Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Children Eating? page 3

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    "That cafeteria food. ohmygosh. I can pack all the lunches I want, but that doesn't mean my kid will eat it! And what if, after years of home cooked meals and healthy snacks, they just prefer to eat unhealthy? fear, worry, repeat. I guess it does no good to dwell on these things."

Exactly! Make the good stuff fun and oftentimes, the rest falls away. Talk about it early and often just like you would drugs or smoking.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

mjoshuahill is offline Member
    Grol,

Sitting down with her and watching Fathead may help in the fast food department.
    It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

Grol is offline Senior Member

She's watched Fathead and Food Inc. with me. She has big issues with Tyson and Foster Farms. Just last night she produced a rough draft for her final creative writing assignment. It's about two chickens named Foster and Tyson who 'escape the cube' and end up in Hawaii with all the wild chickens. Funny though, she visited a feedlot on a field trip and doesn't think those nice people would produce unsafe beef. It even got her over the be a vegetarian because eating animals is mean phase. Go figure.

I grow organic 'offseason' heirloom tomatoes for market, btw, so she's had good influences regarding sustainable agriculture. I really appreciate all the concern for her in this thread. I'm jealous of the parents who are getting started with much younger kids, but we'll be fine. My kid is way way ahead of her SAD eating peers on this topic. They've called her weird because of her healthy eating habits before her father turned caveman. She will not eat anything from the school cafeteria and is a little lost in a fast food restaurant. Terrified of the meat, to be frank. She likes subway, sodas, shakes, ice cream and plenty of high carb food (Mexican and Italian), but she'll be fine. This will be a process considering her age, but she's bright and as kmac said, my example will be key.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I got my office manager in trouble with her daughter. My office manager has been eating more "primal" following my example (and fat loss) - her daughter (12) chided her for the lack of whole grains and too many animal fats and explained how "Miss Dees" the health teacher had explained what a healthy diet was... my office manager said, "I've seen Miss Dees, and I wouldn't listen to her for diet advice." (ouch!)

Just wanted to add that ever since I went primal (and the one year old eats what I eat, with added milk), my youngest astounds me with how much food she can pack in.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    Just wanted to add that ever since I went primal (and the one year old eats what I eat, with added milk), my youngest astounds me with how much food she can pack in.
    It's crazy isn't it! lol

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisous View Post
    I was watching one of my daughters tonight shovel in bite after bite of steak, pork, and sweet potato just as fast as she could chew...and she had a large snack 2 hrs prior. I was just like, wow! should I stop her? Nah...and then they get that big ol toddler tummy, I love it. As long as you're providing good food it doesn't matter what they choose to eat or how much. Kids have that built in sense of what and how much they need to nourish their bodies, all we have to do is try not to break that.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Hey Grol, I just wanted to add that I got a late start on a whole foods diet with my crew. I just started about a year ago and we have made great strides, but the ones that live at home are 16, 14 & 7. The 14 yr old is the pickiest child on the planet who really hates his veggies and most fruits.....ironically he is also the one who has written essays on the dangers of processed foods and always comments on his friends eating habits and asks pointed questions about diet and health...he really gets it, but the execution of what he knows is right is harder.

Breakfast is tough, the 14 yr old has a bagel with cream cheese. The other two have yogurt and fruit...the occasional egg (all three dislike eggs, especially for breakfast)

Lunch is turkey/cheese & cukes wrapped in lettuce, or slices of turkey & cheese, maybe a hard boiled egg, apple, and nuts...usually a small token bag of tortilla chips

Snacks are deviled eggs, hard boiled eggs, cheese, peanut butter, fruits, cheese, nuts

Dinner is salad, veggies, baked potato on occasion, meat, soup...etc

We do treats once a week or so, my 16 & 7 yr olds are gluten free, so treats fit those restrictions.

I've had good luck subverting a "I WANT CHIPS" tantrum with a larabar.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    I was watching one of my daughters tonight shovel in bite after bite of steak, pork, and sweet potato just as fast as she could chew...and she had a large snack 2 hrs prior. I was just like, wow! should I stop her? Nah...and then they get that big ol toddler tummy, I love it.
    Hah - mine goes to sleep with one of those every night, and wakes up all skinny again!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast