Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Children Eating? page

kmacphee is offline Senior Member

What Are Your Children Eating?

Primal Fuel
    I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it in the forum...

With all the talk about what we are eating, I thought it would be entertaining to see what we are all feeding out children. I can understand that not all partners are buying into the primal/paleo/low carb/real food lifestyle, and I can see how that could be some cause for trouble in the kitchen in some homes.

In our house, I am the one responsible for planning, shopping and preparing all of our meals (yes, a man who loves to plan, shop and cook food!) so we have been following a mostly primal eating plan for the girls, however there are times when it is just easier to keep them from screaming (I have 14 month old twins!) by passing them something that is not on my list.

So here's my question for all of the primal parents...what are you feeding your children?

I will give you an example of today's meal plan for my children:

Breakfast: Whole Milk, Half Banana, Half Avocado, Berries (Blueberry, Black Berry, Raspberry), and full fat greek yogurt with some oatmeal, raisins & cinnamon mixed in and 1/2 piece organic (no preservatives) whole wheat bread.

Snack: 1/2 avocado, whole milk

Lunch: Remaining yogurt/oats/raisins, couple pieces of sausage, Whole Milk, More berries, Cheese if still hungry

Snack: Share a lara bar, whole milk

Dinner: Steamed veggies, whole milk, pieces of mom and dad's paleo burger, cheese

This is not our menu each day, however many of the ingredients are repeated such as banana, berries, avocado, milk, yogurt, and we also add in beans, some soup, fish, and we keep trying chicken but with no luck.

I would love to hear about what your kids are eating.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty lucky that my son will eat whatever I'm eating. Most diners we eat lamb or chicken thighs, broccoli and carrots mashed in with a potato or yam.. he snacks on larabars, nuts and raisons, cheese, hard boiled eggs and sausage, hummus and cabbage or other veggies. I still give him macaroni and cheese once in a while, the odd peanut butter and jam sandwich (sans crust).. but 80% of the time it's pretty good food.

Brad is offline Member
    My kids 6,3, and 2 year old boys eat beef like a pack of wolves. They also love bacon, chicken, and will eat some fish. They do pretty good with most veggies, love berries, and eat some apples and other assorted fruit. My wife and kids do eat some rice, and pasta, but not too bad. I'm not sure what I did with my 6year old, but that kid will not touch any liquid besides water and will not eat any cake/candy anything like that. When people offer it to him he will always politly say "No Thank you." He has never even tasted any kind of soda, or juice, and its all by his choice......Makes me so proud.

They also eat lots of eggs, and some dairy.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    That's pretty cool, Brad. Mine loves soda and is always asking for it despite the fact that she gets less than one a month. Her dinners have gone primal, and I am pretty proud of her going along with the program. She likes eggs in the morning, but frequently, like today, will opt for a bagel and cream cheese. Oh well, I am new to this. She is 11. I don't think it would be productive to enforce food restrictions cold turkey after a decade of bad choices. She doesn't eat lunch at school. She'll pack a little fruit and she is happy with that, doesn't want to waste time in the cafeteria, which she finds disgusting. After school she is looking to carb up with a sandwich or pasta or ice cream or such. This is my current challenge. If I can make that "meal" she has primal, she'll be at 80%.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I have twin girls too, they're 25 months old. This is a great age because they are not too set in their food ways yet so I'm trying to get them eating as paleo as I can and it's not that hard. They love all meat, all veggies, all fruit and go crazy for nuts and seeds. Of course they love cookies, crackers, pancakes and other SAD stuff too (I'm only a few months into this primal thing so most of their lives they have eaten healthy and minimally processed food but plenty of grains, tofu and such)
    I've been thinking a lot about whether I think it's necessary for them to eat paleo or not and for now I'm not doing it with them. I try to feed them more to WAPF guidelines. Plenty of fat, and protein, low on the grain foods compared to most kids. Here's a typical day of eating for them:

B: scrambled eggs and sausage, OR Oatmeal with heavy cream and watered down juice. Probiotic most days.

L: PB&J on whole wheat or organic chicken nuggets and tater tots and milk. They dont eat a lot at lunch, the bulk of their calories come from breakfast and dinner.

S: Fruit, avocado, dried fruits, small nuts, seeds. This is where I usually sneak in a little OJ with CLO in it.

D: plenty of veggies, they eat them all and plenty of meat and sometimes more milk. They both love steak, barbeque chicken, italian sausage, pork chops, burgers. Sometimes they eat more between the two of them than me alone! Sometimes they get a small side of pasta or rice with what I've made but most days it's primal.

We don't do dessert but when they are older and stay up later I think we will do fruit salad or something.

It's still a work in progress, I'm always reevaluating what I feed them but for now this works.
    Hope this helps!

mjoshuahill is offline Member
    Grol,

How about berries and cottage cheese or whole milk ricotta cheese? Or fruit covered in heavy cream?
    It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad to see others talking about this.

So far so good with my 20 month girl. We have same meals, and she's not too bad at veggies and fruit, and loves her meat. Some days though she just craves carbs (I just started with PB) and if we're out, she'll have some. Otherwise I give her a snack of cheese or meat or fruit and she's usually good. We still do dairy, and I can't see that changing for her. I'm trying to limit her grains, knowing that at daycare and out with my MIL she will still have grains and that, but I can limit it at home.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Thanks mjo. She'll nix the cottage and riccota cheeses. She'd want the heavy cream whipped and sweetened, but you may be on to something with that idea. Still, I want to reduce her fruit intake and this thread has me thinking a little harder about this. Since she basically skips lunch this is her biggest meal and it happens between 2:30 and 3. If I can get on top of this and actually have something prepared for her a little more substantial, I'm sure she would love it. Some roasted chicken and mashed cauliflower would make her day. I just need to get on it. A few strips of homemade jerky and some broccoli dipped in hollandaise would also work. Thanks for the thread kmac. I needed it.

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Grol,

I can understand that shifting cold turkey can be worry some. I read about a few families who did with children the same age as yours. They had the typical week of push back and eventually they realized that mom and dad were serious, so eventually they had to eat. Over a period of a couple years they watched their overweight/unhealthy kids grow into vibrant/healthy teens who had increased grades along with their improved health. Having said that, there is also some peace in taking it one step at a time and working towards decreasing the availability of the "forbidden" foods and replacing them with wonderful tasting snacks and meals that the kids will fight over!

The Real Food idea works well. As long as you are feeding them food, and not food like products, then you should be on your way.

I agree with mjoshuahill, that berries and cottage cheese, or the ricotta cheese and my favorite fruit in cream can be great choices for your kids when they return home from school. Adding a few nuts to those snacks works well, and topping with cinnamon helps to improve taste as well.

How about apple and almond butter, or even berries with whipped cream. Kids love that. Just don't put the icing sugar in the cream, but you can still add vanilla and top with cinnamon.

Katie,

Keeping with the WAPF guidelines will help your kids to be much healthier than following the SAD guidelines! Looks like you are doing a great job.

Fern is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My son is 15 months old.
    Breakfast: bacon or sausage with veggies and
    Snack: fruit or meat chunks like diced ham or chicken
    lunch: some sort of meat with veggies like sweet potatoes or broccoli or cauliflower sometimes carrots, maybe some fruit.
    Snack: fruit, grapes, strawberries or oranges, pork rinds
    Dinner: beef, chicken, pork or fish he likes them all he even eats sardines, with chopped salad veggies, cheese, olives, pork rinds and guacamole or salsa.
    sometimes he wont eat his afternoon fruit so he gets that after dinner if he wants it. All he will drink is water or plain sun tea that I make for my husband and I. He gets hives when he eats any grain or chicken eggs so he can't eat those. He also like beef jerky when I make it from home. A few weeks ago he ate nothing but strawberries and grapes but now hes eating lots of stuff again.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast