoli, and an 8 oz petite sirloin steak, seared but still 'blue' in the middle--rarer then rare. I have always preferred my steaks still mooing! Tossed with a homemade mustard garlic olive oil dressing.

Dinner Wednesday A stir fry with veggies, pork and chicken. No rice, pasta. Only sauce was a bit of soy sauce.

Dinner Thursday Carrot ginger soup made with rice milk--yes I know, not primal, but I was supposed to make the soup for dinner with a friend of my dd's who is a vegetarian and trying to be supportive, but ummm... considering that the soup had 45 grams of carb--my whole day's worth!! I think I am going to be skipping that in the future, and future dinners with my dd's friend will have to be other items. No wonder my blood sugar was so high this morning!

Moving on to today--

6:30 thyroid meds

7:00 handful of mixed baby greens, topped with sauteed broccoli and mixed bell peppers, drizzled with olive oil, topped with 2 basted eggs, cooked in butter. Supplements (yum!) Fish oil, multi-vitamin, vit D Blood sugar 255 (OUCH! Curse you carrot ginger soup!) I did wake up with a headache, so I am thinking perhaps the low carb flu is on its way. 22 units Levemir; 12 units Novolog

9:00 crispy almonds and ginger tea

12:00 Large bowl of mixed baby greens with 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1 chopped tomato, handful of pork rinds--no bacon in the house--drizzled with some homemade dressing.
    Blood sugar 79! Headache is back--could be low bs/induction flu

2:00 another handful of almonds 2hour post lunch blood sugar 91! woot! No insulin for me!

4:30 1 hard boiled egg. Not sure when or what dinner will be--going to meet my parents who are heading thru town.

8:00 Had a double double at in n out protein style with no cheese or bun, but forgot to have them leave off the burger sauce. BS was 240. Took 10 units of Novolog and my night time Levimer.
    Last edited by Spinner; 05-23-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Re-wrote my intro
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

3 days down, a lifetime to go!

Woke hubby up at 3:30 with a low blood sugar of 60--bah! Ate 8 ounces of juice packed mixed fruit and a piece of cheese. Course, eating now throws off my thyroid meds until 8, since i have to go 4 hours after eating if I don't take my meds first thing in the am. LC flu is in full force. Yippee-do, and I hopped on the scale and I am down 9 pounds! My belly doesn't feel so bloated, I can already tell a diff in the way my pants fit. Not loose, but more comfy, and I feel lighter. To deal with the possibility of low blood sugars, going to get some tomato juice--saw that recommended in the diabetic group.

9:00 Breakfast will probably be sauteed bell peppers and onions and some sausage. Sliced avocado sounds good, as does one of the hard boiled eggs I made yesterday. And probably a mug of ginger tea. Thinking about making a meatza or baked chicken for dinner.

Dinner has been decided on--roast chicken, baked sweet potatoes, cooled, chunked and then sauteed in bacon grease, served with the bacon and veggies of some form or another, green beans maybe and a tossed green salad? My step son comes over on the weekends and dinner is always a challenge because he prefers pasta and what not, and well, he is just gonna have to eat primal here from here on out.

1:00 Lunch was a salad with a can of tuna packed in oil, a tomato, the other half of the avocado from brekkie, mixed baby greens and a hard boiled egg, all drizzled with my olive oil dressing. BS 111

3:30 handful of almonds. Blood sugar 79

6:00 Dinner was roast chicken, sauteed sweet potatoes (done in butter and evoo with garlic salt and herbs de Provence), green beans and a mixed green salad with olive oil/acv/mustard dressing. Blood sugar 100

9:00 bed! Post dinner bs 81.

Daily stats (according to fitday) 1745 kcal; fat grams 120.4; carbs 54.8 grams; protien 118.3 grams
    Last edited by Spinner; 05-23-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

I am wondering if there are any groups for primal teens, for them to do themselves? Not necessarily the primal family one? My dd is tracking her diet and activity on Sparkteen, but there isn't a primal group there for the kids, although there is on one the Sparkpeople. Working on switching her diet over as well, since she has a few friends at school who are vegan/vegetarian, and while she still wants to eat meat, I think under peer pressure she could go vegan... I guess just some thoughts... I do still pack her lunch, so what she gets for lunch is switching over to primal.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Okay, on to today!

IFing, if you can call it that, with just having coffee this am. Thinking about breaking my fast at noon with a salad. I think I had too many carbs yesterday... specially considering my blood sugar this am was 441~ holy cow! So coffee with cream only, along with some insulin to bring my blood sugar into line.

Plans for today--turning the bones from the baked chicken from last night into stock and hoping to run the dogs if the rain and snow lets up. Ok.. here we are at the end of May and we have snow? welcome to spring! Thinking about reduce the stock and then freezing it into 'hockey pucks' for sauces and what not.

broke my fast with a large mixed green salad, with green beans that were left over from last night, about a cups worth, and 2 chicken sausages, along with 1/4 of an orange bell pepper. Sauteed the veg and sausage in some schmaltz from the chicken. Good stuff, Maynard. Felt light headed, but managed to go 18 hours without eating. I checked my blood sugar and it is 131, so it has dropped 310 points since I checked it this am, so that maybe part of the light headedness.

7:00 for dinner we had the bacon, chicken and avocado salad--sooo good! used left over chicken instead of the boneless/skinless thighs and added in a few chunks of left over sweet potato that was left from last night. Yummy!

Realized that I didn't have a headache today, and my constant stuffiness seems to be less. I think I could be coming out on the other side of the LC flu.. now watch tomorrow I will wake up with the worst headache yet! LOL!! Did not get the chicken stock started, so that will be tomorrow's chore. Just want to get it done. I don't want to freeze the bones and forget about them. Tomorrow is as good a day as any to make the stock.

Daily stats (according 2 fitday) 1111 cals; 58.1 grams fat; 43.2 grams of carb; 47.2 protein. Hmm... kinda flat. I need to bump up my fats. But not too bad, I guess for my first IF. Was not hungry at all today. I guess my moving around for today was walking around the market and walmart for about 2 hours or so.
    Last edited by Spinner; 05-23-2010 at 11:24 PM.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Here we go! Hopped on the scale this am and I am down another 2 pounds, so 11lbs all together in less then a week! I know that this kind of weight loss will not continue, but wow, what an ego boost! I can tell in my pants, I feel so much lighter and the brain fog seems to have lifted as well. Sorta started Bug on primal as well--well 80% or so anyway. She mostly eats scrambled eggs for breakfast, if I cook them--that will be summer's chore--but eats cereal for breakfast on the other mornings. (she is 16 by the way. 4'10 and about 90 lbs, so she doesn't need to loose weight, but I would like her to make/have healthy choices) Sent her to school with a hard boiled egg and some sliced ham, cucumber slices and grape tomatoes. Also included a bit of 'trail mix' that I made per 'order'--a mix of almonds & walnuts (small palm full total), a few dark chocolate chips, about a T of dried cranberries and 4 apricot halves, cut up. Bug can work on that for nutrition break and finish the rest with lunch.

8:30 Breakfast. 3 egg omelet with about 3 oz of sausage, sauteed onion and peppers. 3 cups of coffee (over the morning from 6 am to breakfast) with cream. Meds. blood sugar 230. ouch, but almost always high in the am. Check again in 2 hours or so. Levimer 22 units, 20 units of Novolog

Plans for today--Dinner tonight will be taco pork salads. I take a big pork shoulder, onion, enchilada sauce and a chili/taco seasoning mix and dump it in the crockpot and make salads out of it. Sooo good! Stock will be made (gonna go start it now I think) and some sort of BAS for lunch. Plan to run the dogs, since we didn't get out to get it done yesterday--too cold and wet. Course today is no warmer, but hopefully no rain.

11:30 blood sugar at 105. Go for a 40 minute hike/walk with dh and pupperdos. Had a bit of trail mix, much like I made bug, but started to crash. Had to make a stop and had 2 fun size york peppermint patties. Sleepy time now. It's just about 1:30. May or may not have lunch.

Actually went to sleep from 1:30 3:30. So, I skipped lunch. Dh and I ran out and did a couple more errands and then when we got home, I got dinner done. The pork came out beautiful and really tender, and we had it over big bowls of romaine, with sour cream, chopped cucumbers, grape tomatoes, a bit of shredded cheese and about a 1/3 of an avocado.

6:00 dinner. see above :-) Blood sugar was 142 pre dinner.
    Last edited by Spinner; 05-24-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Just took my blood sugar, and it was 234! What the hey??? Then I realized it was the taco seasoning! It had flour in it!! Dang it all! I bet that is what kicked me up **head slap** Next time, going to use one of Mrs. Dash's blends instead. BAH!!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Oh no Spinner! If you want a taco seasoning recipe that tastes EXACTLY like the packet stuff let me know!

You're doing so well, keep it up!!!

YES Lil_em, I would love that recipe! We love to do a lot of taco salads during the summer, and I would love to have a healthy sub for the taco seasoning. THANK YOU for sharing!!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (omit this for mild)
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

You can store this indefinitely in an airtight container in your pantry.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Reading with interest. Keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast